How to potty train siblings who are only a year apart?

tika

Anyone with children just 1 year apart? At what age did u potty train the older child?

My dd1 is 2 yrs old and second one is 8 months. I've been trying to potty train dd1 for a week now but it's been pretty nitemarish. When accidents happen, dd2 is either crying for attention or crawling towards the pee on the floor. If I can't clean it up as fast as lightning, dd2 would crawl all over the pee.

HEADACHE.

Any ideas how I shd work ard this.

tika

She tells me when she's pissing in her diaper. But like any typical child who's easily distracted, she forgets to inform me and accidents happen. Even her teachers are telling me to start potty training her. And her pd gave me the go ahead as well.

Thank you for replying for I'm sure your intentions were to be helpful even though you were not. But it's ok, I accept your apology. :)

thepinkdot

She tells me when she's pissing in her diaper. But like any typical child who's easily distracted, she forgets to inform me and accidents happen. Even her teachers are telling me to start potty training her. And her pediatrician gave me the go ahead as well.

Thank you for replying for I'm sure your intentions were to be helpful even though you were not. But it's ok, I accept your apology. :)
not apologising.. =P

sure she can tell u while she's doing it.. but can she hold it?

i'm not too sure abt ur approach (perhaps u could describe?).. if u could try with pull up pants, you won't stress urself out too much..? or showing her to the potty every hr or so to remind her that there's the place to do it..

the other suggestion i could think of is to separate ur dd2 when the accident has happened. bring ur dd2 to her playpen, cot, or high chair.. then clean it up?

gd luck with potty training.. i just think tods who can hold it in and communicate their need are much more ready mentally to do potty training.. its for the well being of both the tod and trainer.

tika

Oh? Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I saw a "sorrie" at the start of your sentence. Thank you for elaborating on your FULL STOP for now I understand better why you think the way you do. We live in a studio apartment so really there's no space for a cot/playpen to put dd2 in but I do have a buckled seat I can strap her into while I clean up. Thank you for that tip.

As for pull ups, that is another strategy I've tried but she got too comfy with it and didn't want to take it off at all (even when it's terribly squishy). Which was why I thought maybe going butt naked would be better for her (but I realise it's not for me!)

I made a reward chart and she is thrilled to collect her glittery stars but there are still times when she gets too engrossed with activities and forgets again.

When did you know your dotter could hold her pee and u can start training her?

thepinkdot

Oh? Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I saw a "sorrie" at the start of your sentence. Thank you for elaborating on your FULL STOP for now I understand better why you think the way you do. We live in a studio apartment so really there's no space for a cot/playpen to put dd2 in but I do have a buckled seat I can strap her into while I clean up. Thank you for that tip.

As for pull ups, that is another strategy I've tried but she got too comfy with it and didn't want to take it off at all (even when it's terribly squishy). Which was why I thought maybe going butt naked would be better for her (but I realise it's not for me!)

I made a reward chart and she is thrilled to collect her glittery stars but there are still times when she gets too engrossed with activities and forgets again.

When did you know your dotter could hold her pee and you can start training her?
i was ambitious.. i tried at 2.. coz the CC teachers recommended i do so since she was in N1.. it was disastrous with panties.. not nice to have wood flooring and pee coz the pee would seep in if you got cracks..

so i became less ambitious and tried with poo first.. she could easily indicate when she wants to poo.. and some kids have a thing about poo-ing in diapers! good thing mine doesn't care for it and prefers the potty.

at 2.5, i tried again.. if she remembers to tell, she would.. if she's not, she would just do it on the spot.. esp when engrossed in her activities.. not funny to have pee soaked comfort soft toy..

i decided to NOT stress her and us parents.. we decided she shld come to a point that she knows she has to do it in the toilet bowl.. at nearing age 3.. she was completely off diapers.

some mummies prefer to let them show us when its time for potty training.. rather than we show them how to be toilet train.. i def. agree that if ur child goes to CC, the teachers there would pressure u more on potty training.. if u're a SAHM, do allow ur kid to progress naturally.. they will surprise u at how quick they pick it up.

loads of reminders that they need to use the potty instead of just letting it go.. if they're engrossed, check every hr or half an hr.. till they can come and let u know..

rewards of course is a good way.. but only if they understand that what they've done is right.. some tods still blur blur ya? think its just playtime.

don't stress her or urself.. most imptly.. accidents will always happen.. till they can outgrow bed wetting..

jasobias

hey tika dont stress urself..leave it alone for a couple of months then try again.They will all eventually learn how to go to the toilet..i was really lax with my boys..already so difficult looking after the kids..didnt want to get a heart attack toilet training !!hehehhe
just let it be for a while

tika

hey tika dont stress yourself..leave it alone for a couple of months then try again.They will all eventually learn how to go to the toilet..i was really lax with my boys..already so difficult looking after the kids..didnt want to get a heart attack toilet training !!hehehhe
just let it be for a while
yeah i think i will. maybe she really is not ready yet. but it was really exciting to see her pee and poop in the toiletbowl the first few times. she was super excited about them as well and told all our neighbours.

now if only my mother in law will stop bragging abt how she got her 2 sons toilet trained at 1 year old!

lol.

vinder79

Ws thinking of potty training my 23 mth old and was hoping that i could get some advise here.Now i did and will tell the CC teachers to let him do it when he is ready.

tika

My korean friend recommended an ebook by Lora Jensen, potty train your child in 3 days. I'm still contemplating whether I am willing to give it a shot. Surprisingly she said children are ready to be trained the moment they can communicate with you. And by communication she doesn't just mean verbal, but by gestures and body language as well. I've read blogs of normal mommies who write about their experience in the 3 days and they said focus and patience is all you need. All their children were trained in 3 days. I told my hubby zhun boh?

The author also said there's a big misconception about training the child only when they are ready and by ready many parents and some pds meant at the age of close to 3, the age when u can't persuade them without a power struggle.

Then I found out about early potty training. Some were trained at 4 months. Really unbelievable lorrrr!!!!

Will update here if I decide to give it a try.

Mummy to Baby V

I started pre potty training when my boy was 7 months old. Simply let him sit on a red potty (favourite colour) once a day. After one mth, he could relax and pee in it. I let him sit on it during every diaper change, it's ok to have no output. Just to inculcate a habit.

After 1 more month (9 mths old), he started poo-ing in it regularly, though sometimes he still poos in his diaper.

Now at 14 mths old, he just started telling me before he poos.

He is using modern cloth diapers full-time, which I believe helps him feel the wetness and aids his potty-training progress. Our parents managed to potty-trained us by 1-2 years old because we were mostly in cloth diapers, and they let us use the potty from a very young age.

You may also get cloth training pants for your toddler. These are like underwear, with an absorbent layer at the bottom and waterproof layer. These help keep messes in, sobthere is less cleaning up to do.

Feel free to read about our potty-training journey at my website here.

All the best!