How to cough out phelgm

Gumi

Hi Mummies
My son who is now 14 month's plus cold caught fever/flu/cough 2 weeks' ago. He has recovered from fever and flu, but still having slight cough...which sounds phelgmy.

So now my question is, how to make him cough out the phelgm? I've tried applying oil on his chest and also pat on his back and when he cough I can hear the phelgm like coming out, but I don't think he knows how to.

Mummies out there, at this stage, how to make him spit out the phelgm? And advice? Thanks.

diymummy

My friend taught me to cup your hands and do the patting. She advised me to do it not right after milk.

I usually do it just before he has his milk. After his milk, he will start coughing and while burping, the phlegm will come out.

This form of patting has worked well for my son.

Gumi

Hi diymummy

Can I ask, did his phelgm actually been cough out from his mouth, which means he don't swallow them after that.

This question may sounds abit stupid, but I just can't see him cough that out from his mouth and I suspect that he might have swallow them in again.

apollo

diymummy is right. use the patting method.

actu they not necessary will pas out the phelgm via vomiting out. they might pass out thru poopoo.

diymummy

Mine will either swallow or cough out. Usually he coughs out after I pat, feed him mlk and he tries to burp...

But some milk will come out as well. LOL. The patting is to loosen the phlegm in the lungs.

apollo mummy taught me deee.. Kekekekeke..

xue

can the patting be done on 3mth+ baby?? my baby has been having phelgm for weeks already!!

candy_ian

Yes it can b used on smaller babies.. It's call percussion n that's what physiotherapists do to loosen phelgm for patients too..

apollo

can the patting be done on 3mth+ baby?? my baby has been having phelgm for weeks already!!
yes of cos can! if u're not sure hw to, PM me. i send u the video which i videod down when i patted ds =)

Reactions: xue

SH74

my boy's PD gave us 1 cough med which will cause my boy to vomit out all the phelgm aft taking d med aft milk. v messy though. cos phelgm will come out with milk n med. but faster recovery.

Gumi

Hi SH74

Can I know the name of that cough med that you mentioned?
Perhaps will check it out with the PD whether it suits my boy or not. Thanks.

xue

yes of cos can! if you're not sure hw to, PM me. i send you the video which i videod down when i patted dear son =)
Apollo, i follow the method your video showed.. And just now after my baby finish her milk, within a few seconds, she vomited alot of milk.. But i did the patting many hrs ago... Is it due to she vomit the phelgm out?? or could it be other things?
And if baby vomit milk out, will she be hungry?

apollo

Apollo, i follow the method your video showed.. And just now after my baby finish her milk, within a few seconds, she vomited alot of milk.. But i did the patting many hours ago... Is it due to she vomit the phelgm out?? or could it be other things?
And if baby vomit milk out, will she be hungry?
ds also will vomit but not 'merlion' type unless he was coughin badly. usually he will vomit a 'lump' of phelgm-like thingy so we will assume it is phelgm. haha.

i believe tt if ur baby is hungry, she will cry for milk. if she did not cry for milk, means is okay =)

Reactions: xue

SH74

Hi SH74

Can I know the name of that cough med that you mentioned?
Perhaps will check it out with the pediatrician whether it suits my boy or not. Thanks.
gumi,

my boy finished d med alr. n i threw it away. u may wan to check w ur PD for the med dat'll make them vomit out d phelgm. it's actu a side effect which some kids may have aft eating.

JazN

does any of your baby makes a throaty sound likes "trying to breath up the phlegm from the throat"?

Wonder if this should be a concern thou my girl is still on her cough medication

cel.lea

yes of cos can! if u're not sure hw to, PM me. i send u the video which i videod down when i patted ds =)
hi apollo

can u email me the video too? my 7mth bb has been coughing & it's phelgmy. he's been down with phelgm for almost 2mths!!!!