How long have you breastfed?

How long have you breastfed?

• Total voters

Vone

Howdy,
Am a newbie here, currently BF, 4 mths n going, hope to cont until cannot tahan anymore. Just wondering with you ladies how's the weight gain progress? Mine seems amazingly rapid leh...ppl said he's big baby but pedi says OK
Cheers
Pink Daisy :) Im facing the same thing as u ! hehe baby put on 1.7kg instead of the usual 1kg in a month ! My Pedi says its good ! Advise me to continue bfing my baby for at least 6 months ! Cheers

LSmummy

supply is getting real low. as i seldom express...
anyway to get back the supply? eg, herbal soup, red dates drink...

summer

Howdy,
Am a newbie here, currently BF, 4 mths n going, hope to cont until cannot tahan anymore. Just wondering with you ladies how's the weight gain progress? Mine seems amazingly rapid leh...ppl said he's big baby but pedi says OK
Cheers
pink, i been bf-ing my son since birth...he's oso overweight...i quite concern coz pd has advised to 'control' his semi-solid diet..no carbo...just fruits and veg..

i thot bf babies will not have problem with their weight..but mine seems otherwise...

any bf mommies care to share? i duno to be happy that i got a chubby baby or sad coz he might face obesity issue...how har?

Pink daisy

Yday I went to the paedi, he told me usually baby doubling his birthweight by 4th or even 5th month, but mine is almost tripling in barely 3 mths! Nevertheless he said it's v good, and told me to continue BF as long as I could. Like what's Jo said, weight should be least the matter as long as babies have all the nutrients needed.

Still, if you compare with babies born in diff generation (e.g. like our gen), they are seem to be bigger ( and hope to be better) in their own times! :wong19: I'll take it as an evolution :Dancing_tongue:so not too worry lah!

Pink daisy

Drink lotsof liquid, supplemet milk and green bean soup ( boil the bean until the water turns clear green then drink) and eats lots of papaya. It works for me!

elaine01

Drink lotsof liquid, supplemet milk and green bean soup ( boil the bean until the water turns clear green then drink) and eats lots of papaya. It works for me!
may try the green bean water............too much papaya will diarrhea le.....

for mummies who nurse beyond 2 years, what is your pumping interval & how much can you get from both breasts per session?:err:

summer

Yday I went to the paedi, he told me usually baby doubling his birthweight by 4th or even 5th month, but mine is almost tripling in barely 3 mths! Nevertheless he said it's v good, and told me to continue BF as long as I could. Like what's Jo said, weight should be least the matter as long as babies have all the nutrients needed.

Still, if you compare with babies born in diff generation (e.g. like our gen), they are seem to be bigger ( and hope to be better) in their own times! :wong19: I'll take it as an evolution :Dancing_tongue:so not too worry lah!
pink, care to share ya bb's weight?

i feeling very stressed out...my bb is weighing 13kg at 7.5mths! his birth weight is 3.75kg...

Pink daisy

pink, care to share ya bb's weight?

i feeling very stressed out...my bb is weighing 13kg at 7.5mths! his birth weight is 3.75kg...
Is yours on a full BM? What's ur pedi says?
Mine is premature, his birth weight is 2.5kg but now he's crossing 7kg.
Mine is rather skanky & long ( almost 70cm now)
Nevertheless, he was declared 'average' (as per the health booklet chart) on his last check. But true enuf if you compare with others ours is on the biggie side...

But dun let urself worry so much, with BM, it's rarely go wrong, some more if you n ur hubby are tall, then it's a genetic too

A@Doremon

hi! :tlaugh:

i m new here. still bf my 14 mths boy. planning to stop bf soon But my supply still maintain.

Should i?

mumwgals

I'm 'weaning' my younger dd from BM, she is 56mth old by Dec, going 5yo next year. Hope to stop bf totally by end of this year. :001_302:

Last edited:

elaine01

have to change my vote liao...................

DS just past the 2 year mark & I'm still BREASTFEEDING!:Dancing_wub:
Partial though cos he's on semi-solids.

eunjon

hi.. i;m still bf my bb (5mth) n on partial fm..
as he dun like freeze bm which I will storage on the fridge even ought nt freezin 1 he also dun wan..
he will juz go on cryin & cryin..

as i'm currently working....

elaine01

DS just started playgroup. And he started to catch virus from oter kids since they're all enclosed in an air-con room, easier for virus to spread.

