how to put infants to sleep successfully?

huiboonimini

Any great ideas to share?

Also, do you all buy those toy which claims to produce womb's sounds?
I wonder if it works, anyone used it before?

CanCanMum

i managed to put my boy to sleep everyday when he was an infant, at 8.30pm, took 30 mins for him to fall asleep...usually singing nursery rhyms or lullaby to him will make him fall asleep coz he focuses his eyes on my moving lips until he gets too tired and sleeps....successful from 2.5 months onwards.

Ottermum

Hi you have to be alert to note your bb sleepy moment...like yawning, rubbing eyes etc n quickly prepare bb for bed. my bb's 2 months plus only recently able to 'catch' his sleepy moment. sometimes i use a mini drum to distract him make him bored sometimes jus simply pat him to sleep... depends on his 'sleepiness' it takes 15mins to an hour!! pls note bb gets fussy n cry (like mine) when overly tired n can't sleep on their own so i try to catch his sleepy moment whenever it's abt time. try to make bb awake 2 hours b4 bedtime hope it helps. my bb sleeps fr 11pm to around 2,3,4am for a feed n sleeps again til around 5,6,7 plus sometimes i hope he could sleep longer!!! waking everybody up at 5 plus am's no joke!!! tips anybody? make bb sleep longer? mine's 2 months plus turning 3 months soon...

huiboonimini

Yes! mine took 1- 2hrs sometimes. I don't understand, she is obviously tired with her eyes dozing off (not yet totally shut) & yet it still takes me so long to put her to slp. =(
I used to carry & rock/ feed her till she sleep, but getting tired of it & moreover, feed until she sleeps at night might end up clearing her vomit as well. So I've just introduced her a pacifier; when she is drowsy- let her suckle till she totally KO, afterwhich, she will automatically 'spit' it out. The only problem is that, ometimes when she is asleep already & the pacifier comes out, she adjust her position & her mouth tries to suckle for something & nothing, she will end up waking up again. -_-!!
Another thing is she is easily woken up by noises, very sensitive. I heard that infants can't sleep with TOTAL silence, it's better if there's white noise at the backgrd. Therefore, beside having 2 fans switched on, I thought of getting those toys which plays womb's sound, so as to put her to sleep more effectively & maybe 'cover up' the additional noises outside the room. But not cheap though, so I want to ask ard if it works first.
I've read that bb needs alot of sleep. But afternoon time, she seldom sleep straight through for 3-4hrs. It's always 1-2hrs, cries, another 1 hr, cries, half an hr likedat. Can anyone share the sleeping pattern of their infants? My bb is 2 months & 1 week, she sleeps between 8-9pm & wakes up at 2-3am for feed, after an hr of feeding & crying, sleeps & wakes up again at 7-7.30am for feed & would be tired by 9am plus, the rest of the timings are not fixed, as morning & afternoon it's not easy to get her to sleep.

Ottermum

wow guess wat?!! my boy's the same as your gal!!! he's 2 months 3 weeks old now n only abt last week then i was able to catch his sleepy signs n quickly put him to bed... now during the day he sleeps in sarong... finally aft weeks of carrying him to sleep n the moment he felt the cot he woke up n cried n we had to repeat everything again!! me n MIL exhausted!! my hubby had no choice bought the sarong so we jus put him to sleep in sarong during the day...he doesn't like it too but we dun care cos we so tired from carrying him all day!! i'll try not giving him pacifier to sleep cos when it drops he wakes up again...yes it's so frustrating!! i also swaddle him tightly at nite if not he'll wake up every 10 mins from startle reflex... he hates being swaddled too so i only do it when he's asleep abt 8 mins... in the afternoon he wakes up every half hour in his sarong also... always fidgeting my MIL dun care jus keeps rocking him n tries make him stay in there longer...FRUSTRATING ISN'T IT?!! sooo tiring for us n not good for him cos aren't babies suppose to sleep all day n nite? now i manage to make him sleep by 10/11pm but he wakes up at 2am for a feed n wakes up at 5am disturbing everyone in the house cos he can't sleep already!!!! yes n he cries alot too!!! now during the day we're slightly better becos of sarong i'm jus vexed by him waking up at 5am!!!! he doesn't even sleep for 8 hrs i'm so worried!!! help anybody???

SH74

i think must catch his 'want to sleep' symptoms. i'll usu carry n pat him while singing. abt 15-30 min will sleep liao. my boy likes the feeling of wind blowing. so usu will turn on fan, blow at him (not directly). he shiok until sleep. if still cannot, will walk or sway left n right slowly.

huiboonimini

catching sleep signs is not tough.. she will doze off straightaway after drinking like 120-150ml. The only tough part is getting infants to sleep longer & deeper, in a sense that they don't wake up (still feeling sleepy) after only like half hr or so. My gal don't like sarong, again she will sleep but after 10-15mins if you don't shake it, she will move & wakes up. I have tried shaking it continuously for 3hrs !!! so that she can sleep right through; my arm can break. I have given up on sarong already, she sleeps in her own cot since birth till now.
I wonder if infants at such young age knows when they are not at their own home. Sometimes I bring her back to my mum's house, although she's tired, she will not be able to sleep even for 10mins. I tried staying there for 5-6hrs from the afternoon, & she will be awake for as long! I couldn't bear to see her tired look & her bedtime is near, so I quickly went home at 8pm & after feeding & cleaning up, she will sleep like 8-10hrs straight. 10 hrs, no joke. U can imagine how tired she was. And what worries me is that, after I go back to work, she will have to be taken care by my mum, I wonder how is she going to survive w/o much sleep there, might try bringing her cot there, so that at least there's something familiar she can connect to.

CanCanMum

u can put a toy above her cot so that u dun need to bring the whole cot there....so tat she spots something similar hanging above her head and feels at home....at least 60% similar...

yes u r rite....newborns as early as 1 month will be able to tell the difference....they are smart nowadays....my boy was looking looking here and there on weekends when i looked after him last time...and will cry initially...but soon they will know when to expect caretakers and when to expect u.

babyjoy

My girl's the same! She's 2 months now... I am facing the same problems as well. My gal normally fall asleep after feeding or even sometimes during feeding..during the day, once she fall asleep, I will put her in sarong...but she will wakes up in about 30 minutes or less, then I will carry & rock till she doze off again & put her back to sarong, sometimes she does fall asleep again (if lucky, 1 or 2 hours) & sometimes she just dun sleep again. I am getting tired of it, also tired of rocking, in the end I bought a electronic rocker. It help slightly. She also cries alot, sometime, whatever is done has been done.. introducing her a pacifier! She "pui" as she do not like it.
IM very frustrating & STILL VERY VERY VERY EXHAUSTED!!!

My gal also does not have any fixed timing AT ALL except feeding at 2.5-3 hourly. Every day, is a new challenge for me, as I dun noe what will I be expecting from her & no plan for the day is successful. There was once I could not take it that I start to feel very very depressed & cried.
My husband suggest that I leave her to my mother for a few days b'cos he worried that I'll be mentally depressed. It does help abit..but i guess we need to be patience..:eek:10:

I'll be back to work after CNY..and I'm worried that my mum whom is going to take care of her will be really tired...Haiz...:tsad:

SH74

newborns tend to still hv sense of insecurity. that's y if u carry them n sleep, they can sleep v long.

like wat cancanmum said, try to let her hv 'smelly smelly' when she sleeps. usu newborns likes cloth that are soft n smooth. i got for my boy a monkey blankie fr taka. $9.90 only.

Ottermum

My girl's the same! She's 2 months now... I am facing the same problems as well. My gal normally fall asleep after feeding or even sometimes during feeding..during the day, once she fall asleep, I will put her in sarong...but she will wakes up in about 30 minutes or less, then I will carry & rock till she doze off again & put her back to sarong, sometimes she does fall asleep again (if lucky, 1 or 2 hours) & sometimes she just dun sleep again. I am getting tired of it, also tired of rocking, in the end I bought a electronic rocker. It help slightly. She also cries alot, sometime, whatever is done has been done.. introducing her a pacifier! She "pui" as she do not like it.
IM very frustrating & STILL VERY VERY VERY EXHAUSTED!!!

My gal also does not have any fixed timing AT ALL except feeding at 2.5-3 hourly. Every day, is a new challenge for me, as I dun noe what will I be expecting from her & no plan for the day is successful. There was once I could not take it that I start to feel very very depressed & cried.
My husband suggest that I leave her to my mother for a few days b'cos he worried that I'll be mentally depressed. It does help abit..but i guess we need to be patience..:eek:10:

I'll be back to work after CNY..and I'm worried that my mum whom is going to take care of her will be really tired...Haiz...:tsad:
Hi babyjoy u have to be patient i felt the same also until recently when finally my boy sort of has a sleeping routine. last time everyday was a challenge i didn't know what to expect from him n whether 'today' would be a smooth sailing one for me, MIL n him...(read my previous posting) yup it's tough but u gotta be patient...

when your bb's awake engage her with some activities... i know it's hard cos she's still a newborn. we bought the fisherprice rocker with colourful dangling stuff for him to see but he gets bored aft abt 30mins... luckily we also have a lying mat 'Safari' for him too... if not we'll carry him n try baby talk to him to make him feel occupied. whenever u spot bb's sleepy signs u can try sending her to bed... for us it's the sarong he'll cry n grumble a while n finally doze off.

