how to coax a toddler from crying non stop?

raeka

HI to all mummy,
I need advise . As i was sick for a few weeks and unable to look after my boy, so my mum help me look after.
The problem is she over pamper and he cry non stop whenever he cant his thing or he want sweet/biscuit.
He even cry when my mum went back or his Daddy went off to work. My problem is he cant stop crying and even louder and louder.
tried all way but cannot stop.
I doesnt wasnt to coax him with snack or water . any better way to stop him?
I got so piss off as now i look after my own and he is fussy when he want somethings and i rejected to give him there he start his crying by calling out grandma non stop ..

chiro

sigh..what took us months to finally discipline our children took days to be overruled!

Think ur child reached terror twos.. Throwing tantrums after his loyal supporter , ur mum is back at work.
its time to discipline them , maybe can have a naughty chair or corner for him to throw tantrums and they will stop after they realise that they have no audience

HI to all mummy,
I need advise . As i was sick for a few weeks and unable to look after my boy, so my mum help me look after.
The problem is she over pamper and he cry non stop whenever he cant his thing or he want sweet/biscuit.
He even cry when my mum went back or his Daddy went off to work. My problem is he cant stop crying and even louder and louder.
tried all way but cannot stop.
I doesnt wasnt to coax him with snack or water . any better way to stop him?
I got so piss off as now i look after my own and he is fussy when he want somethings and i rejected to give him there he start his crying by calling out grandma non stop ..

annie

yea hackcare him. tats wat i do if im sure my girl is simply being fussy or want to get her way. no means no n i get the final say no matter how long or how bad she cries. i let her cry n i go ahead n do my things. i didnt introduce any naughty corner or watsoever. sometimes she just stand there n scream, sometimes she follow me around n scream. sometimes she hold onto my leg n i just brush her off. i just keep repeating 'mummy dosent like naughty/crying babies'. sometimes i reason with her. she has just started to understand reasoning.

autumn82

sigh..what took us months to finally discipline our children took days to be overruled!

Think your child reached terror twos.. Throwing tantrums after his loyal supporter , your mum is back at work.
its time to discipline them , maybe can have a naughty chair or corner for him to throw tantrums and they will stop after they realise that they have no audience
Yes, agree with chiro.

For myself, I will speak to him firmly (warning twice) to tell him 'No means no" & keep quiet now. If he still continue cry/tantrums, he will be at his 'naughty tile' for 2mins (goes by his age). By 2 mins, if he's still crying, I will extend by another 2mins until he keeps quiet.

His naughty tile is just sitting on a tile where there's nothing around him, so he won't touch here and there and just sit still. If he moves away from the tile, I will grab him and put him back onto the tile. Until he gets the idea. Iggy got the idea within 3 tries. :)

Trial and error, repeat the same discipline time and again, they will get the idea! Good luck!

Last edited:

annie

autumn, ive heard alot on these naughty corner n so.. my frens made their kids stand at the naughty corner n cry till they happy n stop then let them walk off. i wonder how does it work n wat u mean by iggy get the idea within 3 tries? meaning he will stop crying soon when he is at that particular tile?

chiro

johanan also dun have naughty corner , he mellow down after no one bother about him haha! He is very ra ra baby-haha
autumn, ive heard alot on these naughty corner n so.. my friends made their kids stand at the naughty corner n cry till they happy n stop then let them walk off. i wonder how does it work n what you mean by iggy get the idea within 3 tries? meaning he will stop crying soon when he is at that particular tile?

autumn82

autumn, ive heard alot on these naughty corner n so.. my friends made their kids stand at the naughty corner n cry till they happy n stop then let them walk off. i wonder how does it work n what you mean by iggy get the idea within 3 tries? meaning he will stop crying soon when he is at that particular tile?
I don't just let Iggy walk off. After he has calmed down, I will talk to him and tell him that this behaviour is not nice and unacceptable and I do not wish to see such things anymore. He has to understand and apologise for the wrongdoing before he is allowed to leave.

It works for me coz the moment I warn him that what he's going to do is not nice, he will auto think and stop doing it. Coz continue doing it will land him at the naughty tile where he's all alone doing nothing.

Iggy tried to get up from the tile for 3 times before he fully understand the meaning of stay in the tile means STAY and kept quiet. Crying and screaming will land him on that tile even longer.

