Home Theft

Cheyenne

I've a bad relationship with my MIL. Since marriage she and my 2 Bros in law are staying with us, my hubby is the eldest son. For 6 years, everyday was a torture, and I used work as an escape. Untill I was pregnant with my 2nd child (2 yrs ago), that I threaten my hubby that either we move or I move (ie divorce), in order to end this.

So we moved. Thought happy days are coming, who knows, 3 mths into the new place, I realise that all my gold pieces were missing. The boxes were there, but gold items are all missing- as good as 35 over pieces, over 5k. Straight away, we know my youngest Bros in law (BIL) stole them while we were at work in the old house. We confronted him, he denined. And I insist on making a police report.

I was so heart pain and cheated. Can you imagine walking into your room each night and yet you don't know the items were already stolen? He had stolen them bit by bit over a period of at least 2 years. And had prawned them and retain the prawn tickets to go back and claim back interest (when gold price when up, you can claim the difference). He even stole his mum gold and my 2nd BIL got to buy it back for her. They kept this quiet all these while and didn't even let my hubby know till we confronted him of the theft before police report.

The case dragged on for 1.5 years. Just 2 weeks ago, I just managed to take back 8 pcs (4 are mine and 4 are my hubby) out of the 35 stolen items. The police told me he was fine $4K, being a first offender (no records) and make to pay back the prawn shop to buy back the 8pcs (worth $1.5K) And since there wasn't any more prawn tickets, the remaining 27 items are not recoverable.

Those 27 items are mainly my 4 piece gold at marriage, my elder baby full month gifts, gifts from my late mum and some I bought over the years for memory ie my first pay, my bonus $.

All these while, there was not a single action or words from him acknowleding his mistake. The whole family just pretend nothing happen, and did not talk about this openly, just sweep under the carpet. This really make me BOIL. So dun even bother to talk about compensation to me.

I'm trapped now. I really want him to pay for his mistake and compensate me for the rest of the un recoverable items. But Police can't help me anymore, they have closed the case. They advised me that if I want to purse further, I have to get my own lawyer to take the case.

I just feel so betrayed. Why do I need to fork out $ for the law suit ? And how can I get back my items, especially they hold such memory that are all lost now. My mum just passed away recently, and some of the gold are her present to me, which is now lost for good.

Can you advise me when I can get legel advise ?

i think u shld go consult a lawyer to teach him a lesson. If not u jus confronted him to ask him pay u back bit by bit lor. If he refuse, then go seek legal advise. But if u wanna save money and save trouble, then u also keep quiet lo. It depends on what u wan.

Cheyenne

Hi Rainbow and Mandy,
Thanks for your replies.

For the pawn ticket, he told police lost or threw away, hence no way to recover.
For Confrontation, we did over sms. He replied : not him, go ahead to make police report if we want to, nothing to do with him. So I went ahead with the report as I want to find my things and dig up the master mind. Also giving him the benefit of the doubts that it is not him, or better not him. In the end, police did proofed it's him. So no use to confront him again.
I badly want to go seek legal advise and is checking out legal company now. The cost is not cheaper. $ 200 for 1 hour of consultation only.

rainbow123

Ok, he told police , but did you confirm with him again ? Tell him if he can find some of the lost ticket , then you will forgive him as all you want is to redeem back them as they are the memory that your mum left for you which is important to you .
No point going to lawyer as this will incurred so much $$$ for nothing . Anyway my suggestion is that maybe ask your hubby to ask him Nicely to prick his conscience abit ..

Cheyenne

Hi Rainbow,
Our relationship with this thief BIL is never good. And turn worst after this case. We never talk. Hubby also dun want to see him. He is the reballious type.
So no point to ask him directly. Police had did all the job.

ihmdweh

Hi Rainbow,
Our relationship with this thief BIL is never good. And turn worst after this case. We never talk. Hubby also dun want to see him. He is the reballious type.
So no point to ask him directly. Police had did all the job.
Would suggest that u leave it as it is.. no point pursuing it since police has done their job and the rest are no longer recoverable. Your husband's family will side your brother in-law at the end of the day (blood is thicker than water) no point making things so tough for your hubby for just 3.5k.. If those items are sentimental to you, you may wanna consider "buying" them back from the pawn shops that your brother in-law frequents.