Home-made Apple Puree for Your Baby

MummyGrace

1. Peel, core and slice an eating apple.
2. Put apple slices in a saucepan with 2 to 3 tablespoons water.
3. Cover with a lid and simmer over a low to moderate heat for about 5 minutes or until apple slices are soft
4. Push the cooked apple slices through a sieve or blend to a puree in a liquidiser.
5. Cool completely before offering it to your baby

P.B.

This is something I've learnt from my MIL if you're too busy to cook the apple.

1. Slice the apple in half.
2. Use a metal spoon and scrap the flat surface of the apple with the edge of the metal spoon.
3. Small bits of apple will form on the spoon which you can spoonfeed directly to your baby.

Hope this helps some busy mummmies to save time.

stonston

This is something I've learnt from my MIL if you're too busy to cook the apple.

1. Slice the apple in half.
2. Use a metal spoon and scrap the flat surface of the apple with the edge of the metal spoon.
3. Small bits of apple will form on the spoon which you can spoonfeed directly to your baby.

Hope this helps some busy mummmies to save time.
if use this method must feed fast...cos oxidation browning will cause nutrient loss....

bubble

3. Cover with a lid and simmer over a low to moderate heat for about 5 minutes or until apple slices are soft
4. Push the cooked apple slices through a sieve or blend to a puree in a liquidiser.
I tried this recipe. but how come my blended apple turned brown?! I was feeding my 7 1/2 month old baby the brownish apple purree. Is it ok?

annie

got to freeze the left overs asap after make cos of oxidisation. mine still looks fresh.. the recipe i found tells me to slice the apples n then put jsut enough water to slightly cover the apples.

chaw

I will try to feed my baby. Thanks.

joanneang

im try to steam the apple for ard 20mins, bt how cum its turn browish?? have steam the apples for too long?? how long must i steam the apples? i try the cook the apple but its get burn easily..how shld i do in order to give my 6mth old son a nutrient apple puree...haha...

apollo

i think steam abt 10min will do aft tt use blender to blend it to puree form. the nutrients will be lost if u steam them for too long =)

meiteoh

I usually steam all my fruits for five minutes because unlike vegetables, most fruits are not as fibrous (like pumpkin or sweet potato) and will cook quickly.

atkht

May i know why must steam the fruit before feed? why it is better than to feed fresh apple to the baby?

meiteoh

May i know why must steam the fruit before feed? why it is better than to feed fresh apple to the baby?
When babies are starting solids for the first time, their tummies are still not matured enough to handle fresh fruit. That's why steaming is better - helps break down the fibers, making it easier to digest.

atkht

ic thanks! my bb 13 mths so should i give fresh fruit or steam? both will retain the same nutrients? tia

LittleWorm

After steaming the apples, is it okay to use the ice-cube storage method to freeze the apples so each time I need, I just take a cube or two n feed to my baby? Will the nutrients gone n the apples turn brown easily?

My baby 6 mths old, just started solid food not so long ago so far haven't tried apple purée yet. Better to start with steamed pears or apples first?

Steadam2011

Mix it together, increasing the amount of the home made food. The texture is probably the issue. Home made tends to be thicker and grainier. As he gets more used to the texture, he'll like it more.

Last edited:

deedeez

Jux made some apple puree today for my baby (6mth).
This what i do

1) Core the apple & cut into wedges.
2) Steam the apple wif some water and with skin on (to prevent nutrient loss).
3) I steam till it become tender (+/- 5 mins)
4) Once apple is cool, scoop the flesh out.
5) Mashed it n used a fine sieve to get the fruit puree

hackers13jo

Hi Mummies,

My parents used to run wholesales fruit business. Can I suggest that you feed fresh fruit to your babies as it is more nutritious. To prevent browning of any white based fruits like apples, pears etc. After cutting the fruits, put the fruits in water with a little bit of salt. Do not soak the fruits for a long time, just put in for a short while. This will prevent the fruits from turning brown. All fruits sellers does that so that you can have nice white based fruits at the stall. For 4 - 8 months, after cutting the fruits into pieces, put the fruits into the salt water then puree using blender. For 9 months and above, you can give small bits of fruits (as most of them will have either 2 or more tooths) so you either mash the fruits (soft fruits like papaya) or puree with blender but not too fine.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mummy Jo with Baby Tempi (10 months)