How much it cost to change a surname ?

Queenbabe

Hi all ,

Would like to check with any remarry mummies , do u change ur ds or dd surname to ur current husband surname & how much does it cost ? I intend to change my dd surname to my current hubby surname and any lawyer firm that not charging so high to recommend ?

Thanks in advance ..

wenz

Dear, u can change ur kids name but surname cannot anyhow change.. if u need to change u have to undergo adoption.. tat's for my case...

u and ur hubby have to adopt ur kid and if the process is approved then the birth cert and surname can be changed.
but u'll need ur ex-husband to sign a letter to disown ur kid first, and also u need to undergo interviews from MCYS... they'll come to ur hse and see the living condition and also interview ur kid alone to see if your kid is being well-treated by the both of u...

the process takes about 9months - 12months but can be as fast as 6months... i paid $2000+++ for the adoption fee and lawyer... $800+++ for documentation...
The whole process will cost about $3k - $4k depends on situation...
=)

wenz

oh btw... just to let u know...
this is the only way tat allows u to change ur kid surname...
=)

yellowpudding

Hi all ,

Would like to check with any remarry mummies , do u change ur ds or dd surname to ur current husband surname & how much does it cost ? I intend to change my dd surname to my current hubby surname and any lawyer firm that not charging so high to recommend ?

Thanks in advance ..
Darling, if it's just changing the name, will be $80 to $120 for legal fee. But if you want the surname to be change, have to undergo adoption, meaning your hubby has to legally adopt your dd. However to allow this whole process to go smoothly - you will need consent from your ex husband like what wenz mentioned.

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Darling, if it's just changing the name, will be $80 to $120 for legal fee. But if you want the surname to be change, have to undergo adoption, meaning your hubby has to legally adopt your dd. However to allow this whole process to go smoothly - you will need consent from your ex husband like what wenz mentioned.
Just curious... if the ex-hb just passed away.. touch wood lah... then how to adopt n get consent?

yellowpudding

Just curious... if the ex-hb just passed away.. touch wood lah... then how to adopt n get consent?
good question - i think have to get the lawyer to write in, stating the reason, along with a copy of the death certificate to the court.

Queenbabe

Wah still must get approval from that Si Gui ? My own dd still need to undergo adoption, wah kao ...................

Thanks pudding dearie & wenz dearie .. very mafan ..

yellowpudding

Wah still must get approval from that Si Gui ? My own dd still need to undergo adoption, wah kao ...................

hugs darling, it's going to be mafan cause you need to see that fellow ah. hope will go through smoothly for you. hugs hugs.

wenz

Huh? Adopt your own child? Win liao lor... the red tapes n policies in SG...
yes u need to adopt ur own kid together with ur hubby so the new birth cert will have both u and ur current hubby's name as father and mother particulars...
if ur ex-hubby dun sign, u cannot adopt nor change the surname.

wenz

no prob babe... ya very mafan initially but after all is done i find it very good and glad tat i done tat...
now my son shared the same surname and daddy as his silblings so he dun feel left out at all... and my hubby has a part to play in my son's life also...

we feel complete as a whole family now..

yellowpudding

Yes pudding dearie mus see that fellow somemore is not cheap to do all these .. sian ..
darling, i understand. hugs... but i believe that after you go through all that trouble. it's worth it :) like what wenz said, at least she feels it's complete family. :) hugs. just bite the bullet and go through it. *sayang

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Sorry to ask again... on fren's behalf....

So after divorce... if the mother got the child custody... she can also change to her own surname? As in, single parent. What's the procedure? Adoption? No right? Since it's maternal mother... rather than step-father.

Rightfully, once mother has custody, ex-hb (father) future consent shld be irrelevant right?

wenz

Do u think tat SI GUI will consent mah ? Tat time how u persuade ur ex ?
i did not persuade him at all... anyway i chased him away when my son is 3months old and since then he never see my son anymore... so after so many years i guess he also wan his own life so when i text him i wanna go thru this and need him to sign.. he say ok den i met him and get him to sign and left... but after so many yrs, we had matured and are able to think... and he knows i will give and always wants the best for my son so he is ok with my decision...

wenz

Sorry to ask again... on fren's behalf....

So after divorce... if the mother got the child custody... she can also change to her own surname? As in, single parent. What's the procedure? Adoption? No right? Since it's maternal mother... rather than step-father.

Rightfully, once mother has custody, ex-hb (father) future consent shld be irrelevant right?
after divorce if mum got the child custody also cannot change the surname...
i got my son's full custody but still my ex need to sign to disown the child before we can adopt him and same will applies to single parent...
the only way to change the surname will be adoption... even if we are the maternal mother we will still need to undergo this to get the full control of the kids and the father will be removed from the birth cert...

but i will suggest that single mother dun do this yet... if she's young, higher chance she'll find someone better and willing to take care of them.. and they can do the adoption together later...

if not the kids will be like adopted for 2 times and dunno if the 2nd time will be approved anot...

Daddy D

Alpha Male
after divorce if mum got the child custody also cannot change the surname...
i got my son's full custody but still my ex need to sign to disown the child before we can adopt him and same will applies to single parent...
the only way to change the surname will be adoption... even if we are the maternal mother we will still need to undergo this to get the full control of the kids and the father will be removed from the birth cert...

but i will suggest that single mother dun do this yet... if she's young, higher chance she'll find someone better and willing to take care of them.. and they can do the adoption together later...

if not the kids will be like adopted for 2 times and dunno if the 2nd time will be approved anot...
OIC... noted.

wenz

OIC... noted.
oh by the way after adoption the actual father will have no responsibilities for the kid anymore... meaning no more maintenace fees etc he needs to bear cos its not his son anymore...

so if ur fren is single now and getting money from tat man... den better dun go thru this yet till she decided to settle down again...
just my opinion... =)