How old is too old for kids to sit in stroller?

jasobias

Hi mummies,
have been noticing that lots of older kids..ages 5-8 r still riding in strollers.These r not special need kids..just ur average kids.I get really disgusted at the parents of these kids.Dont they want strong healthy kids?
One of my sons classmate(5 yrs old) comes to school in a stroller.Walk fr house to school is abt 10-15 min.Mums reason was tht "scared daughter get tired".
N all i cld think of was"wht the f@#$&^!!"

My boys stopped using strollers when they were abt 2.I wld bring them for long walks n now they r used to walking long distances without complaints.
I asked one mum once during kids swim class why she was using the stroller still..her kid is abt 6..she said"buy so ex..keep also no use so must as well use until cannot use anymore lah".

Seen many parents also yelling at their kids to get into the cramped stroller as they were running ard coz "better sit down or ur clothes get dirty!"..huh?!!

Mums wht r ur opinions?:eek:

Lynnie

Hahaha.. You seem really angry w those parents...
I feel that those mummies or daddies need to consider the safety of their kids as well. As all strollers come with a guideline of how much weight it can support, parents should take note of that instead of cramping their grown up child into a stroller.

apollo

i've seen this situation too!!!

the lil girl was lik ard 6-7year old? not only she sit in a pram, she was sucking onto her pacifier!!!

actu one of my nephew who is 3year+, reaching 4 year old soon is still sitting on his stroller when he goes to sch. my cousin can even 'haolian' to me saying that her son is like a lil boss!!!

my mum also told me in future never spoil ds lik that..

littlehelper

Hahah i cannot stand it.
The first thing i would think would be that the parents are spoiling the kids too much.
Especially if they are boys.What would happen if they go to the army? Sit in wheelchair?
Unless mummy really have problems eg. 4 kids out and mummy is alone.Mayb big one sit in the stroller to sleep? Or sometimes the big one just likes sitting in siblings stroller.
My bro used to climb into my baby cot too :D

autumn82

:err::err::err: Sometimes, when we are out the whole day and Belle feels tired, I'll let her sleep in the stroller while Iggy will be in the carrier. Other than that, she's never in the stroller anymore. :001_302::001_302::001_302:

Like that can?? :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:

meiteoh

My hubby's niece stopped using the stroller at the age of 2 and the family takes the kids out for very long walks during the weekends and such - at least two to three hours and mind you, we're not talking about shopping malls but hikes in the forest and such.

What my SIL does is that whenever the kids are tired, they'll stop to rest BUT they won't bring the stroller along or carry the kids. I believe this is a good practice as it encourages children to be less lazy or dependent on a stroller/parents.

As such, my SIL's kids are very active and sportive - they go hiking, climbing (this includes rock climbing), swimming, and so forth. Both kids are interested in sports and are active in sporting activities in school.

When my HB and I first arrived in Singapore, we got a shocker when we saw children older than 2 still sitting in strollers and having mum/dad push them around. What are they telling children about exercise and such? :/

jasobias

:err::err::err: Sometimes, when we are out the whole day and Belle feels tired, I'll let her sleep in the stroller while Iggy will be in the carrier. Other than that, she's never in the stroller anymore. :001_302::001_302::001_302:

Like that can?? :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:
hahah..like tht can lah..when i see a big kid in stroller i always look ard for the parents smaller baby tht shld be in there.If they r carrying it then big kid sits in it a while its ok lah..but if purposely bring stroller for big kid then not gd lah!!

jasobias

When my husband and I first arrived in Singapore, we got a shocker when we saw children older than 2 still sitting in strollers and having mum/dad push them around. What are they telling children about exercise and such? :/[/quote]
Hi meiteoh..
totally agree with u .Maybe its not a coincidence tht seemingly healthy kids n young adults have died during exercise.Coz in presence of frens they wld try harder than wht their body can tolerate.
My kids too r active in swimming n running.Great way to build up stamina n keep healthy.If parents themselves r so concerned abt their own exercise..then for god's sake..get the kids some exercise too!!
My kids have too noticed bigger kids in strollers n asked why..i usually reply thts its coz the child is sick..hmmm..dunno wht else to say lah..sometimes i say its coz kid is lazy n if they(my kids) ever get to tht stage then they better just stay at home...hahhaha:001_302:

veronica

Oh dear....my 4yrs old son still prefers his stroller than walking....:001_302:

But these days we train him to walk more since the stroller is now for his mei mei. So far, he is adapting well.

Will have a headache later if he wants to nap when we are out....

autumn82

hahah..like tht can ..when i see a big kid in stroller i always look around for the parents smaller baby tht shld be in there.If they are carrying it then big kid sits in it a while its ok ..but if purposely bring stroller for big kid then not good !!
*phew* :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:

autumn82

Oh dear....my 4yrs old son still prefers his stroller than walking....:001_302:

But these days we train him to walk more since the stroller is now for his mei mei. So far, he is adapting well.

Will have a headache later if he wants to nap when we are out....
U can carry meimei and let korkor sleep in the stroller. Rather than u carry the heavier korkor.. Wahahahah :p

meiteoh

Just yesterday, I was at Giant and I saw this couple pushing a shopping cart with their son in it. He was at least 10 years old!!!! Then when I went to another section, I saw a few more couples with children over 6 sitting IN the shopping cart and not even in the infant top of the cart.

Unbelievable. =.=

Ting

hmmm pin is 2.5 yo but still seats in the stroller at times.
but only when my parents go for long journeys then they will bring it out in case pin wanna nap.
for my parents, i understand their need to, as pin is quite a big girl (14kgs now!!)
for my parents age and stamina, to carry her for a long period of time, its very exhausting. even i also bth sometimes.
but i think my parents mostly bring stroller out is to dump their barangs in (esp if they go shopping) cos pin prefers roaming arnd.... :)

anyway back to topic, i think kids arnd 3 yo onwards shld stop seating in the stroller.
sometimes i see those older kids seat in the stroller, i feel so uncomfy for them. cos looks so squeesy! for me, i nvr bring the stroller out with pin ever since before she was 2.

Last edited:

diymummy

Hmmm.. my son is only 9.5mths... and i've seen a lot of old children (5-7yrs old) in strollers at shopping centres... i've always thought that children cannot tahan walking for so long and need to nap that's why they're in strollers. i hope my son wouldn't need one when he reaches 2. then i can use the same one for my 2nd baby. lol.