How to remove wind from baby (13 mths)??

diymummy

Hi mummies,

I noticed recently that my son's tummy is really bloated. He has also seemed to stop burping even though we try to pat his back. We also tried rubbing Ru Yi oil on his tummy but it doesn't seem to work.

I think the bloated tummy is affecting his appetite greatly as well as his fluid intake.

Any mummies experienced this before? How to remove wind effectively? Can I use back Colic Drops to help expel wind?

camom

I experienced this with my son last mth. His tummy was very bloated too. I tried colic drops, he did burp/fart but then, the gassiness did not totally subside. Coincidentally, that was abt the time we started him on FM. After discontinuing, the gas issue was resolved.

Did he take any new food recently?

Ting

give him some sweet potatoes??
pin always puuuuttttttttttttt when she takes sweet potatoes.
actually i stopped burping pin since she was a few mths old. cos she auto burp herself. (n im lazy to. :p )

also when u apply ruyi oil, try massaging in circular movement.

diymummy

I experienced this with my son last month. His tummy was very bloated too. I tried colic drops, he did burp/fart but then, the gassiness did not totally subside. Coincidentally, that was about the time we started him on FM. After discontinuing, the gas issue was resolved.

Did he take any new food recently?
He has been taking very much the same types of food for a while now. But he has been on medication for a long time after he started coughing and it has been lasting for a few months.

On Mon, the doc gave him Flumicil which we started but he felt really uncomfy after it. Yesterday he vomitted right after the med. We are stopping the Flumicil today as well as all other forms of cough medication.

I did notice that his tummy became increasingly more bloated after he started falling ill more frequently. I think I started noticing his tummy getting more bloated when he was abt 11 mths.

Since I've stopped the medications only today, was wondering if there're ways to expel the trapped wind.

He used to be able to finish 150ml of milk at once. Then it became 120ml. Then it became 100ml... Then 90 and for the last 3 days, 50ml. Which means we have to break his feed of 210ml into various sessions so that he can finish the whole amount.

I didn't mention the bloated tummy to my doc. Sigh... Maybe I should bring him back?

Oh yeah, which colic drops you using? What's the dosage you use? Thanks!!!

give him some sweet potatoes??
pin always puuuuttttttttttttt when she takes sweet potatoes.
actually i stopped burping pin since she was a few mths old. cos she auto burp herself. (n im lazy to. :p )

also when you apply ruyi oil, try massaging in circular movement.
I've tried giving him sweet potatoes but I give him the Jap kinds.. Taro. Is that the same that you give Pin?

He used to auto burp himself but recently stopped doing so. Now even when we pat pat pat his back he also don't want to burp.

Ok.. Will try to do the circular movement thing. I always just rub on my hands and then rub on his tummy.

Ting

hmmm my mum alternates.
sometimes she buys taro, some time the normal ones. (cos sometimes my neighbour steam n give us, so she eats the normal ones)

what abt gripe water??

camom

diymummy, I use Ridwind, dosage according to the printed instructions. I'll check tonite and let you know. His paed prescribed this previously so I bought it OTC.

Try bb massage. I do this on my kids when they are constipated, should help with the gas relief too. Rub bb's abdomen clockwise gently with palm of hand.

Last edited:

diymummy

hmmm my mum alternates.
sometimes she buys taro, some time the normal ones. (cos sometimes my neighbour steam n give us, so she eats the normal ones)

what about gripe water??
I heard Gripe Water is sweet.. Need to mix with water. You used before? You know if it works or how much to mix?

I've not been down to the pharmacy yet. Just only thought abt the bloatedness when I was sending son to infant care.

The normal sweet potato is those selling at NTUC that says "Vietnamese sweet potato"?? Is it ahh?

Ting

yah its sweet...actually i seldom give pin lehs.. only when she was baby, just a few times only.
iirc, i add like maybe 1 teaspoon into 125ml of water?? (the small avent btl).. i think there r instructions stated how much to give per how many ml of water.
i think some ppl also mix in milk lehs..
hmmm, all the vege we buy from wet market, so i dunno which type. only know its orange "meat" deee.

diymummy

Ok.. I will try the orange meat sweet potato. That one I never try before.

I will try the colic drops first bahh.. If no improvement I will use gripe water. If still no improvement then is must see PD liaoo...

Haizz...

