How do you cook your porridge for infants?

justmint

bb is now 6mths old. So I start him slowly on the porridge.
My mom told me my bb refuse the porridge she cook...in the end he only drink the soup in the porridge.

do you cook it until it look like cereal texture? or like teochow porridge style? or after cookinhg it you blend it till it's cereal texture?

What texture should we start off with?

definitely not like teochew porridge....

for me, last time after cooking the porridge, i even blend it again... make is watery.....

and make sure no solid form inside....

anyway i feed my boy with potato more then porridge when he was young.....

i boil the potato soft, steam carrot or other veges and blend them..... after that add in cheese and mix.... yummy~

EnFlor

plain porridge and boiled pumpkins (blend them together)....bb stools will be soft and has pretty nice colour than usual.

Taste of porridge : fruity sweetness.

Pink daisy

porridge with steamed threadfn/chicken, add vegs + yolk and sprinkle with spring onion, other meals will be pumpkin mix with fruits & yoghurt

Last edited:
porridge with carrot, chicken & egg
this is what I do: boil a piece of chicken thigh in a pot and then transfer it to the slow cooker
after 1 hour
grate the carrot and steam it for a while before putting it into the soup
add in rice
cook until its soft
scoop some soup out, add a egg yolk into the soup, boil it and then put it back into the slow cooker
take the chicken out and pluck some shreds of meat out (make sure its very thin)
put those meat inside and cook for a little while more

usually before I serve I will use a spoon to mash it so its easier to swallow, and I either boil or steam the ingredients before putting it into the slow cooker because the sc is not hot enough to kill all the bacteria

leesm105

so early can take egg meh?

I thot below 1 yo not suppose to give egg. esp egg white might cause allergy... that's happen to my girl when she below 1 yo. whole face & body swollen with hives...

LoVeS

so early can take egg meh?

I thot below 1 yo not suppose to give egg. esp egg white might cause allergy... that's happen to my girl when she below 1 yo. whole face & body swollen with hives...
egg yolk is quite safe as long as dun gif egg white. In fact i given my ds whole egg when he was 8mths old already.

mmy_lizz

my mum fed my girl2 with porridge mayb in 8-9 mths.. real rice.. she actually grind the rice first then cook it with water. when t dries up she put some more water.. then cook already, then she put like carrot or fish or watever la.. but very2 small bits..

leey

my mum fed my girl2 with porridge mayb in 8-9 mths.. real rice.. she actually grind the rice first then cook it with water. when t dries up she put some more water.. then cook already, then she put like carrot or fish or watever la.. but very2 small bits..
THanks for great tips.

Nice to get that!

maMaSan

That's what I did too for my younger boy (older one rejected everything...). Ground up brown rice (cho bi), then cook approx half hour or till soft, if want extra taste add ground ikan bilis to soup whilst cooking plus hard veg e.g carrot. Leaves e.g spinach chop til very fine then add in last of all for less than a min to retain vitamins.

leey

i feed them something like congee with chopped french beans and carrots, with small pieces of minced beef. they love it lol. anw the chopped french beans are kinda small so no worries :) i chop my carrots into garlic like form, just a little bigger.
Great tips,

I seldom use french beans but ordinary type.
Maybe do a trial at this weekend.