How much Birdnest to take????

HOKKI

Start taking bird nest from 4th month onwards, the reason is that before 4th month, baby will not be able to absorb and if we feed too much nutrients before 4th month, the nutrient will burden the placenta (胎盘), if the plancenta becomes too heavy, there is a risk of dropping down. I experienced this in my first pregnant. Luckily, my sinseh advised me to stop taking nutrient. My placenta was too low when i scanned. Baby will absorb from 4th month until end of 7th month, after that, if you keep drinking, the nutrient will go to monther only.

lynntoh

my TCM sinseh told me to take bird nest only at 3rd Trimester, but she didn't tell me why
my gynae also told me to that from week 28 onwards. she mentioned bird nest will not harm the baby, but may increase chances of the child getting asthma/allergies/eczema when he/she grows up. so i listened to her and stopped. used to take weekly from 4th month. also I cough more after taking brewed bird nest and my protein level is noticeable in urine. not sure if its cus of the bird nest or not. =X

Porukadotzu

lynn, to my surprise, I just know about this! my eldest daughter now 4yrs coming to 5 had eczema when she was couple of mths old and she did develop asthma around her 2-3 yrs.... and nowadays she still have the phlegms when she's overactive... oh my and I DID consume birdnest during my pregnancy, specially on my early stage...coz it kinda helps me when I hv headaches (belive it or not, it does helps me, I didn't take panadol or anything else only bird nest)...I took the bottles one from eu yan sang, and also drank the brewed bird nest...... my second dd, I didn't drink as much I dunno why maybe coz I very seldom hv headaches....and my 2nd dd was ok, no eczema or asthmatic... if only I knew bout this...haiz...

lynntoh

lynn, to my surprise, I just know about this! my eldest daughter now 4yrs coming to 5 had eczema when she was couple of mths old and she did develop asthma around her 2-3 yrs.... and nowadays she still have the phlegms when she's overactive... oh my and I DID consume birdnest during my pregnancy, specially on my early stage...coz it kinda helps me when I hv headaches (belive it or not, it does helps me, I didn't take panadol or anything else only bird nest)...I took the bottles one from eu yan sang, and also drank the brewed bird nest...... my second dd, I didn't drink as much I dunno why maybe coz I very seldom hv headaches....and my 2nd dd was ok, no eczema or asthmatic... if only I knew bout this...haiz...
Wow, so it's really true. Maybe try to nourish your elder one's lungs so she can be more strong? my daughter get cough easily especially after eating chicken rice, not sure why also =X But I only took bottled bird nest after week 28 also, she also had eczema during her first year of age.

Simplyberries2

I heard you should only start taking in third trimester and we are not sure whether the bird nest is pure or gone through bleaching during the cleaning process which can bring more harm than good.

ZPF

I heard from my sister-in-law. She was told by the gynae that bird nest will bring benefits to the mother but not the baby. Is that true?

lynntoh

I heard from my sister-in-law. She was told by the gynae that bird nest will bring benefits to the mother but not the baby. Is that true?
what i know is, some says eating birdnest during 2nd trim will benefit the baby, i.e baby's complexion very swee. if taken during 3rd trimester, the mother will benefit. but my gynae says if want then take during 3rd trim, to reduce the chances of the baby developing allergies/eczema.

NinaNeuron

My MIL is encouraging me to take birds' nest too! Not sure what the health benefits are for mum and baby though. Not that keen on drinking swallows' spit to start with (!!).

ajcy

So many different theories, I guess it's safe to say mid-second trimester till mid-third is "safe" to have bird's nest?

My mom on finding out about pregnancy went out and got those bottled ones but now only 10 weeks and our read shouldn't drink "cooling" stuff which bird's nest is ... so very confused.. mom also not sure she just knows is good and wants me to eat the best for her grandchild haha

NinaNeuron

My Chinese doctor mentioned that pregnancy is a time we need to top up yin energy. And That we pregnant women can be prone to overactive yang energy. Can't reconcile with the usual advice not to take cooling food items leh. Anyone got insight into this?

Small

Juz curious, which is better? Chicken essence or bird nest? & bird nest (rock sugar) ones seems to b popular in preggies..