DS was telling me, 'mummy, cut apple'. Then I told him 'you coughing cannot eat apple'. MIL heard what I said & said that 'fruit of the night' is not apple but guava. I told her not to show him or give him any fruit until he's recovered. Then she keep saying nevermind, a bit nevermind one la.....DH chip in & tol dhis mum that partly also due to him give DS papaya that why worsen over 2 days.

then..........mother & son chat lor. MIL ask DH, she thought breastfed babies not so prone to be sick, why DS breastfeed so long also sick so easily. if that's the case, might as well dont breastfeed him back then. she say i refuse to listen to her, after 6 months BM no more value, she want me to stop but i so stubborn refuse to listen to her.........she say if that's the case, if 2nd one comes, she insist that i dont breastfeed & give FM. Appreciate that DH tried to convince her but failed.she say her 5 other grandchildren all on FM also so big sized & healthy, then she stormed off very angry that her son side me:embarrassed:...........

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
oh dear Elaine...

first of all, congrats on hitting the 2 year mark! You've done good!

second... about your son getting sick... he is in an environment where viruses abound... its normal for children just starting a school type program to get sick. FM and BM babies both get it! Rest assured though that he will get better faster as compared to FM babies.

as for giving fruits while being sick, we do it all the time in my house with no noticable effects (bad or good). I figure the vits/minerals that they get from the fruits really can't do much harm. But that's my family.

For your family, talk to your husband and decide on your family's rules. Then stick with them. If you can't come to a decision, maybe try both ways once and see what happens. :p

Appreciate your husband in some way for standing up for you. It can take quite alot out of a guy to back his wife over his mother. You've got a good partner, don't take him forgranted and work with him to bring up your kids.

good luck

clarii

I breastfed my 1st dd for 8mth (fully expressed) and currently still bfg my 2nd dd. Shes turning 13wks soon

elaine01

oh dear Elaine...

first of all, congrats on hitting the 2 year mark! You've done good!

second... about your son getting sick... he is in an environment where viruses abound... its normal for children just starting a school type program to get sick. FM and BM babies both get it! Rest assured though that he will get better faster as compared to FM babies.

as for giving fruits while being sick, we do it all the time in my house with no noticable effects (bad or good). I figure the vits/minerals that they get from the fruits really can't do much harm. But that's my family.

For your family, talk to your husband and decide on your family's rules. Then stick with them. If you can't come to a decision, maybe try both ways once and see what happens. :p

Appreciate your husband in some way for standing up for you. It can take quite alot out of a guy to back his wife over his mother. You've got a good partner, don't take him forgranted and work with him to bring up your kids.

good luck
of course I dont expect him to scold his mum or anything like that.
i just hope that he can explain things nicely to his mum that although breastfed babies have higher immunity but that doesnt mean they wont fall sick? everytime DS falls sick, they'll blame my milk, saying since drink BM also fall sick, what's the difference if I gave FM back then?

sometimes i could tell that once my MIL started to raise her voice at DH, he'll agree to everything MIL said, even if it's wrong. I just shut up or be the 'bad' guy and repeat things to her, though she may not be happy after what i've said to her.

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
Elaine,

I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through this. :( *HuGS*

just sharing, i have some friends who will just smile and say... "ërhh.. maybe if i don't breastfeed, my son/daughter will be more sick in childcare".

i guess it's common for a child to fall sick when they start cc, although there are somë special cases where the child doesnt really fall sick. perhaps just explain kindly that this is common and sometimes it takes abt half year to a year for things to stabilise. or even better get your doc to tell your mil so. Hopefully that will stop her from passing remarks and make you unhappy.

hope it helps. :)

elaine01

Elaine,

I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through this. :( *HuGS*

just sharing, i have some friends who will just smile and say... "ërhh.. maybe if i don't breastfeed, my son/daughter will be more sick in childcare".

i guess it's common for a child to fall sick when they start cc, although there are somë special cases where the child doesnt really fall sick. perhaps just explain kindly that this is common and sometimes it takes abt half year to a year for things to stabilise. or even better get your doc to tell your mil so. Hopefully that will stop her from passing remarks and make you unhappy.

hope it helps. :)
i tried many ways to convince her that BM is ultimately the best & has been very patient. I feel that I'm like a mouse most of the time for the sake of DH.

I'm quite "immune" already. Whenever she asks me anything to do with breastfeeding, just repeat the same answers. If she starts "debating" with me, I just knod my head or smile at her. No point arguing with her. She's well-known for her stubborness.:tlaugh: