How to decrease/stop breastmilk supply?

XenXuan

Hi all, my baby girl's currently 5weeks old,eventually we decided for me to stop BF her as she kept refuse to latch on.. we have been giving her FM n EBM since born as i was having too much pain when she suckle on my nipples.. i had no choice but to keep expressing out,this wasnt a problem during my confinement period.. but now im alone at hm taking care of my 2yr old son n baby girl,i cant have the time to bottle feed her,handle my toddler n have my breasts leaking/engorgement/pain..

is there any way to stop the breastmilk supply? i asked my baby girl's doctor,she told me there isn't such medicine.. asked another family doctor,he said there r such medicine but will mess with our hormones levels.. ended up both doctors din gave me any medicine to stop my breastmilk,nor help me in any way to solve my problem.. im so stress right now,i think i have abit of postnatal depression too,im smoking back again.. i dun1 2 resume breastfeeding,baby refuse to latch on,family aint supporting too.. im currently only expressing out whenever i feel the engorgement pain.. is there any ways to stop the milk eventually or any doctors that will give the medicine to stop it? help needed badly thanks..

You have to stop expressing your milk gradually, otherwise you will be in pain suffering from engorgement and leakage. I stopped expressing within 3 days and suffered serious engorgement and was very painful whenever I carried my baby.

I think you should do it gradually over 2 weeks, e.g. increase the interval of expressing gradually, reduce the number of pumps gradually. The body will take the signal no need to express so much milk and will gradually stop producing milk.

Remember, don't stop immediately, it will be a very painful process.

XenXuan

I already stopped trying to latch on since last week.. decreased my pumping duration n times of expressing,stopped my fenugreek/vitamins supplements n lactating milk formula since then too.. milk supply actually decreased 1/2 already,maybe cuz of the supplements i was taking.. but its not decreasing anymore for the past few days.. i oso wear my bra with breast pads at hm due to heavy leakage(v messy) since given birth,n oso to avoid the pain sensation when i carry baby n came in contact with my nipples..

I've oso read if engorement dun clear can cause quite some problems too,now i have a hard lumpy spot on my left breast which doesnt goes off totally no matter hw i express nor massage..it will become smaller but eventually hard up again by 4hrs time..i think tats milk inside rite?but cant seems to express it out..my whole body will ache in pain when i have engorgement,even if it only means I'm late for pump by 1hr since starting of BF-ing..

I juz dunno hw long it will take to stop by itself,wish it can end faster.. i din have such problem for my 1st baby as my milk supply juz suddenly decreased n stopped after 2mths of TBF..

XenXuan

Omg dun scare me.. My milk supply decreased these few days but still having engorgement hard lumps which I can't massage out nor express out.. Now got another problem,I bought quite a few bottles of fenugreek n obimin multi vitamins before delivery as I tot I will be breastfeeding for a long time.. Wonder if I can still take the multi vitamins obimin thats meant for pregnant n lactating women after my milk completely stopped.. As my body is still quite weak till now.. Fenugreek I'm planning to pass to my friend who's pregnant..

babybull

Hi all, my baby girl's currently 5weeks old,eventually we decided for me to stop BF her as she kept refuse to latch on.. we have been giving her FM n EBM since born as i was having too much pain when she suckle on my nipples.. i had no choice but to keep expressing out,this wasnt a problem during my confinement period.. but now im alone at hm taking care of my 2yr old son n baby girl,i cant have the time to bottle feed her,handle my toddler n have my breasts leaking/engorgement/pain..

is there any way to stop the breastmilk supply? i asked my baby girl's doctor,she told me there isn't such medicine.. asked another family doctor,he said there r such medicine but will mess with our hormones levels.. ended up both doctors din gave me any medicine to stop my breastmilk,nor help me in any way to solve my problem.. im so stress right now,i think i have abit of postnatal depression too,im smoking back again.. i dun1 2 resume breastfeeding,baby refuse to latch on,family aint supporting too.. im currently only expressing out whenever i feel the engorgement pain.. is there any ways to stop the milk eventually or any doctors that will give the medicine to stop it? help needed badly thanks..
Hi, you can go back to you gynae for the medicine to stop the milk. Or visit the 24hr Women's Clinic at KKH. They will give you the med. Its 2 small pills, just take and the milk production will stop.

Been through what you are going through too - that's what I did for my first girl, because I couldn't handle the pain from her latch and its too tiring to take care of her, bottle-feed, and breasts engorged and swollen so got to massage before pumping and all the time baby crying beside you....

I tried to ask my girl's pd for the medication to stop breastmilk, and he told me that it can only be dispensed by your gynae. THen cos my gynae was overseas at that time, I just went to the 24hr Women's Clinic at KK lor. THe doc there will give it to you after confirming that you do not wish to continue breastfeeding.

But then the head nurse there got her lactation consultant to call me and persuade me to continue breastfeeding or pumping for my girl... so in the end I felt guilty and pumped for 3 more months. I'm still hanging on to the 2 little pills for this next one just in case I can't cope with a toddler and newborn and breastpain!

babybull

Omg dun scare me.. My milk supply decreased these few days but still having engorgement hard lumps which I can't massage out nor express out.. Now got another problem,I bought quite a few bottles of fenugreek n obimin multi vitamins before delivery as I tot I will be breastfeeding for a long time.. Wonder if I can still take the multi vitamins obimin thats meant for pregnant n lactating women after my milk completely stopped.. As my body is still quite weak till now.. Fenugreek I'm planning to pass to my friend who's pregnant..
You can continue taking the obimin, no problem. I did too, for about 5-6 mths even after stopping breastfeeding because its just a multivitamin with higher folic acid and iron levels. But have to be careful to drink more water cos too much iron can make you constipated. =)

XenXuan

thanks babybull for the replies.. past week my milk supply decreased even more again n i no longer feel the need to express out.. but there is still milk leakage every now n then.. its not as heavy leakage as before but still irritating.. i shall see for a few days more before deciding to go get the pills anot.. i guess i shall carry on taking my obimin then.. ^^

mumsmall

i dont think you have to do that since your baby is just 5 week..
its best for baby to have exclusive BF for atleast first 6 mos..
just pump out your milk if you feeling pain in lact her.
breast milk is the best for baby nutrition and immune.

XenXuan

Having bad engorgement leakage n pain while bottle feeding baby n a 2yr old hyperactive toddler disturbing always isn't easy at all to manage alone.I dun have the time at all to express nor rest.I was suffering from depression already.

Anyway,I had ceased my latching,my expressing,milk no longer engorge nor need to pump.only at times will still have some little leakage.can say the milk had totally stopped. I've tried my best,when it's the right time to give up,for the better of everyone n everything in family,insisting will only be stubborn behavior.Stop BF doesn't makes u lesser mom,theres more than juz BF in a mom's job.