Phoebii Cheng

Hi diymummy,

Normally for my son I will just use the ru yi oil or the oil tht my mom brought frm indo for me, I will massage my son's tummy after bath, it will keep the tummy warm.....

Did your son take cold stuff recently?

Also mayb u wanna try Ting's suggestion of giving ur son sweet potato and some gripe water first before gg to see the PD....sometimes eating too much med will cause a child to loose appetite....like my son tht time when he was sick, he would drink very little but many times in a day.....

We mummies always worry abt our child....

Oh btw, you can try giving ur son papaya, heard tht it helps with bloatedness...

diymummy

Hi Phoebii mummy,

Is the Ru Yi oil from indo the square bottle one? I read in the forum before that there's this square bottle ru yi oil...

My son hates cold stuff... Even when his milk is cold he would refuse to drink it.

Ok... Will try to feed him papaya... I will mix it into his cereal otherwise he would refuse to eat it.

Have you used Gripe Water before Phoebii mummy?

Phoebii Cheng

Hi diymummy,

No the oil tht my mom brought is round bottle, and the colour is quite clear in indo it is called the minyak telon (if I am not wrong).....and it is not hot like the ru yi oil

As for gripe water, yes I give my son but lately did not give...normally would mix it tog with his milk, cos' he got phobia of medicine, so thot tht I feed him medicine whenever I give him something in spoon

Oh and does ur son hv full set of teeth, I heard almonds oso might help sometimes I let my son eat a bit of almonds

diymummy

Hi Phoebii mummy,

Ok.. I'll keep a look out for the clear type of Ru Yi oil...

My son don't have full set of teeth. He only has 4 teeth niaa.... *slap forehead*

Coming 14 mths liaoo only have 4 teeth.

Phoebii Cheng

Ohh 4 teeth cannot eat the almonds.....

But it's ok, they say most bbs will develop the full set of teeth by 2yrs old....

jasobias

hey diymummy
whenever my baby used to be bloated i fed her gripe water..5ml in abt 30ml of warm water(the warmer the better..if baby can tolerate).
Did help expel gas.She doesnt have tht prob now but i always have a bottle of gripe water as a standby.
n some meds do cause bloatedness..even i as an adult when taking meds it causes me to feel so bloated so i imagine it cld be worse for a baby.

diymummy

Thanks for the proportion of Gripe Water to administer jasobias mummy. :)

Later I'll be going to get the Colic drops and Gripe Water. If colic drops don't work. I'm gonna use gripe water.

Sweet potato and papayas would have to wait till after CNY.

epicurean

Hi diymummy,

My 2-cents' worth for long-term management of wind. My boy has GERD and always has bouts of wind & bloatedness. I started him on probiotics (good bacteria) to improve his gut flora plus immunity. He was on Reutefene probiotics drops ... expensive but good coz I saw significant difference in terms of his digestion, poop pattern, wind & bloated tummy. When he got better, I switched him to LactoGG probiotics coz it's more value for money. It more or less takes care of his digestion & wind issues and I could concentrate on dealing with his GERD.

Last edited:

diymummy

Thanks epicurean mummy...

When your boy is bloated does it affect his appetite a lot? Have you also tried things like colic drops and gripe water?

My son, just today... only drank 200ml of milk the whole day.

stonston

When my boy has bloated stomach we do all of the following:
- massage thrice a day using minyak telon (fm indo). Must massage the back also.
- increase on probiotics (either increase his daily powder dosage or give more yogurt)
- add colic drops to his milk (I think the brand is infantcol?)

epicurean

Thanks epicurean mummy...

When your boy is bloated does it affect his appetite a lot? Have you also tried things like colic drops and gripe water?

My son, just today... only drank 200ml of milk the whole day.
No worries, diymummy. Being bloated doesn't really affect his appetite but it does make his GERD worse ... he struggles to burp more often and/or coz of the trapped air bubbles and the struggling could trigger his vom.

I have tried colic drops (ridwind) and gripe water but they made his GERD worse (I dunno why) ... he ended up vomitting a lot and badly and he was even more upset than usual. His osteo advised me to put a heat pack or hot water bottle against his tummy for 15 mins when he's sleeping to keep tummy warm to help with wind & digestion. That helps on his particularly bloaty days (and nights). That and tummy massage.

Is your boy also taking soft food or solids, in addition to milk? Try to settle the urgent stuff first - his bloatedness & discomfort. His appetite will improve as his tummy feels better.