How do you teach PHONICS?

stonston

I've been trying to teach my son phonics. But he only seems to be interested to learn from watching cartoons (mummy is too BORING).

I'm looking for interesting DVDs to get for him, any recommendations?
Do let me know the name, price and where I can buy it. Thanks!

jasobias

I've been trying to teach my son phonics. But he only seems to be interested to learn from watching cartoons (mummy is too BORING).

I have been watching Wordworld with my kid.Its a cute cartoon with stuff in it made up of words.Its available in dvd abt 21.90 at all major stores like isetan,BHG n all.Give it a try:001_302:

stonston

I have the whole series of Word World and my son loves it. But it does not really teach individual sounds of the alphabets.

jasobias

hehehhe..ok...not many cartoons choices apart fr tht then..u cld just sound the alphabets randomly whenever u see them ard like on notice boards n stuff..kids do still listen..i tot i was making no headway until my kid decided to surprise me one day by using phonics to read some words...dont give up just yet!!!

stonston

How old was your boy when he surprised you?

My boy can nvr sit still. Once you meet him, you'll understand my worry. hahah!

jasobias

my eldest was abt 2 plus n younger one 3.Now they r 7 n almost 5 .But the younger one can never sit still..asking him to read is like poking my eyes out..i guess eventually they learn how to read anyways so my attitude is now really laid back n the younger one tries to impress me with new words now n then.

stonston

My boy already 2.5yo. I've been trying to teach him but my work schedule is very tight. And my hb is very laid back. Dun care about academics type. can't stand him!

jasobias

hehheh..its always up to the mother..but seriously 2.5 yrs old is abit young..just keep sounding the phonics.My eldest son cld have been an exception coz he cld write when he was 2.Now i am so laid back..dont think kids need to be pushed.My younger son doesnt even attend school regularly ..maybe 1 or 2 times a week.Only the one in p1 goes to school everyday.The younger one stays home with me either he watches tv or spends his time building stuff with the bionicles or playing with transformers.Yet he is considered above average in intelligence.Kids learn more through play i guess. My tv is on most of the time..when i hog the tv they watch medical shows with me or CSI n stuff n their vocab is amazing.So dont be too hard on urself..just take a step back n u will be amazed!!i sure was :)

stonston

My boy can write up to alphabet F already. He can recognise all the alphabets in upper and lower case. That day we were trying out the new DVDs I bought, one of them teaches phonics and he immediately liked it! Kept repeating 'c' (ke) 'a' (ah) 't' (te) 'cat!'

my son's vocab is amazing at his age. even my aunt who taught me english was amazed. he picked it all up from the tv shows he watch (educational programs) and he also watches CSI/Oprah/Discovery Channel with me.

He's showing interest tt's y i wanna make sure he gets the opportunity to explore before he loses interest.

But his dad not interested at all and I now I'm teaching my maid maths so that she can teach my boy. ARGH!!!!

jasobias

hahhahah..my husband is also very laid back...but seriously a 2.5 yrs old kid doesnt need to be taught yet.I only started teaching my eldest kid then coz i had a new baby n wanted to distract him.Imagine my surprise when i realised he cld write words n stuff without even being taught to trace .Since he was interested i pursued it.My younger son doesnt have tht kind of interest.so just letting him be.Even at p1 my son doesnt have tuition.If he has homework he finishes it n then just plays with his younger brother the whole day.If they get bored they help clean up the house,vacuum n stuff...fold the laundry..n massage me since i am 34 weeks pregnant n always in pain..hahhaha..

yan2

I am ordering this phonics for my dd : http://www.hookedonphonics.com/learn-to-read-pre-k-premium

I also bought a phonic cd from mustafa, quite good...in the show, a teacher teaching to a group of kids...how to write the alphabet and its sounds...

stonston

I also ordered Hooked On Phonics already. But mine is this one: Hooked on Phonics Set - FUN-damentals/FUN in Motion/FUNtastic Animals.

jasobias

oooh i just remembered..go look for the vtech toys..esp the caterpillar..it sounds the phonics when u press on its legs.Vtech is actually great for phonics..kid wont even know he is learning!!!

Charbabe

Hi,

seen from other forum that leapfrog dvd is good! wow.... so impress with u all... my dd is already 21mths but has nt really start to teach her alphabets, except letting her watch e brainy baby ABC.

Ting

waaaaaaaah~ so young alr so smart.
*stress*
maybe i shld start pin on phonics alr!

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
errr.. don't need to buy lah... go to progressivephonics.com

I'm using it together with starfall.com with my dd now. She loves the time spent with me. By the way, she thinks its FUN and asks for it. Which I like cos I don't want it to feel like WORK. I spend abt 15 mins per session and have broken up the lesson over about 3 days.

Hi,

seen from other forum that leapfrog dvd is good! wow.... so impress with you all... my dear daughter is already 21mths but has not really start to teach her alphabets, except letting her watch e brainy baby ABC.
Hi... Bought a Leapfrog fridge-magnetic phonics player few yrs ago when my eldest girl was abt 2 yrs old... I find it a pretty gd intro to young kids... Simply insert each individual 26 alphabets onto the player n press for the sound for alphabet... Think it cost no more than $50. Subsequently sent her to 'I Can Read' class when she ard 4 yrs old n the result was pretty gd as well. Eventhough my girl who is 6 now din complete the entire programme with the centre but now she really can read quite a number of short stories with minimal guidance...

Hi mummies,

Ever bought a Leapfrog phonics player for my eldest girl few yrs ago when she's ard 2... It's actually a fridge magnet n comes with 26 individual alphabets. To learn the sound of each alphabet, simply insert it onto the player n press it for the sound... Think it cost no more than $50 from ToyR'Us.. Subsequently send her to 'I Can Read' class when she's 4+. Now after abt 1+ yrs with the centre, she manage to read quite a number of short stories with minimal guidance (although she din complete the entire programme when she stopped the class few mths ago).

stonston

My boy now attending phonics class. It's more of a play class and subtly adding phonics into it. But he still dun catch cos their songs very fast & he's new to the class.

But he's learning very fast from watching the phonics DVDs i've bought & the phonics class teachers say he's independant, so once he turns 3 in Jan 2010, they'll transfer him to the older kids class where they'll learn phonics more indepth.