Holiday in US with 1 year old baby

lyra

Hi mummies, I'm going on holiday with hubby and baby who will be one year old by then to the States. Do you have experience bringing baby on long flights? One year old does not need air tix and willbe sitting on our laps? How to let baby sleep if he has no cot? How about breastfeeding one year olds? They dun need much bf by then right? It will be winter. How do you dress your baby for the winter? How to bf baby with layers of winter wear? And where do you get good winter wear for kids?

makarios

Hi mummies, I'm going on holiday with hubby and baby who will be one year old by then to the States. Do you have experience bringing baby on long flights? One year old does not need air tix and willbe sitting on our laps? How to let baby sleep if he has no cot? How about breastfeeding one year olds? They dun need much bf by then right? It will be winter. How do you dress your baby for the winter? How to bf baby with layers of winter wear? And where do you get good winter wear for kids?
I went to the west coast of USA when my girl was 8 months & 13 months. Depending on the airlines, there should be a 25-50% charge for your baby...No seat but there is some charges. For Cathay Pacific, they provide a set of diapers, baby food in containers (gerber) and some toys. They will usually put you at the bassinet seat (that is seats facing the partitioning wall of the plane.) and provide you a bassinet for the baby. I brought 3-4 blankets cos I didn't know how hygenic is the bassinet and blanket on the plane. So I lined the whole bassinet up with my blankets for her to sleep. However when there is turbulence, you need to take her out of the bassinet. I also change her to a full-length pajamas on the plane and bring along 2-3 changes just in case.

I also brought a nursing cover so that I can bf her at my seat. I will try to bf when the plane is going up and going down (as the baby will feel the most change in pressure and thus helps the baby in not having pain/discomfort in the ear.)

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions...

lyra

Thanks a lot, makarios. Does this mean I need to call the airline to tell them I'm bringing a baby along so that they can leave a bassinet for me? If I book the tix through their website, which seat should I choose so that I will have a bassinet? If I prefer to pack home made baby food, would they allow me to bring them onboard?

I went to the west coast of USA when my girl was 8 months & 13 months. Depending on the airlines, there should be a 25-50% charge for your baby...No seat but there is some charges. For Cathay Pacific, they provide a set of diapers, baby food in containers (gerber) and some toys. They will usually put you at the bassinet seat (that is seats facing the partitioning wall of the plane.) and provide you a bassinet for the baby. I brought 3-4 blankets cos I didn't know how hygenic is the bassinet and blanket on the plane. So I lined the whole bassinet up with my blankets for her to sleep. However when there is turbulence, you need to take her out of the bassinet. I also change her to a full-length pajamas on the plane and bring along 2-3 changes just in case.

I also brought a nursing cover so that I can bf her at my seat. I will try to bf when the plane is going up and going down (as the baby will feel the most change in pressure and thus helps the baby in not having pain/discomfort in the ear.)

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions...

makarios

If you buy tickets online, some airlines don't have the options for babies below 12 months to pay online. Yes then you will need to call the airline to indicate you have a baby and will need to pay accordingly. Then they will automatically put you at bassinet seat or request for it when you call. Usually the bassinet seat is not possible to book online (will always indicate occupied).

For homemade food, you may need to ask the airline if it is possible to bring porridge or liquid food in thermos etc. I tried with Cathay and SQ, both are quite sticky with the regulations. So I had to bring dry cereal and request for hot water from the stewardess. Even hot water in thermos flask is not possible esp if you are transiting in US (the checks at US is the most stringent). I have EBM (limit is 10 bottles of 100ml EBM and have to declare) and they check every single bottle. If you are thinking about food like steamed vegetables or meat (no liquid) in plastic container like locknlock, you can freeze it first and ask the stewardess to heat it up on the plane.

Ekari

Wow, so many regulation. It's really good to know all this. So BF does help with the pressure in the ear? I think very little mummies would know this and often when there's baby on the plane, they would cry.

lyra

zc31, I hope you get a straight flight there? I went to take a transit at Darwin the last time I went and the waiting plus total traveling time is so long! I dun think baby can stand it. I'd take a straight flight to Melbourne next time I go, with or without baby.

Challenging long haul.

Hope my melbourne trip works well.

lyra

Thanks for the useful advice! I'll call to book the tix then. So many things to take note of when we are bringing baby.
For food, I think I'll try some frozen food. I also will buy an organic ground brown rice powder that only need to add warm water to drink.

If you buy tickets online, some airlines don't have the options for babies below 12 months to pay online. Yes then you will need to call the airline to indicate you have a baby and will need to pay accordingly. Then they will automatically put you at bassinet seat or request for it when you call. Usually the bassinet seat is not possible to book online (will always indicate occupied).