we also bought a nite light so at night when it's time for bed i jus on the nite light so the room's not so bright... think sooner or later bb will know it's time for bed... i placed him onto the cot, swaddle him n pat him for a while... sometimes he needs the pacifier... abt 15-30mins he falls asleep
...finally aft 2 months plus of torture i manage to set a sleeping routine for him!!

my bb still wakes up at 2am n 5am for milk though... i hope he can sleep through soon... jus gotta b patient abt it!

u don't have to follow my ways... depending on your bb n your daily routine sooner or later u'll b able set a routine for her too don't be frustrated ok cheer up she's your little precious!!

badtzzz

i used to have similar problems when my girl was 1 month plus. She couldn't sleep in the night. Keep crying and crying, tried many ways to make her to sleep but did nt work. Finally, introduce her pacifier. Then she slps well with that on her fussy days. Also tried diming down the nite so she knows it's nite time and change to her sleeping suit. Now, she woke up once for her feed at abt 630-730am..I'm happy with her as she did not disturb me at 3am..

Now, noon naps are a problem. She doesn't sleeps and i have to play with her in the baby world. i tried pacifier but she rejects it most of the time. On alternate days she sleeps like 30 mins after a feed or pat and starts to cry and that continue till the night. It's very tiring and frustrated for me...but less noons naps means deeper slp in the nite which is gd

You can try the routines the books and baby websites always recommend.
Reduce activity, sing song, swaddle, put in cot and pat to sleep.

Never worked for me though... I had to carry my bb and rock her for 1/2 hr.
At least now bb is 9 mths,and has invented her own way of sleeping.

badtzzz

it's kind of amazing that, she doesn't cry when she wakes up in the nite...kind of weird as compared to the noon. any reason for that pattern of slping?

CanCanMum

it's kind of amazing that, she doesn't cry when she wakes up in the nite...kind of weird as compared to the noon. any reason for that pattern of slping?
its a sleeping cycle....sometimes we wake up after deep sleep, light sleep again...den deep sleep etc etc....newborns normally dunno how to put themselves back to sleep.....even sometimes my boy sits up in the middle of the night...watching us sleep....den he went back to sleep again....funny.

babyjoy

Hi Mummies

Thanks for all the great advice ... initially, I tot my gal was the only one with sleeping problems ..Now at 8 weeks (= 2 months), during the day if she doesn't sleep, I try engage her with activities like baby talk or let her lay on the "safari" lying mat with dangling stuff. So when I spot bb's sleepy signs, yawning or starts to get cranky, then I'll pat her b4 putting her to sleep. She used to like sleeping in sarong, but now sometimes when I put her down she'll be awake again.. struggling like "worm".. if she stares blankly, then I switch on the electronic rocker to rock her to see if she sleeps...Haiz....hopefully everyday will be better *cross my fingers*:embarrassed:

And m oso very worry , I'll be bringing her to the PD for injection..

BTW - Happy CNY to all mummies!

vonn81

wow...now then i know there are mummies out there having the same prob s me...
- Need to carry to sleep, then once put down wakes up
This was solved only when she is after 3-4 mths
- Wakes up 2 times for feed
This was solved after 2-3 mths, now only 1 feed ard 5am
- Intro pacifier cos bobian, but once drop out will cry for it, esp at night
Till now still remain unsolve, but lesser times now. Its really tiring to wake up so many times a night.
- Taking very short nap like half hr each, abt 2-3times a day
Only recently theres a slight increase to an hr to an hr haf, but not consistant
- Sleep late at night, after 11pm. I tot most bb sleeps s early s 7-8pm. She does, but its nap not thru out. Sian. cant have own time when she sleeps so late. end up i sleep s early s 2am.lolx
Now i just started to skip her 8pm nap. so hopefully she can sleep ard 10 plus. and its thru out till 5am feed.

Not easy to handle infant...really need plenty on energy and patients...

yvonne_ktw

try to use your finger lightly slowly touch from their foreheaddown to nose and they tend to close their eyes. maybe this may help you.
Also, let them take "chin feng san". just a little on your finger and put in their mouth. This can last them to sleep longer at night. Take before their last feed at night.
Not sure if this will work on others or not. Just some experience from me. =)

2nite was terrible. DH usually carries her when he home from work. That's around 6++pm. They have a strange routine where dd will suck on dh's biceps & bury her head into dh's armpit Disgusting I know but it seems to calm her down & easier to put her to bed. DH left for Korea this morning. DD cry & cry at 7+pm. Cry until no voice. 1st time I see her cry so badly. I oso feel like crying. I so desperate I stood in dh's clothes closet & stuck her head into his shirts. She stop crying & fell asleep! DH won't b back till Sat. Only 2mths already daddy's little girl. Sigh.