How to Start Very Young Children on Reading Independantly?

Justina

I think every parent dream of seeing their child picking up reading at young age. Young here means as young as 2-4 years of age. Do you have any idea how to start?

I'm particularly surprised by a reading program called Children Learning Reading. A daddy had trained his two young kids to read through phonics at the age of 2+. By 4, his daughter can read a story book fluently. Watch the video too!

Mummy73

Let me share w u my story.

One of my daughters play group's mum used to boast how well her child could read.... Blah blah blah... As a mother, I din want my child to lag behind. Then she was already 3, and couldn't recite her A-Z yet. I lament at her slowness and bought a white board and was determined she's gg to know her A-Z. I remember how frustrated I was when she just couldn't remember what comes after C! I shouted at her why can't she remember something so simple. She then looked at me and said in a most innocent tone ," mummy I am only a child." I froze in amazement. Why am I so Kia-su forcing her to learn, perhaps she's just not ready.

i also did send her for a semester of phonics class ( a very reputable center), the teacher's feedback was ,"she loves dancing ."

It then hit me that all kids are different . Some learn faster, some learn slower.

My daughter is 9year old already. She's in the best class, and instead on focusing on just academic, she has piano, Taekwando , swimming, and abacus. She'll be sitting for her grade 3 piano exam in June. She did all her basic survival swimming tests at one go, and skip bronze to do silver. If all goes as planned, she should get her black belt in Taekwando this December. As for abacus, she's doing just fine. In Stage 9 already. Her teacher describes her as a fast and eager learner.

She simply loves reading. She's a big fan of Roald Dahl, and Thea Stilton.

My advise to all mummies is to let ur child enjoy her childhood, and enjoy having fun w ur child.

teap

Thanks for sharing, Justina.

My 3 year-old boy is showing high interest in reading now, I would like to give it a try as well.
premium package comes with the pre-set flash cards and lesson printouts along with the lesson videos

Last edited:

Justina

most welcome teap. i think it's impressive if kids can read at such young age :)

the basic package is quite enough to keep me busy...haha! i would love to hear from you on your progress with the premium package. take care!

Justina

It's been 6 months since I started Elden on Children Learning Reading Program. I'm glad after these few months, he can finally read a Phonics Level 2 story book independently! Super happy! View his reading journey or find out about the Children Learning Reading Program here.

wonderfulmum

Mummu73.. i am amaze by your story.. i experience the same case as u...where parents boast ard how gd their children are.. now my daughther is going 4 this yr.. and still did'nt recognise Alphabets n numbers...do u think i need to send her to phonics class.?? Tot of signing her to KUMON this march.. appreciate ir respond and other mummies too.. ;))

wonderfulmum, is your kid in school? how is her progress there? did the teacher feedback on what was taught there?

4 years old is the right age to start working on communication and intellect before the kid moves on to primary school.
Phonics class is good if the kid is weak in pronunciation. However, perhaps you might want to look into building her interest in reading, what we called Natural Reading, and thinking process so that he/she can link what he read to his thoughts, vice versa. As you realised, pronunciation is just part of an expression. :D