Of coz, he's not 100% good boy all the time but I can feel/see the difference after I implement this thingy. He understands certains things are not nice to do. Discplining kids takes a lot of repetition works. :)

Last edited:

annie

ooh.. thanks for explaining hehe. i haven implement tat yet but maybe i will need to do tat one day! so far i just let her cry till she happy.. hehe

xue

I also put my boy at a naughty corner whenever he misbehaves.. But whenever i do that, he will pee on his pants.. Did i scare him? Should i stop doing that?

sleepymama

Hi all,

Just wanna share my views on this issue...
It can be rather traumatising for kids who are put in 'naughty' (I prefer to call them 'quiet') corners... so, give time-out appropriately, eg. 1 min for one year of age, and must always cuddle and hug the child and reassure him/her of your love after he/she has calmed down and stopped wailing. It works too, if you praise your kid when he/she behaves well and appropriately, pointing out that you are very proud of his behaving well like a big gor gor or jie jie! Remind him/her that wailing and throwing tantrums only give everyone a bad headache as it makes too much noise that can't do anything useful. :D

The bottomline is, dont't crush the child's self-esteem and confidence. Bad behaviour doesn't mean he/she is a bad child. It's just something they need to learn to control and manage. The earlier the child understands this, the faster he/she can overcome the 'terrors'. I'm still working on this with my boy, but there is improvement everytime :)

And oh, never ever discipline your child when YOU yourself are feeling very angry. Control yourself first. Our kids need our patience and love more than anything. Jiayou!

Phoebii Cheng

Recently I also realise that my son sometimes is like that, he wants to get his way......

I hope to intro the naughty corner to him soon, but must get my MIL & hubby to co-operate

xue

Recently I also realise that my son sometimes is like that, he wants to get his way......

I hope to intro the naughty corner to him soon, but must get my mother in law & hubby to co-operate
ya..sometimes i put my son in the naughty corner, my parents or husband will come n sayang him.. -.-
so in the end i guess he did not learn ath?

snowbear

I will warn my dd sternly and if she doesn't heed the warning, I'll just ignore her. So far ignoring her tantrums has worked and she throws fewer tantrums/ tantrums are short-lived.

Mummy to Baby V

My 17-month old just started throwing tantrums recently if he does not get what he wants immediately. He'd whine in agitation and turn/walk quickly round and round. Most of the time, if he cries, it is for attention, which I'd try to give him asap.

For repeated misbehavior after warning, I'd put him in a corner. We avoid the word "naughty". If he cries there, I ask him to calm down, apologize, bring him to correct the action (e.g. clear up the mess), then praise and hug him.

For small good behavior through the day, we also give lots if praises and hugs to encourage him. Now, when he does something good, he'd even ask for a hug. :)

jassmine

Think your child reached terror twos.. Throwing tantrums after his loyal supporter , your mum is back at work.

Ahhz.. chiro!!! i have a naughty kaelyn, anyway to teach her? she cry n scream all the way until she get what she wants, sometimes i was so piss off n scold her but it doesn't help.. daddy have a cane for her to let me teach her but i couldn't do so.. can help me? how you teach johanan?

Last edited:

chiro

er, ideally, i will sure worship and pamper princesses and not have heart to discipline them yet, girls should be pampered and boys should be disciplined strictly hahas

johanan is the same.. Willl whine to get what he wants.. Rarely cried.. Only cry whenhefell downfrom the bed wif his head facing up n he was traumatised.. He also cry when he was hungrily angry

initially we purposely dun gif him what he wants to play e.g the detachable parts of orange juicer.. He will dei... Dei until we give in n to our surprise, he can remain seated for the next twenty minutes jus by exploring things tat we use daily like porcelain tea cup and handphone charger(he is learnin to plug in the charger to the phone).we will teach him the correctmethod of chargin handphone, keep him busy, and he will re do the sequence once he plug in or pull out the plug.n he picks up very fast too...

We let him play most of the things except the tv console where the hi fi set is...now tat i at my parents place, wwe purposely put the things tat he scared off infront of where we dun wan him to go near to

we used an automated rubbish bin wif a sensor tat will open its lid when we stand in front of it

he is also afraid of those handy fan hahaha

one area we discipline him in is he will hit his head , he took our 'no' for a 'yes', and when i try to stop him from hitting his head , he will bite me.he will use greater strength to hit his head if we try to stop him.now i just let him hit himself, and wait and see he experience pain, so i told him'hit some more, its your head, not mine,you feel pain right?' and he seldom hit his head liao
Ahhz.. chiro!!! i have a naughty kaelyn, anyway to teach her? she cry n scream all the way until she get what she wants, sometimes i was so piss off n scold her but it doesn't help.. daddy have a cane for her to let me teach her but i couldn't do so.. can help me? how you teach johanan?