How do you teach PHONICS?

Charbabe

ohhh....... im actually considering to get leapfrog from amazon.com, but now heard from u all abt word world... hmmm... dunno which to get...

Anyone else can give me comments on tis 2 phonics dvd? And hw much is both by e way?

stonston

For Word World they do not teach you all the sounds. It's more like 'spelling'.

Leapfrog has many DVDs, depends on which one you buy. There's basics, there's blending & there's complex words and there's also reading.

Price-wise, Popular is selling 1 episode of Word World DVD for $19.90 before discount. If I'm not wrong, there's a total of 25 episodes (I need to check my set to be sure).
Leapfrog I'm not too sure as I bought my set very long ago (when my boy was 6mths old).

Daddy D

Alpha Male
errr.. dont't need to buy ... go to progressivephonics.com

I'm using it together with starfall.com with my dear daughter now. She loves the time spent with me. By the way, she thinks its FUN and asks for it. Which I like cos I dont't want it to feel like WORK. I spend about 15 mins per session and have broken up the lesson over about 3 days.
Cool... just tried starfall.com... dd enjoyed it... thanks, jopeck!
progressivephonics... need to register... so haven't tried.... :)

For Word World they do not teach you all the sounds. It's more like 'spelling'.

Leapfrog has many DVDs, depends on which one you buy. There's basics, there's blending & there's complex words and there's also reading.

Price-wise, Popular is selling 1 episode of Word World DVD for $19.90 before discount. If I'm not wrong, there's a total of 25 episodes (I need to check my set to be sure).
Leapfrog I'm not too sure as I bought my set very long ago (when my boy was 6mths old).
hi stonston... where to buy the leapfrog dvds? Only saw it from ebay or amazon... tasked by wifey to look for it... haiz... :)

stonston

I bought them from Tower.com. Always buy from them as they hv intl shipping tt's cheap. but I tink they run out of leapfrog already.

stonston

Local have, but they selling $29.90 PER DISC. Which is more exp than buying online (I paid $60 for 4 discs). I got lobang to buy good quality replica ones if you want :p

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Local have, but they selling $29.90 PER DISC. Which is more exp than buying online (I paid $60 for 4 discs). I got lobang to buy good quality replica ones if you want :p
Pirated CDs ahh?? I WANT! hehe :)
I'm not too into educational CDs.... since online got free... serves the same purpose... moreover depends on the kids' mood... rather go for classroom training... :)

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Hey, I managed to find a chinese website with the streaming LeapFrog cartoons... I think they have all the series... but kinda slow to stream... n broken links when I try to download... duh... 2nite try to download again...

But I find a lot of talking in the beginning... intro to the letter factory... what it does... then many voices singing together... then the vowels... complex letters...

On 1st try, I find it pretty confusing and difficult to grap the kid's attention.
Have to let my dd try, then see whether she likes it or not.

:)

stonston

Hey, I managed to find a chinese website with the streaming LeapFrog cartoons... I think they have all the series... but kinda slow to stream... and broken links when I try to download... duh... 2nite try to download again...

But I find a lot of talking in the beginning... intro to the letter factory... what it does... then many voices singing together... then the vowels... complex letters...

On 1st try, I find it pretty confusing and difficult to grap the kid's attention.
Have to let my dear daughter try, then see whether she likes it or not.

:)
My son does not listen during the talking. He only likes the songs & imitates the sounds :p That's more impt at his age :p

Daddy D

Alpha Male
I fast forward :p
Ha! My wifey also ask me to fast forward.
Let dd watched the Letter Factory yst... she likes it... singing along with the phonics song...
The other series.... she seems a bit lost... just watching cartoon.
Just ordered 1 dvd through Ebay to try out... less then S$20 with shipping... b4 wifey nags :)