Et3008

Another source of protein can be taken from protein powder especially amway all plant protein! Less hassle don't need to boil

zhumei

I just read this from a website:

[h=1]Remedial Benefits And Usage Of Bird's Nest[/h]Bird's Nest from a Clinical Experimental Point of View
According to a recent medical research reported by Hong Kong Chinese University, the cell division enzymeand hormone of bird's nest can promote reproduction and rebirth of human cells. The Glycoprotein content directly stimulates cell growth in human’s immune system. As a result, body metabolism is enhanced and functional effects are greatly improved. Effective results of bird's nest are observed when they are consumed by children, elders, feedle and sick people.

Bird's Nest from Traditional and Modern Chinese Medication's Point of View.

(Chinese Medication Dictionary) Bird's Nest is used as restorative and remedial food since the Ching dynasty as recorded in (Major Herbs Guidebook) and (Major Herbs Digest). Previous clinical researches have concluded that bird's nest has a (sweet and calm) character. Bird's nest contributed medical benefits to lung, stomach and kidney neural system. Several ancient medicine books such as (New Major Herbs), (Southern Mountain Chronicle) and (New Herbs Revised) all recorded plenty of detail of bird's nest remedial benefits.

Bird's Nest from a Nutrition Point of View
The main nutrition contents of bird's nest are carbohydrate (30%) and protein (5%) although its protein content can be compare to that of milk or eggs. Bird’s nest also contains plenty of calcium and phosphorus, as well as some iron and iodine. There are still some other untraced compositions that may have medical benefits; hence we can not judge its value by the main nutrition contents alone.

Bird's Nest from a Biochemical Point of View
The book (Evaluate Bird's Nest) written by a biochemist has also proven that protein contained in bird's nest have some bioactive elements which might have nourishing and replenishing effects on humans body.
The experts conclude that bird's nest has three main functions:

1. Enhances the rebirth of cells and tissues.
  2. Improves the immune system functions of our body
  3. Improves the body's tolerance toward the damage done by X-rays or other radioactive reagents.
Bird's nest is an excellent restorative food with a sweet and calm character; it is good for any age or gender
Ladies: Frequent consumption result in fairer skin, helps to stay young and look radiant.
Pregnant Women: Consumption during pregnancy will improve immune functions of the fetus and the mothers will be able to recover easily after giving birth.
Elders: Clears phlegm, strengthen lungs and kidneys, improves spleen as well as enhances appetite.
Children: Enhances immune ability, not inclined to get colds or flu
Men: Improves kidney and strengthens lungs, so not inclined to get weak

The consumption of bird's nest during pregnancy can increase nutrition and improve the overall health of the mother and child and will give the infant a flexible mind. Woman consuming bird's nest after giving birth can recover more quickly and slim rapidly to help maintain their beauty.
The stomach and spleen of newborns function weakly. This can easily cause diarrhea and the loss of appetite. Feeding the newborns with bird's nest that has been dissolved in milk can improve these deficiencies. Babies that are 6 month old can be fed with rice porridge or congee containing bird's nest.
Children require more nutrition during their growing period. Being fed with bird's nests can help strengthen the body and stimulate the growth of the brain. Edible bird's nest not only tastes good but when served with rock sugar, fresh milk or oatmeal aids digestion and constipation.
For youngsters, always consuming bird's nest can enhance metabolism, strengthen various body functions and reinforce immunity. Besides, it can also smooth the skin and maintain eternal beauty. People, who are highly stressed and are busy in study and work can alleviate tiredness, relieve spiritual pressure and recover body strength through always consuming bird's nest.
Bird's nests are also beneficial to people who have just recovered from illness, who are old and weak, who suffer from asthma and who are always catching the cold or influenza. A regular diet of bird's nest can help alleviate the trachea, smooth breathing, benefit the control of asthma, expel phlegm, recover vital energy and extend longevity. It is particularly effective to those who have sleep disorders, bronchitis, coughs or hangovers. Bird's nests also show obvious therapeutic effects to help moisturize and replenish the lung and clear away intestinal heat.

source: Natural Nest - Articles - Remedial Benefits And Usage Of Bird's Nest

lara clark

Should we take bird nest in the morning or at night or best results?
You should take birds nest in the morning when its empty for the best results! your stomach will be hungry for nutrients and it'll be able to absorb all the goodness of the birds nest.

you should also include birds nest as part of your diet. consume bit by bit throughout the week.

hope this helps!