How to answer kids qn like: "Why your baby's eyes so funny?"

I've always been stumped by kids' questions about Vera.
"Why your baby's mouth so ugly?"
"Why your baby's head so big?"
I think it's a chance to educate them about disability - but what to say to these questions in a way that kids can learn and emphathise?

missblue18

actually i also dont know the best way to 'teach' kids about special children...i guess it takes time and effort from parents to explain to the child and why and how the special child is different...

for me when i was young, my mum had a friend whose child was born with serious abnormalities...my mum would bring me to her friend's place and ask me to give mei mei the comb and also tie her hair for her...i guess that was my mum's way...she didnt tell me much but from there i knew not to pass comments about special children tat i see outside...

its great to see vera growing so well...like i said before she is very blessed...good job from u and ur hubby!

ping26

I've always been stumped by kids' questions about Vera.
"Why your baby's mouth so ugly?"
"Why your baby's head so big?"
I think it's a chance to educate them about disability - but what to say to these questions in a way that kids can learn and emphathise?
Hi yummymummy,

I thought abt it on-off for a while but I couldn't think of something (useful) until I had the time to read your blog & understand Vera's condition.

I'm not sure if this is helpful...
(pls forgive me if you find the words are inappropriate or hurtful.)

Vera was born with some medical problems (or Trisomy 13), so she looks different from other babies and has learning difficulties. She has had some operations so that she can learn to drink and eat. (She had an operation here. This is the scar.)

Even though she can't talk, move very well (do something), she loves having friends and company. See, you can do this with Vera. She's smiling now. She loves this. She likes you.

Do you like xxx? well, Vera likes that too.

If Vera goes ng-ng-ng, it means she doesn't like this.
If she goes gah, it means she loves this!

Vera is very happy that you played with her because she likes little children and having many friends.
Auntie is happy cos Vera has made a new friend today!

Let's wave or shake hands and say bye-bye.

Vera loves hugging. Do you want to give a goodbye hug?

------------------------
I read yr blog. It was inspiring and touching. Vera is indeed very blessed. I feel so proud of her even though I don't know her :)

warmest wishes to all mummies!

rgd,
Ping26

Last edited:
hi ping26,

what a great help you've been! yes that's what I should be saying...i'm gonna go print it out! :Dancing_wub:

thanks for taking the time to do this...otherwise i'd still be stumped what to say to kids.