How do you correct your child's handwriting?

autumn82

Hi all,

I'm freaking out coz of my gal's handwriting and I was wondering if any mummies have any methods to correct their horrible handwriting??? :001_302::001_302::001_302:

Besides practising writing daily, any other methods?? :embarrassed:

pink_daisy

Hi all,

I'm freaking out coz of my gal's handwriting and I was wondering if any mummies have any methods to correct their horrible handwriting??? :001_302::001_302::001_302:

my 6yrs old boy oso...some small some big, some written on the line some out of the box, sometimes no spacing after each word... chinese characters even worse..the strokes r so far apart...

i guess just have to let them keep practising.. practise make perfect! n make sure they write on the line or in the box.. i tink sooner or later, their handwriting will be better..

autumn82

my 6yrs old boy also...some small some big, some written on the line some out of the box, sometimes no spacing after each word... chinese characters even worse..the strokes are so far apart...

i guess just have to let them keep practising.. practise make perfect! and make sure they write on the line or in the box.. i tink sooner or later, their handwriting will be better..
Mine the same prob as yours.... :tlaugh:Capital and small letters seems the same size to them? I vomit blood when I see how she write words.. Omg.. The only nicest word she write so far is.. her own name.. Wahahahah :p

I'm gonna puke blood.. how? Help?

CanCanMum

baObei~~~ask her to practice writing JOLIN TSAI....sure will turn out beta wahhahahhah`~~~~

kidddin only please dun *Bish* me wahahhahah`~~~:p:p

stonston

You should correct them ASAP before it becomes a BAD HABIT that is hard to correct.

Go to Popular and buy those triple line exercise books. Practise using those. The lines will help them distinguish between capital letters and small letters better.

There are also penmanship books you can buy.

autumn82

You should correct them ASAP before it becomes a BAD HABIT that is hard to correct.

Go to Popular and buy those triple line exercise books. Practise using those. The lines will help them distinguish between capital letters and small letters better.

There are also penmanship books you can buy.
I bought those for her to practise since this year... :embarrassed: Like not much improvements... Geez..

Today, I nearly strangled her. She "forgotten" how to write small letter 'd,f,q'... :x Blood boils!!! Grrrrrr....... I made her sit and write from 3pm-5pm coz of that.

But yet the funny thing is, she can finish her assessment books w/o asking me & w correct answers. Was thinking back, when I was younger, I wasn't like that!!! Kill me!!!

Wat's penmanship books? :embarrassed:

jasobias

Hi all,

Me i didnt bother..both my sons had horrible handwriting.But the older one in p1 now n suddenly writing so beautifully.The younger one is almost 5 n his handwriting looks like the alphabets all met with some serious accident!!nothing in line n all.This is thanks to him copying his older brother when he was younger.Not to worry they all get a hang of it sooner or later.As long as they seem to be enjoying wht they r doing i am not bothered at all :001_302:

Queenbabe

I bought those for her to practise since this year... :embarrassed: Like not much improvements... Geez..

Today, I nearly strangled her. She "forgotten" how to write small letter 'd,f,q'... :x Blood boils!!! Grrrrrr....... I made her sit and write from 3pm-5pm coz of that.

But yet the funny thing is, she can finish her assessment books w/o asking me & w correct answers. Was thinking back, when I was younger, I wasn't like that!!! Kill me!!!

what's penmanship books? :embarrassed:
Wahahahaha .... lastime regine also writing like those 'Hua Fu' like that until i hold her hands & teach her how to write nicely ... the penmanship should be those wif alot of little dots those kind if im not wrong .....:001_302:

autumn82

Wahahahaha .... lastime regine also writing like those 'Hua Fu' like that until i hold her hands & teach her how to write nicely ... the penmanship should be those with alot of little dots those kind if im not wrong .....:001_302:
I did hold her hands and teach her how to write nicely leh... But then.. the next day, again same thing.. Feel like strangling her. :x

Hmm... dots?

stonston

There are a few different types of penmanship books:
1. Dotted lines for tracing
2. Blank lines with examples for you to copy
3. Cursive handwriting

At 4-5yo, they should be copying onto blank lines. If you find that the handwriting is so terrible that you can't read clearly, get dotted lines for them to practise. Another form of practise is to for muscle/hand control. Buy those books that join the dots for her to draw. It trains up the control of her hand & will allow her to write better.

ping26

A simple way is teach your child to tilt the writing paper at approx 30-45 degrees to table. You can also practise writing zig-zag or patterned lines across lined paper (min 20 cm) so that he/she becomes more aware of movement/adjustment needed => better spacing.

Pls bear in mind that most kids in Nursery have messy handwriting, ie they are still working out spatial & fine motor difficulties.

At this point (August), some kids in K1 may "struggle" with switching btw upper & lower case when printing words. By end of K2, most kids will be able to write decently as they now have enough practice.

So you don't have the time or patience, just let the teachers do the drilling...

Caveat : Clear-cut cases for referral/occupational therapy at KKH - clumsy child (needs help in feeding, dressing & many games) or unstable child (keeps falling off the chair). Age: 5.5-6.5 yo.

autumn82

A simple way is teach your child to tilt the writing paper at approx 30-45 degrees to table. You can also practise writing zig-zag or patterned lines across lined paper (min 20 cm) so that he/she becomes more aware of movement/adjustment needed => better spacing.

Pls bear in mind that most kids in Nursery have messy handwriting, ie they are still working out spatial & fine motor difficulties.

At this point (August), some kids in K1 may "struggle" with switching btw upper & lower case when printing words. By end of K2, most kids will be able to write decently as they now have enough practice.

So you dont't have the time or patience, just let the teachers do the drilling...

Caveat : Clear-cut cases for referral/occupational therapy at Kandang Kerbau Hospital - clumsy child (needs help in feeding, dressing & many games) or unstable child (keeps falling off the chair). Age: 5.5-6.5 yo.

I told her to do that too! But then sometimes she "forgets" and the letters goes crooked also.. Erase and rewrite lohh.. I saw most of her classmates writing.. All quite nice and neat unlike hers.. *zzz*

ping26

I told her to do that too! But then sometimes she "forgets" and the letters goes crooked also.. Erase and rewrite lohh.. I saw most of her classmates writing.. All quite nice and neat unlike hers.. *zzz*
How abt putting a reminder on her table? e.g. "pls tilt paper" or a sample of her "messy" handwriting. Or mark out the area on the table (ie draw a parallelogram)?

Chill....:Dancing_wub:

glenndanker

Alpha Male
How about putting a reminder on her table? e.g. "pls tilt paper" or a sample of her "messy" handwriting. Or mark out the area on the table (ie draw a parallelogram)?

Chill....:Dancing_wub:
Every little steps to us is a big step to our little darling, mum and dad please exercise patience. You can try using a ruler to guide them to write and reward them whenever they improve. Encourage instead of scolding . Don't be disheartened sure results will come, be positive

autumn82

Every little steps to us is a big step to our little darling, mum and dad please exercise patience. You can try using a ruler to guide them to write and reward them whenever they improve. Encourage instead of scolding . dont't be disheartened sure results will come, be positive
Thanks Glenndanker! My gal's handwriting has improved tremendously after speaking to her teacher and under both our supervision.. :tlaugh:She'll get super anxious when I tell her U better do it properly, Teacher Ros is gonna mark your homework.. :x :tlaugh:

Spiralng

Thanks Glenndanker! My gal's handwriting has improved tremendously after speaking to her teacher and under both our supervision.. :tlaugh:She'll get super anxious when I tell her you better do it properly, Teacher Ros is gonna mark your homework.. :x :tlaugh:
hee..hee...glad to hear that her writing improved. For me, before my girl practised their writing, I will write it for them first in an exercise book and they will copied my writing...so far it works. Psssssst....i never ask my hubby to write cos his writing is worse than my girls...even my girls also laugh at him.

autumn82

hee..hee...glad to hear that her writing improved. For me, before my girl practised their writing, I will write it for them first in an exercise book and they will copied my writing...so far it works. Psssssst....i never ask my hubby to write cos his writing is worse than my girls...even my girls also laugh at him.
I do write for her too.. But her hands won't listen to her mind.. :tlaugh:

Spiralng

I do write for her too.. But her hands won't listen to her mind.. :tlaugh:
u cannot pressure her...hee..hee...if u rush than her hands won't worked. Cos she scare and stress mahhh... My kids take their own sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet time to write and by then i almost Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............but at least their writing still ok.

autumn82

you cannot pressure her...hee..hee...if you rush than her hands won't worked. Cos she scare and stress mahhh... My kids take their own sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet time to write and by then i almost Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............but at least their writing still ok.
She writes 1 page for 2hrs daily? Not enuff time?! :embarrassed: *faintz*