For homemade food, you may need to ask the airline if it is possible to bring porridge or liquid food in thermos etc. I tried with Cathay and SQ, both are quite sticky with the regulations. So I had to bring dry cereal and request for hot water from the stewardess. Even hot water in thermos flask is not possible esp if you are transiting in US (the checks at US is the most stringent). I have EBM (limit is 10 bottles of 100ml EBM and have to declare) and they check every single bottle. If you are thinking about food like steamed vegetables or meat (no liquid) in plastic container like locknlock, you can freeze it first and ask the stewardess to heat it up on the plane.

cn211279

I traveled with my son on SQ to Melbourne before. Most airlines actually provide baby food (Heinz) so there is no need to bring your own onboard which will save you a lot of hassle. And breastfeeding definitely helps during takeoff and landing, my son didn't cry at all and just fell asleep which makes the travelling part so much easier.

makarios

Thanks for the useful advice! I'll call to book the tix then. So many things to take note of when we are bringing baby.
For food, I think I'll try some frozen food. I also will buy an organic ground brown rice powder that only need to add warm water to drink.
Hope all works out for you. :) Enjoy the trip...

Nidhi

hi

Hi,
Can you please tell me if it's safe to bring my 6.5 months DD to 20+ hours of flight to New York City. Lot of people I know discouraged me.
Also how you managed to bring EBM to such a long flight? The carriers I know keeps the milk safe in ice bags for max 10-12 hours.
Did you feed your baby EBM on the plane? Or cereals or formula.
Thanks a lot!!

makarios

Re: hi

Hi,
Can you please tell me if it's safe to bring my 6.5 months DD to 20+ hours of flight to New York City. Lot of people I know discouraged me.
Also how you managed to bring EBM to such a long flight? The carriers I know keeps the milk safe in ice bags for max 10-12 hours.
Did you feed your baby EBM on the plane? Or cereals or formula.
Thanks a lot!!
I also considered the safety factor when I was bringing my 8-month old to US. I was concerned over my dd's ears due to the high pressure and loud decibels of airplane engine for the 20+ hours. So the deciding factor for me is whether the trip is necessary for her. Hubby and I decided the pros outweighs the cons so we took the risk. So it is really for you and hubby to consider whether the trip is necessary and worth it.

Actually compared to the trip we took when she was 13 months, my dd's first trip when she was 8 months was much easier. Cos she slept more and not as active as a 13-month-old. So just feed, sleep, play a while and feed, sleep, on it goes till we reach destination.

I took EBM and fed her on the plane cos when she gets cranky, she refused to latch. I brought along a 12-cans cooler bag with 2 ice-packs. This will last abt 3-4hours in cooling the EBM adequately. So once in flight, I asked the air-stewardess for ice. I brought a stack of sandwich sized ziploc bags. Double it so that the ice won't cut the plastic and leak. Every 3-4 hours, I'll ask for replenishing of ice. Alternatively, you can ask the air-stewardess to put the EBM in the cooler of the plane. I'm the squeamish kind so I was afraid of cross-contamination of EBM with other food/drinks that the air-stewardess put together with the EBM. So I rather go through the inconvenience.(Btw, my EBM are all in glass bottles of 100ml each for easy access. The limit for most airlines is 10 bottles of 100ml EBM. And must declare.)

I fed my daughter cereal on flight and also avocado. Cos it's a fruit which is not necessary to cook or warm up. So avocado was really simple. I brought a whole avocado and asked the air-stewardess to cut into half lengthwise. Take out the seed and smash. Very healthy and fresh. I'll use the other half later. Kept it in the ziploc and throw into the cooler bag. For cereal, I used EBM instead of hot water. So I asked for hot water in a bowl. Warm up the EBM in the bottle and mixed it with the cereal. More nutritious and eliminate impurities from airplane water supply. :)

lyra

Re: hi

Another question regarding travel, mummies. Almost all countries stopped selling winter clothes. Asked my friend to buy from Europe and my sis from Taiwan but the shops are not selling them anymore now that its Spring. Would like to ask, where do you get winter clothes in Singapore for 14month old? I checked out Mothercare and the selection isn't a lot. I went to winter clothes shop and the youngest children winter clothes are for 3 year olds. Any recommendation please?

didy

How about trying online like the European eBay sites? I live in Germany so I use eBay.de and I still see winter clothes for babies

didy

Anyway lyra, when are you going to the states? Your baby boy is October baby right(same as mine). October should be autumn, not winter yet. Just to ensure you buy the right clothings cos autumn and winter makes a big difference in the appropriate clothings for babies