How do you teach Mandarin??

autumn82

Hi all,

How do you all start teaching your kids mandarin?? Belle is in K1 this year and her chinese :err::err::err: :001_302::001_302::001_302:.

Just buy assessment books and let them practise? Read chinese storybooks *freak out*?!

Do they need to learn Han Yu Pin Yin b4 entering primary school??

pokemon97

i borrow chinese story book from library and use card to teach him. As for assessment books, he only do Eng & Maths. Most of the Chinese words he learn and write is from his school K1.

Ting

this is a gd qn.. im also headache.. pin doesnt speak chi..... but her tr say in sch during chi lessons she is pretty good.. but still.... my frens tell me she very jiak gan dang...

diymummy

How abt putting up those charts at home?

Or if you are willing to spend, I saw some DVDs called Wink-to-Learn...

Ting

i m considering chinese enrichment, but my mum tell me no need. she say when we were younger also didnt go for such classes n our chinese is pretty good....

Daddy D

Alpha Male
i m considering chinese enrichment, but my mum tell me no need. she say when we were younger also didnt go for such classes and our chinese is pretty good....
Can try the trial class 1st...
My dd just started attending Han Lang @ United Sq... pretty basic... but just for exposure... hopes she picks up more Chinese words...

Hi all,

How do you all start teaching your kids mandarin?? Belle is in K1 this year and her chinese :err::err::err: :001_302::001_302::001_302:.

Just buy assessment books and let them practise? Read chinese storybooks *freak out*?!

Do they need to learn Han Yu Pin Yin before entering primary school??
I also lazy to read chinese books to dd... she reads more English books with my wife...
So I try to communicate in Chinese with her... but always have the habit to switch to English...
Han Yu Pin Yin...not good in the sense that the kid will try to read it the phonics way... instead of recognising the chinese characters... but depending which school of thoughts u believe in...
tat's y Chinese standard in pri school is kinda dropping compared to my time... now got lower level of Chinese proficiency for weaker students, if I'm not wrong... last time where got?

Daddy D

Alpha Male
How about putting up those charts at home?

Oh ya... I got the Wink to Learn 2... pretty ok... but after a few runs also bored...

Or get the kid to sing chinese songs....

autumn82

i borrow chinese story book from library and use card to teach him. As for assessment books, he only do Eng & Maths. Most of the Chinese words he learn and write is from his school K1.
Ya, for Belle, currently also learn chinese characters from school only. I saw her writing, was horrible and when I asked her what word is that.. She replied,"I don't know". When I asked her what she learnt in chinese class, she replied, "erm.. I don't know". That day, she sang us a chinese song that her teacher taught her.. My DH & I almost fainted, dunno is malay or tamil song.. :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:

Yeah, currently Belle also doing Eng/Maths/Science only. *shakes head* U using Chinese flashcards?

autumn82

this is a good qn.. im also headache.. pin doesnt speak chi..... but her tr say in sch during chi lessons she is pretty good.. but still.... my friends tell me she very jiak gan dang...
:001_302::001_302::001_302: Same, mine can speak but less than 1 sentence, she starts english once again. When MIL asked her something, she will come running to me, "mummy, I dunno how to tell ah ma.." *faintz*

autumn82

How about putting up those charts at home?

I gave up putting up charts coz it keeps on DROPPING! LOL. :p

DVDs? I'm afraid of letting her see too much TV/monitor, dun wanna spoil her eyesight.. :p I also prefer more hands-on..

autumn82

i m considering chinese enrichment, but my mum tell me no need. she say when we were younger also didnt go for such classes and our chinese is pretty good....
I'm also considering enrichment but only when she gets K2 next year.. I guess most elders don't buy enrichment classes.. :p Typical.

autumn82

Can try the trial class 1st...
My dear daughter just started attending Han Lang @ United Sq... pretty basic... but just for exposure... hopes she picks up more Chinese words...

I also lazy to read chinese books to dear daughter... she reads more English books with my wife...
So I try to communicate in Chinese with her... but always have the habit to switch to English...
Han Yu Pin Yin...not good in the sense that the kid will try to read it the phonics way... instead of recognising the chinese characters... but depending which school of thoughts you believe in...
that's why Chinese standard in pri school is kinda dropping compared to my time... now got lower level of Chinese proficiency for weaker students, if I'm not wrong... last time where got?
I think somehow, ya, u r rite. :p I'm also like that. Wahahahah.

Wahhh.. got lower level? I tot only got higher chinese? Wahahahha. BEST.

CanCanMum

guess gonna speak to them baaa....funny rite? suddenly switch to Mandarin....lols

or watch chinese cartoons? Like Sakura momoko? Xiao Ding Dang? Xiao Tian Tian????

autumn82

So conclusion is, read storybooks, flashcards, DVDs, assessment books, and speak more??

But on the other hand, if she mastered her mandarin, then forgets her angmoh how? :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:Ignore me, I'm paranoid. :p

But I wonder how many parents feel that as long as your kid managed to pass the chinese test will do? Don't have to focus tt much..?? :p

autumn82

guess gonna speak to them baaa....funny rite? suddenly switch to Mandarin....lols

or watch chinese cartoons? Like Sakura momoko? Xiao Ding Dang? Xiao Tian Tian????
Talking abt cartoons, SVC got the disney channel, can change to mandarin. I tried changing it. Belle stunned. :p Then tell me, mummy y so funny?! The hotdog song, becomes, "zhen shuai zhen shuai.. " Wahahahah I also dunno how they translate.. :p

CanCanMum

Talking about cartoons, SVC got the disney channel, can change to mandarin. I tried changing it. Belle stunned. :p Then tell me, mummy why so funny?! The hotdog song, becomes, "zhen shuai zhen shuai.. " Wahahahah I also dont know how they translate.. :p
eeks~~~~personally i find the chinese mickey mouse cartoon really sucks lorrr.....lols~~~~

every sunday morning at 9am got show at channel 8.....but funny baber enjoys it lols

our childhood days we always watch the matchstick mickey mouse cartoon rite??? i find its funny to change to chinese lorrr hahah~~~