How early did you start your maternity leave?

diymummy

I applied my maternity leave only after I gave birth. One month before I going to give birth I already started to instruct people what to do in my absence as well as do a proper handover.

I'm glad I didn't started earlier because then I have more time to spend with my baby after he was born.

paull

My EDD is on 18th Dec, intend to take my leave from 14th onwards..but as the date drew nearer, cant wait to start my leave earlier to laze at home..so started on 7th instead..
I guess it's better cuz it allows you to have more time to rest and prepare yourself..

Pamper

I took 2 weeks before EDD for my 1st child. Luckily my princess arrive 2 days before EDD. ^^ Agree with paull that u can also take the time to rest and prepare. I feel it's better.

Last edited:

sunburst

For me I worked all the way till I delivered as I wanted to have more time to spend with my newborn. There really wasn't very much for me to prepare for the arrival of our newborn as one month before we had everything all readied. Also about two months before my EDD I started delegating my tasks to various people, I would still continue my work as normal but I just made sure they were kept in the loop so that in any case they can pick up and continue for me.

I guess if you're feeling fine and have everything ready, it would be good to go to work but take it easy. At least it helps to keep your mind of thinking about the newborn and when it will arrive. Just make sure that you keep a small bag with you when nearing to your EDD. For me I packed my admission letter, a sanitary pad, a disposable panty & a face towel. So in case if my waterbag broke or if I had show, then I can quickly clean up a little and go down to the hospital. I even told one of my colleague that he is my designated driver to the hospital and another who had to call & inform my DH to meet me at the hospital... of which they readily agreed to help.

iwan2noe

For me I worked all the way till I delivered as I wanted to have more time to spend with my newborn. There really wasn't very much for me to prepare for the arrival of our newborn as one month before we had everything all readied. Also about two months before my EDD I started delegating my tasks to various people, I would still continue my work as normal but I just made sure they were kept in the loop so that in any case they can pick up and continue for me.

I guess if you're feeling fine and have everything ready, it would be good to go to work but take it easy. At least it helps to keep your mind of thinking about the newborn and when it will arrive. Just make sure that you keep a small bag with you when nearing to your EDD. For me I packed my admission letter, a sanitary pad, a disposable panty & a face towel. So in case if my waterbag broke or if I had show, then I can quickly clean up a little and go down to the hospital. I even told one of my colleague that he is my designated driver to the hospital and another who had to call & inform my dear husband to meet me at the hospital... of which they readily agreed to help.
Very good plan sunburst. And I think u are very organised and well planned! well done! :)

peacefulgal

I guess if you're feeling fine and have everything ready, it would be good to go to work but take it easy. At least it helps to keep your mind of thinking about the newborn and when it will arrive. Just make sure that you keep a small bag with you when nearing to your EDD. For me I packed my admission letter, a sanitary pad, a disposable panty & a face towel. So in case if my waterbag broke or if I had show, then I can quickly clean up a little and go down to the hospital. I even told one of my colleague that he is my designated driver to the hospital and another who had to call & inform my dear husband to meet me at the hospital... of which they readily agreed to help.
wow that was so cool! had been feeling some pain at the bottom of my tummy when i walk nowadays, so maybe i will still take early ML afterall. i got flustered easily when it comes to such unpredictable events. :p

marlysha

for my case...my EDD is 2/2/09...but i start my maternity leave frm 4/1/09..i now its early...since there is someone took over my job i might as well stay at home and rest....

sufeit0115

Like many mummies here, my ideal scenario is to take my maternity leave 1 or 2 weeks before edd, but in reality i worked until the final hours before admitted to KK at 37 weeks on 16 Nov for induction due to low amniotic fluid. I wasn't prepared at all to give birth when i had my gynae visit on the same day's noon.

It's my regret i didn't have the chance to rest well before my delivery....cos now it's many sleepless night....undisturbed 8 hrs sleep at night is my TOP wish list now for year 2010.... :) Enjoy your last moment of pregnancy, really missed those days when i had my baby in my stomach kicking!!

Last edited:

DodoTan

I planned my leave to start about 2 wks before edd. Don't want to be in class when I go into labour... What would I tell the students? "Class, I want you to do this worksheet now. Monitor, you look after the class. Mrs Noh needs to go give birth now?" hahaha...

Phoebii Cheng

For me I worked till I give birth the next day......cos' my son came out 2 weeks early than the expected date
I would advise you to take leave early, as normally they say 1st child will be 2wks early, plus minus......

peacefulgal

I planned my leave to start about 2 wks before edd. dont't want to be in class when I go into labour... What would I tell the students? "Class, I want you to do this worksheet now. Monitor, you look after the class. Mrs Noh needs to go give birth now?" hahaha...
so u are in education line too! hahaa, that's why i am contemplating to take ML early. dun want to disrupt the class. :p

Raina

My EDD is on 20 Jan, planning to start on 18 Jan...actually now I've started to feel the strain, tightening in the tummy...dunno if can wait till 18 Jan...

WinnieL

taking maternity leave 2 weeks before edd. thought i should just stay home and rest. and anyway, people all say that 1st child usually come out early. don't know whether true or not. just have to wait and see what my girl feels like doing. just hope she doesn't come out too late.

angelia286

My EDD is on 3rd Feb 2010. However, I am still at work! :001_302: I plan to take ML 3 days before the EDD as want to take my salary first. Otherwise how to pay for the hospital bill??