How much milk to give to new born?

summerp

Hi mummies,

Currently my baby (1 week old) is on breast milk and supplement with formula milk because my milk suppy is still low.. I only managed to pump 40ml and supplement with another 40ml of formula. Enough?

apollo

Re: How much milk to give t new born?

Hi mummies,

Currently my baby (1 week old) is on breast milk and supplement with formula milk because my milk suppy is still low.. I only managed to pump 40ml and supplement with another 40ml of formula. Enough?
1 week old drinking total of 80ml each time??! i think it is quite alot BUT every babies is diffe, ds once latch on for more than 30mins but still drank 120ml immediately aft tt.. but i rmb when ds was ard 1 week old, he drank ard 60ml? den 2nd-3rd week onwards increase super fast...

as long as ur baby didnt ask for more milk aft drinking what u give, means enough. but if he/she cant finish, pls dont force =)

chiro

y do u supplement wif formula lei?how u know not enuff? Did anyone tell u tat?jus keepstimulatin milksupply..

Ur body will adjustits supply accordinb to demand... Supplementin wif fm will cause ur supply to decrease...as less milk were processed cos ur bb oredi had fm

If bb still hungry, feed more frequently n longer.try not tosupplement wif fm..

Bb going thru growth spurt around this time... Ur milk sure enuff...wat matters is u frequent feed ur bb to boost supply..my son like every hour drinkmilk..so i latch him on

Last edited:

diymummy

You can use the following formula to calculate the milk ml range for your baby based on his weight. This formula is given to me by my pd and can be used while baby is on full milk feed.

lower limit: (150ml x weight)/# of feeds a day = ml per feed
upper limit: (200ml x weight)/# of feeds a day = ml per feed

so if you're feeding between the lower limit to upper limit you're fine. Feeding below the lower limit means you're underfeeding and feeding above the upper limit means you are overfeeding.

HTH.

Stan

why do you supplement with formula lei?how you know not enuff? Did anyone tell you that?just keepstimulatin milksupply..

your body will adjustits supply accordinb to demand... Supplementin with fm will cause your supply to decrease...as less milk were processed cos your baby oredi had fm

If baby still hungry, feed more frequently n longer.try not tosupplement with fm..

baby going thru growth spurt around this time... your milk sure enuff...what matters is you frequent feed your baby to boost supply..my son like every hour drinkmilk..so i latch him on
I also supplement... every hr drink milk? it means baby is permanently on the breast? cos by the time baby finish, it is time to start again!!
i am breast feeding till very exhausted so bo pian give FM.... is this correct?

Domique

Don't stress mummy...

Try to feed on demand if you are breastfeeding... the reason why Chiro as you not to supplement may be that she worry your supply will drop... because for BF, the more you feed, the higher the supply....

u have to know that the beginning it may be a little tougher but later when your supply buildup, it will be a breeze... hang on there... try not to give unless you feel its really necessary.... If really need to, give at night only but do pump out too when you give formula... so that = to tiring too... so best is to latch on....

Jia U!

I also supplement... every hr drink milk? it means baby is permanently on the breast? cos by the time baby finish, it is time to start again!!

candy_ian

breastfeeding is tiring in the initial stage cos bb always fall asleep latching on but introducing bottles too early may cause nipple confusion n bb may choose bottle over nipple n next time u will have problem latching on. for me bb 7 months i'm still doing total bfing.. The more u latch on the more the supply. Just hang in there. i love the convinience of bfding that i'm not willing to give it up. U can lay on the side to feed too so u can rest at the same time..

chiro

my son got big appetite so i juslatch him on...hourly latch on is jus in the beginning,,when milk supplystabilise dun need liao..probably my son suckles for comfort

If u supplement wif fm, u need to pump to drain the breasts..but no pump work as efficient as ur baby drinkin from u...so must well latch on lor..

Even when he suckle..he is stimulating milk production..

chiro

havin rest is veryimpt..

If u skip one session of bf n use fm.. U need to express ur milk breast to stabilise supply..

If after latchim him on, he still hungry n ur breasts r soft..(it will never be dried n emptied)...n u r tired ..feed him fm ..

How is his appetite like?very big ,always hungry or were u worried tat milk dun seem enuff tats y use fm to supplement?

Stan

Thanks all mummies for your encouragement.. yah some times she feed at 4pm.. suckles both sides for 30mins each...which mean end at 5pm... then she wanna feed at 6pm again...
i usually let her latch but there are times when i am sooo tired, i give FM......and i pump when i use FM... and when i see sooo little, i will worry not enough lor....
Bf is indeed tough but i refuse to give up... and greatly appreciate all the encouragement and tips here!!

diymummy

Hang in there Stan.. It'll really get better after the first month. :) Try your best to let her suckle. Your milk production will increase. Remember to drink lots and lots of water. Dehydration will affect your milk supply.. as well as your health.

Stan

Hang in there Stan.. It'll really get better after the first month. :) Try your best to let her suckle. Your milk production will increase. Remember to drink lots and lots of water. Dehydration will affect your milk supply.. as well as your health.
I am secretly drinking water...hee... cos the old folks banned me.. say can only drink red dates water....:err:

diymummy

Wahahaha! My mum also ban me to drink water. So I ban her from coming to my place. :p Then I will drink lots and lots of water. Coz I get ulcers very very easily.. So bo bian, really need to drink a lot of water. Good thing mil support me to drink lots of water... Also coz she breastfeed before. But I tried to avoid drinking cold water. Take care! :)

apollo

Wahahaha! My mum also ban me to drink water. So I ban her from coming to my place. :p Then I will drink lots and lots of water. Coz I get ulcers very very easily.. So bo bian, really need to drink a lot of water. Good thing mother in law support me to drink lots of water... Also coz she breastfeed before. But I tried to avoid drinking cold water. Take care! :)
u super cute lahh!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha!!!! ya i also drink lotsa plain water during confinement cos i drink red dates water drink until sore throat lehh!!

summerp

Thanks for advices. I am having a short nipple and a invented nipple the other side.. its really hard for me to latch one.

But i do pump out every 3 hours, just that the amount is not enough so i have to supplement with FM.. or should i pump more often to stimulate the milk supply?

diymummy

Hi summerp, supply works on demand. If you're not tired out, you should try to pump at regular intervals to stimulate more supply :)

That time I droped from latching my baby every 3 hrs to every 2 hrs for 1 week then my milk supply increased.

Stan

i am craving for icy cold water now.. the weather is killing me...
my water is a bit warm.. though i must confess i took a sip of my hubby's ice cold China apple drink and then cannot bear to swallow.... hahahhahaha .... so desperate hor?! :001_302:

chiro

dun worry.. I sipped one mouthfulof pepsi when my son was 5 days old.. Hehe..

I took shower when my son was 3 days old too n taking midnight showers too.. Hhaha

my water is a bit warm.. though i must confess i took a sip of my hubby's ice cold China apple drink and then cannot bear to swallow.... hahahhahaha .... so desperate ?! :001_302:

Stan

My princess is going through growth spurts at 3 weeks... she is demanding more milk!!
I latch her both sides for 1 hr plus and then she can still drink 60ml of FM....
wah... how is my BM going to catch up ah??