How do you praise your child's effort?

snowee

Hi,

do you praise your child when he did something right? I always clap hands and hurray when he did right. Am i right?

:Dancing_wub:thks.

apollo

yes of cos! kids deserve to get praised for doing the right things. by praising them, we are also encouraging them to continue learning the right things. =)

When my boy was lil, like before 12mths. I always clap n act like im very very impress whenever he do right things, emphasing on terms like gd boy ,well behave, im happy etc. Till few mths later when he is able to understand, i let him decide if he wants to b a gd boy or notti boy. Whether he wants to behave well n mummy is happy or if he wanna misbehave n make mummy unhappy.
Of cos, he wld rather behave the right way. This help when he was going through the terrible twos stage. Letting him make his own decision gives him a better sense of control for himself.
I also use reward method, though most of the time its just cos i wanna spoil him feels like giving him something which makes him happy. A new toy or a sweet treat. As parent i very much wanna spoil my kid, but im very afraid overdoing will made him become a spoilt brat thinking he can have everything he wants. So whenever i wanna give him something i will let him know its becos of his certain gd behavior n thats his reward.
Of cos, theres a limit to it also. Overdoing the praising part, kid may end up being over confident. Overdoing the reward method, kid may expect something in return for everything he do. So, depending on the age of the kid, have to adjust our praising/reward method.

Mummy to Baby V

Praising positive behavior is very important. I give my boy a kiss and a big, secure, long hug. This hugging method is strongly suggested by Shichida to let child feel parent's love deeply, and he'd continue to behave well. It works very well for us. :)

znljubica

I praised my children and sometimes celebrated their success. I have often praised them in my society and their friends.I did not reward them by money or gifts.

Ting

yup, praising also boosts the kid's morale and encourage them to continue doing the right stuffs. :)

Mummy to Baby V

i read somewhere that you must praise for his efforts and not his ability. for example, let's say a child score full marks for a maths test, praise him for working hard and practicing maths questions, but not praise him for being smart.

How To Give Children Encouragement & Praise | LIVESTRONG.COM
Oh yes, I read this too. That's why i don't say "clever boy" and asked all at home not to say that. We use "well done", "good try", "good job", "great effort", etc.

i read somewhere that you must praise for his efforts and not his ability. for example, let's say a child score full marks for a maths test, praise him for working hard and practicing maths questions, but not praise him for being smart.

How To Give Children Encouragement & Praise | LIVESTRONG.COM
This helps lots!! Now i know the right terms to use when praising. Im kinda worried bout over doing the praising part n he ends up being over confident self centred n thinks too highly of himself. I think the praising efforts is kinda like encouraging n acknowledge the efforts.