How to make pasta tastier for baby?

nancy

I have been using Bellamy's Spelt Pasta Star recently to feed my 8 month old baby as breakfast but she doesn't like it. It is bland and sticky and dry and hence I tried adding carrot and then strain both pasta and carrot together and still she doesn't like it. Her face will cringe up and she will only take a few mouthfuls and refused to eat after that.

Anyone can teach me how to make the pasta more palatable? After boiling it till soft, should I just serve it without straining it? Is there any pasta sauce that is suitable for 8 mth old baby? what other recipe can I use to complement the pasta?

camom

Make your own pasta sauce. I do it with grated carrot, finely chopped celery, tomato paste, finely chopped onion, finely minced meat and finely chopped and deseeded tomatoes. Cook it per normal except no seasoning added.

Otherwise, why not cook it in soup like chicken macroni soup?

You'll need to strain the pasta. I don't like to use the water that is used to boil pasta. It has this floury taste that I don't like.

nancy

Make your own pasta sauce. I do it with grated carrot, finely chopped celery, tomato paste, finely chopped onion, finely minced meat and finely chopped and deseeded tomatoes. Cook it per normal except no seasoning added.

Otherwise, why not cook it in soup like chicken macroni soup?

You'll need to strain the pasta. I dont't like to use the water that is used to boil pasta. It has this floury taste that I dont't like.
thanks. It is actually my maid who is doing the cooking cos I dun know how to cook.. sigh.. How to make chicken macaroni soup? I also bought the Macoroni from Bellamy for my baby too.

Thought tomato is citrus and hence should not be recommended for baby at the moment?

camom

thanks. It is actually my maid who is doing the cooking cos I dont know how to cook.. sigh.. How to make chicken macaroni soup? I also bought the Macoroni from Bellamy for my baby too.

Thought tomato is citrus and hence should not be recommended for baby at the moment?
From 9 mths old onwards, should be ok to intro. If not, do a cheese sauce. I've also tried adding pumpkin puree to the pasta for my son.

For macaroni soup, I usually use either homemade pork bone, chicken bone or root vegetable stock. Then add loosened minced meat & finely chopped broccoli/frozen peas/sweetcorn, grated carrot to the soup to cook. My lazy method of loosening the minced meat is to add some cool water to it and stir till it is loose before adding to the pot of stock.

Meanwhile, boil the macaroni in a separate pot till cooked & drain. Add the drained macaroni to the soup pot and serve.

Last edited:

Phoebii Cheng

Hi you might want to try to make macaroni soup for your bb? with chicken stock, you can add in some minced chicken, carrots, brocolli (all can be pureed)

For pasta, mayb ur bb not used to the tomato paste taste yet....u might want to wait a bit older?

I gave my son, pasta when he is 1yrs old.....dun know abt other mummies though...

revolver80

Alpha Male
Can try beef stew. Just boil carrot, potato and celery and simmer for 20min. Then add pasta (i use the ABC type) and beef. Continue to simmer till pasta is soft. Blend and serve.

Or make cheese sauce. Just tried yesterday. Melt 30g of butter under low heat in a saucepan, then stir in 2 tablespoons of flour (bit by bit). Then slowly add 300ml of milk bit by bit. (i must emphasize this because I add to much and it became clumpy). Must ensure the milk is absorbed into the clumps as you stir quickly, trying to break the clumps. Finally when you have stirred in all the milk, continue to stir slowly and let it simmer till it become a bit thick. Take the pan off the heat and slowly stir in 500g of grated Parmesan cheese. Use what you need and freeze the rest for future use. It can keep in the freezer of 2-3 weeks. When using, if you find it too thick, just add some water.

Sometime i use my frozen chicken/pork stock and just add some meat of vege.

candy_ian

I use carrots, minced beef, onion and tomatoes for the sauce. Once it's done I blend it n mix the cook pasta in..

meiteoh

Like the others have mentioned, you can do a soup-based pasta dish by using veg/chicken/beef stock OR you can do a puree-based sauce by using vegetable purees. I usually add some grated cheese (cheddar at the moment) to my veg puree sauce to make it yummy but not a lot since cheese is salty. Eva loves her pasta rice stars with potato/carrot or pumpkin/broccoli sauce topped off with some cheese! :)

rooshidavid

Alpha Male
Well it is a good idea to give more taste food food concerning with good health. I would suggest you to add more amount of tomatoes and also serve wafer crunches in it. Add some milk and ghee or butter. This would make tasty as well as health.

AugBoyz

I did not use any stocks in my monster's meal, all are natural. Throw in carrot, tomato, ikan bilis, wolfberries, corn etc (mix n match urself), throw in noodles or macaroni, taste yummy.

Food only taste yucky coz we, the adults thing so coz we are so used to eating flavoured food. For babies, they are still new to food so even if the food taste bland to us, they will still eat it.

dur30cat

Sometimes it could be due to the texture -- some babies love crunch and bite while others prefer soft chew. So you might want to consider the pasta cooking time as well.