how much allowance do you take from tour husband?

Chewysee

hi mummies. would like to know how much u take from ur husband every month. and do u save it for urself? or use it to spend on ur children? or save the allowance for yourself and take money again if urban kid needs to buy something? stay at home mums or working mums, please advice

felicity

I'm working and our pay is around the same. I dun take allowance from hubby as he has more liabilities (pay for car installment n maintenance and household bills etc) and I give allowance to my own parents and pay my own bills. Helped him pay road tax etc as well. Baby stuff we just take turn to pay.. Also nv fuss who pay more or less.. Like that time taka bb fair we bought stroller etc spend close to 1k but I paid cos I hv taka card. Dining out also sometimes he pay sometimes I pay... I pay for all my own shopping and traveling.

I didnt tk too. But most meals he pay.. We share almost everything. My salary is lower than him but he hv more liability too. Kid education he pay. I pay some household bills. Groceries sometimes tk turns. Most of the time we go out dinner etc , the big ticket items all pay by him. I believe in gives and takes. Unless I married a super duper rich hubby who willing to pay everything n buy anything for me..

Alisa

i never take allowance from my husband too. Our salary is almost same but we have a joint a/c where we will put in the equal amount into it. we will use joint to pay for our son's things and household things. We will pay for our personal things ourselves. Meals are usually paid by my husband but i will pay for meals in restaurant cuz i insist on eating wan. Hee...

pixie

I have a full-time job so never expect my spouse to give me allowance. I feel more comfortable to spend money I earn than stretch out my hands to get from him. However, each time we are out, he will offer to pay for meals, buy baby's stuff and even to pay for things I bought. He pays rent and PUB bills which those alone already cost a lot so from time to time, I will fork out my income to help pay for our child's visit to the doctor and pay for maid's salary and her expenses.

Every month, I try to save a little and the amount is not fixed since there are times that I will spend more for special occasions (e.g. birthdays, wedding etc).

Last edited:

Starsapphire

I feel tht in this modern era where female folks work full-time in well-paid jobs, there shld no longer be any expectations that the husbands must/should give allowance to their wives. Well, unless the wife is not working or is a stay home mum then the allowance issue maybe important. The amount should be discussed in a happy and transparent manner btween the couple; depending on one's financial ability and dependability...

mrinstinct

My wife earn more than I do... She holds the key to the vault.

She handles all expenses like bills, utilities, credit cards, car, etc...

I get my makan allowance from her as that's the only money I spend...

She dun splurge on branded goods and she saves for me.

Seems like I'm stupid to let a woman control $$$ and like a small little man asking for pocket money.

Not becos I earn lesser and has no say...

In fact I have less worry and bother free about $$$ cos I dun need to think and worried if we have enuf to clear...

Well she has been handling it well and our next big plan is moving house in early next year.

Cherers

tj nora yenti

I'm full time mum, i have not wrk before. All the most hubby pay for milk, diaper, hp bill, internet,etc...
He only said to me, if you need $$ just transfer use ibanking to your saving account. He never said how much i want. So i just buy for baby stuff as for me i never buy it cos for baby more important than myself. I seldom go out.

cocosay

I'm a full time homemaker. Every payday, I'll transfer most of his salary into our joint account, leaving sufficient for him to pay tax and spend. He's very poor in handling finance, so we discussed and he agreed to let me handle every bills and savings. But he'll decide on the insurance coverage and more important stuff like buying car, furniture and renovations.
Depending on your monthly expenditure and the number of kids you have. You should draft out your monthly expenditure to determine how much is needed and how much can be save for traveling and kids' education. Not forgetting the retirement.
Do respect each other and be open minded during such discussion. What others having may not be the best for you and your hubby.