How do you feed your baby plain water when he's already eating solids?

Mama Ilhan

Dear Mothers,

Any idea how i can feed my dear little boy, 7 months, with plain
water after he has his meals like pureed food or other solid food?
I have tried adding the rose hip syrup to the plain water to add some flavour to it, but he still resist.
The gynae said that its better if he's drinking some plainwater especially when already on solids - for digestion purposes and to prevent constipation

Any suggestions??

autumn82

Dear Mothers,

Any idea how i can feed my dear little boy, 7 months, with plain
water after he has his meals like pureed food or other solid food?
I have tried adding the rose hip syrup to the plain water to add some flavour to it, but he still resist.
The gynae said that its better if he's drinking some plainwater especially when already on solids - for digestion purposes and to prevent constipation

Any suggestions??
:err:Feed as in using spoon, sprout cup, straw, or milk bottle? :001_302: I've tried all and ended up using Pigeon straw cup. I just left the bottle there, constantly reminding him to drink his water. When he just started on his semi solids, he doesn't take water at all. :001_302: I just added more water into his milk.

Just to share with you, Iggy wasn't a water loving person since young all the way until 17mths+. Just one day, he took his bottle and finished up the water in the bottle. I guess, one day they will understand that they need to drink some water too. :tlaugh:

Btw, is your ds experiencing any constipation due to lack of water? If no and he's fine, I think you can slowly introduce him plain water :)

Mama Ilhan

:err:Feed as in using spoon, sprout cup, straw, or milk bottle? :001_302: I've tried all and ended up using Pigeon straw cup. I just left the bottle there, constantly reminding him to drink his water. When he just started on his semi solids, he doesn't take water at all. :001_302: I just added more water into his milk.

Just to share with you, Iggy wasn't a water loving person since young all the way until 17mths+. Just one day, he took his bottle and finished up the water in the bottle. I guess, one day they will understand that they need to drink some water too. :tlaugh:

Btw, is your dear son experiencing any constipation due to lack of water? If no and he's fine, I think you can slowly introduce him plain water :)
Hi Autumn82,

My son has no constipation problems its just that the grandma is making a fuss about not drinking plain water from young and well i tried the sippy cup but my friend who is a speech therapist advised me to avoid using sippy cup as it will result in some delayed speech articulation . .

I agree with you. I think they will realise it themselves one day rather than forcing him. Thank you so much!!

autumn82

Hi Autumn82,

My son has no constipation problems its just that the grandma is making a fuss about not drinking plain water from young and well i tried the sippy cup but my friend who is a speech therapist advised me to avoid using sippy cup as it will result in some delayed speech articulation . .

I agree with you. I think they will realise it themselves one day rather than forcing him. Thank you so much!!
:001_302: No problem. It's always the case, the elders making noise. :tlaugh:

No prob. Sippy cup results in some delayed speech articulation? Omg... serious?

Mama Ilhan

That's what she mentioned. I have yet to get some articles/research journals from her.
She was suggesting to just use the cup without the
sippy spout - i think Tommy Tipee sells one of those cups with small holes for babies who are beginning to drink from cup.

celine low

feed him 2-3 spoon solid food and feed him water in milk bottle. what brand u using for the milk bottle? My boy only want NUK if feed water. Avent he little also dunt want .
or when baby everytime drink fomula milk like 150ml is about 5scop but u give only 4 scop.

meiteoh

I started with a spoon, followed by a spout and then a straw. I stuck to giving her water after each meal and in between feeds. I made sure that she sees me drinking water ALL the time. Oh, and by water, I mean, just water - no juice. Sometimes I'll pour in some water into her fruit puree jar and swirl it around before giving it to her in a spoon. But otherwise, her spout and straw cup only contains water.

I still remember her first reaction towards water - she made such an "ewwww yucks" face. Now? She gets all excited when she sees the straw cup, especially after a meal! The key is perseverance and patience.

Does he like eating from a spoon? If so, try feeding from a spoon first. This is to tell him that water is a must after every meal. Once he's okay with taking water from a spoon and shows you that he wants more water by leaning forward, you can try to intro water in a cup or bottle. Be prepared for him to miss more than drink. At this point, you may end up experimenting with the cup, spout or straw. Choose whichever works best for the both of you, especially your baby.

Eva chews more on the spout but because at that time (5.5 mths), she wasn't ready for the straw so I would monitor her water intake closely and was more religiously in offering her water - from either the spout or spoon. Then about nearly two months later, I whipped out the straw top, took a sip from her straw cup in front of her, gave it to her and voila, she sucked and drank from the straw cup. Since then, she has been drinking from just a straw cup...even EBM. No bottles. :D

Mummy to Baby V

I offer my boy some water through an open cup or simply through his bowl after meals. He does not take the bottle, which is fine as that means no need to wean off bottle. Just keep offering and he'll get the idea soon. I don't add anything into the water, so that he knows that water tastes that way - plain & fresh. He's very easy-going with anything I feed him, so maybe I'm lucky.

By the way, he uses Combi Step 4 Mug http://www.mummysreviews.com/2009/10/30/combi-mug-step-4-standard-mug/

danceofbliss

I add a few drops of honey or gripe water just for the taste and I also notice that my baby likes the water a little warm so it works for me but sometimes I didn't want to add anything just to get her used to plain water and she drinks, though not as much as when I added honey/gripe water. And perhaps u can feed the baby at different timings too say when he wakes up etc. Anyway, I started when my baby was born and it works for me.

Mummy to Baby V

I add a few drops of honey or gripe water just for the taste and I also notice that my baby likes the water a little warm so it works for me but sometimes I didn't want to add anything just to get her used to plain water and she drinks, though not as much as when I added honey/gripe water. And perhaps you can feed the baby at different timings too say when he wakes up etc. Anyway, I started when my baby was born and it works for me.
All Mummies: please note "The American Academy of Pediatrics advises that honey should not be added to food, water, or formula that is fed to infants younger than 12 months of age."
More details at When is Honey safe for Baby? Honey Safety and Your Baby - Age to Introduce Honey to a Baby and Information about Infant Botulism from Honey

raeka

well maybe u can add ribena for him or the grapes water gulcose .
then slowly reduce the sweetness and become plain water .. maybe he might like it .
er.. why not, u drink one spoon he srink one spoon sharing like that, maybe he though is fun and it might work .

so far my boy love plain water more then milk.

Agree, honey is not allow to them.

* keep trying * jia you.

cocraze

well maybe you can add ribena for him or the grapes water gulcose .
then slowly reduce the sweetness and become plain water .. maybe he might like it .
er.. why not, you drink one spoon he srink one spoon sharing like that, maybe he though is fun and it might work .

so far my boy love plain water more then milk.

Agree, honey is not allow to them.

* keep trying * jia you.
I thought I recall a line on the Ribena bottle that it shouldnot be fed to children below 12 months of age?

Mummy to Baby V

I thought I recall a line on the Ribena bottle that it shouldnot be fed to children below 12 months of age?
I agree that Ribena is not suitable for babies, it has a lot of additives. If there is a need to sweeten the water, can always squeeze a bit of fresh pear juice in.

cocraze

I agree that Ribena is not suitable for babies, it has a lot of additives. If there is a need to sweeten the water, can always squeeze a bit of fresh pear juice in.
My sister sometimes puts a slice of apple in it. Her mother-in-law would cook some apple-flavoured water for him to drink I think. I think you can probably do the same with other sweet fruits. But do make sure you test to check that baby is okay with consuming that fruit in the first place.