how much money do you give your parents monthly?

Amulet

my bring home pay is ard $1000.. i'm giving $350 for now.. but will be giving $650 to her after baby is born lo.. coz she will be looking after my girl for me.. if i get pay increment, i will give her more also..

my SO give my ILS $400, during festivals like CNY he will give more, on top of if their hse hold anything spoils, they automatically call my SO n he will pay for a brand new 1, i dun understand y we need to pay for it since my ILs had 4 sons, cant the other 3 contribute abit? since nw we had a kid liao, nt much for our own. Lucky we dun stay together, if nt i see them also faint.

For me, i giving $600 to my mum as she looking after my BB, if we go out, i will pay for her expenses too, b4 marriage is $400.

As for our own hse, i pay for gas,town council & food (occasionally)

Last edited:

Catty

I gave my parent $200 as my mum and dad is not working.

My in-law $100, cant afford to give much as we got lots of bills & instalment to pay furthermore we both don't earn that much, even though is my in law taking care of my gal, what we can afford is only a $100 to her as my fil got some part time job..

I actually give my parents 25% of my net income. really find it hard to survive with the rest of money. Is it a bit too much? I dont have any kids yet.

yennee76

i give my mum $400/mt + pay for my parents' hse expenses (think ard $300/mth). Bonus day for me = bonus day for my parents
Increment day for me = increment day for mum ^_^

Currently staying with IL... Dun know how much DH giving his parents. Need to hire a maid for his mum once rtn to work (to help MIL take care of my DD when I return to work)

Jan

I gave my mum $600 per mth as she is also taking care of my son and watch over my maid. My dad is still working, so I just paid for his mobile which can choke up to $100. My mum not asking much but I auto increase the amt plus when we have bonus, she will also have bonus lor.

My hubby is giving his mum $400 per mth and my MIL is also working.

lis77

u guys are so lucky.. to have understanding ILs guess m the only one got ripped off... so hope dd grow asap & bring to childcare by next yr.. :wong10:

Frenchkitty

I used to give my parents $500 before I am pregnant but now Hubby & I just bought house and a baby on the way, I cut back to $250/mth.

My in-laws more understanding. My MIL dont take any $$ from us and she will reject and say we have high expenses with Baby and house so whatever $$ we have we must save. Moreover, my MIL is a housewife who is not working (read: no income)

Sometimes I feel quite resentful towards my own parents because of this... my parents combined income more than $10k/mth but they always say not enough to spend... I also dont know how much then is considered enough. Why cant they be understanding like my in-laws.. Sigh.

Last edited:

Jodav

Seems like most ppl give quite a fair bit to parents. I'm giving $800 to my parents + a maid with them. About $1300 in total. Hmm.... Excludes other $ like year end, CNY, Birthday, Dinner etc. Although it's only right to give them more $ since they are going to take care of my baby soon, I'm just wondering... What is so-called enough? I gotta pay mum's medical bills too. About $1000 every 6 months. Hmmm... If I decided to quit my job, guess have to reduce this amount by at least 1/2.

Should be giving them more $ If I could... But on the other hand, Have monthly bills to settle...

swee

i used to give my mum 1k before baby.. now that got baby.. i give 800 to my mum only... dad not around ...

my husband never give his parent and they can easily support themselves... and his parents are taking care of my girl

nice_clever6

I pay my parents S$400-600 every month since i start working until now. I'm thinking to pay my mom more after I give birth since she is coming to stay with us again and help me taking care of our baby. I would say we are quite lucky with my parents and IL.

My mom will still accept allowance from me but she will buy grocery with my money while she stay with us. My mom hardly use my money for her personal expense. Just buy necessary stuff for my house. For that i have to occasionally buy things for her or bring her out.

for my IL, currently they don't accept our money. We just bought house last year and my IL loan us some $$$. They just accept repayment $$$. beside they said we have other commitment plus my hubby continue part-time study. So they don't want to accept our $$. my dad-IL still working but mom-IL is housewife. They are very understanding and always help us if we need.

It's comforting to see that so many of you are filial to your parents. Well, since they are around we must treasure them. Now that most of us are parents, we understand how tough it is for them to bring us up. I can no longer do filial piety as my parents are no longer around but are happy to see so many of you doing your part to your parents. Well, like most parent, my mum will also refuse my money when she can see that we are struggling with our committments, this is one of their ways of expressing their love to us. To me giving money to them is showing our gratefulness, therefore irregardless of the amount, I'm sure they appreciate our gesture. Having said so money is not all, giving money doesn't mean "buying" filial piety, by spending quality time with them is also important. I believe, when we grow old, we would like to see our own children around us spending sometime quality time together with grandchildren.

meiteoh

It's comforting to see that so many of you are filial to your parents. Well, since they are around we must treasure them. Now that most of us are parents, we understand how tough it is for them to bring us up. I can no longer do filial piety as my parents are no longer around but are happy to see so many of you doing your part to your parents. Well, like most parent, my mum will also refuse my money when she can see that we are struggling with our committments, this is one of their ways of expressing their love to us. To me giving money to them is showing our gratefulness, therefore irregardless of the amount, I'm sure they appreciate our gesture. Having said so money is not all, giving money doesn't mean "buying" filial piety, by spending quality time with them is also important. I believe, when we grow old, we would like to see our own children around us spending sometime quality time together with grandchildren.
This is something that I'm trying to understand - what is our concept of filial piety? If it is measured in money alone, then my hubby is one ungrateful son because being angmoh, he doesn't give his parents any money. BUT he spends more time with them - be it over the phone (can talk for at least two hours per call) or in person - than some of my Asian friends who give their parents tons of money and presents but you have to make an appointment to have dinner with them. :/

Anyway, on my end, before I was married, I used to give my parents nearly 50% of my salary - I was handling my own bills, the house mortgage and giving my mum money. The amount was about 1.5K at least.

After I got married, because I was a SAHM, I didn't have any money to give but whenever my parents came, we pay for their expenses (food, lodging, etc).

Now that I'm working again, I did offer to give my parents some money (around 200-400) but they rejected as they prefer that I save the money for my daughter and also, because my mum is still working full time and my dad has a comfortable pension.

Roxie84

Giving mum $650 a month now as she's helping to take care of my little girl. But Next year onwards wont be helping out already. Think my little devil is popping her mind out.

looking for child care centres. good ones. will be seeking that section later. researching on them now.

so anyway. next year onwards, think i'll just give my mum 200 a month.

foreveris

i give my parents $500 per month.. my hubby give my mil $1000 (as insisted by mil) as she takes care of my gal in the day.. they do not stay with us.. and on weekends when we dine out at restaurants, hubby is usually the one to pay for everyone (including sil + her boyfriend).. :)