how to stop my girl having pacifier and lots of Qns !

jassmine

Hi mummies, my girl was 18mth old this mth, yet she still sucking pacifier often. whenever we keep her pacifier, she will start searching around and scream and cry for it and even lie down on the floor ( this goes to when she wants something n when we don't give her too ). is there anyway to teach her? she is out of my control now~ i have some qns to ask below..

-she is going to playschool soon, doesn't want her to walk around with her pacifier.is there anyway to stop her from using it?:embarrassed:

- my gal temper is going from bad to worse, is there any way to teach her? she understand what i said but she cant speak well, only cry to express herself.

-she is still drinking her milk every 3hours even she have solid food, actually i don't mind her from drinking every 3 hr but what if she goes to school for half day class? does the teacher there can feed her every 3 hr? she still refuse to hold her own bottle.

Thanks in Advance

Jassmine

diymummy

Hi jassmine, my answers are in blue...

Hi mummies, my girl was 18mth old this month, yet she still sucking pacifier often. whenever we keep her pacifier, she will start searching around and scream and cry for it and even lie down on the floor ( this goes to when she wants something n when we dont't give her too ). is there anyway to teach her? she is out of my control now~ i have some qns to ask below..

-she is going to playschool soon, doesn't want her to walk around with her pacifier.is there anyway to stop her from using it?:embarrassed:

My son doesn't use the pacifier but he doesn't want to suck from a straw. Everyone in his playgroup can drink from a straw except him. So for us, we used a spout cup until now. The teacher doesn't mind him using the spout cup but told us that they will also help us to train him to drink from a straw.

My point is, not to worry. The teachers will try to help your daugther from outgrowing the pacifier. It might be tough at first because the pacifier might be her "comfort" in an unfamiliar place. Give her some time. Once the routine in school sets in, she might be willing to give up her pacifier. Not to mention that peer pressure also helps. Meaning, when she sees other kids in school not using pacifier, she might want to stop using it altogether.

You might want to try keep the pacifier away for longer intervals each time. Eg, you keep away for 10min.. then increase it to 20min and so on.

- my gal temper is going from bad to worse, is there any way to teach her? she understand what i said but she cant speak well, only cry to express herself.

I think every kid has their tantrums and tempers. The reason being is they are unable to control their emotions and giving in to their tantrums reinforces this behaviour which is not good.

For my son, when he loses his temper and screams. I will ignore him. I will ask him to calm down, to sit down and wait, or to go play with other things first. After several weeks, he was able to understand that I will give him what he wants, eg milk, but he just gotta wait for it.

-she is still drinking her milk every 3hours even she have solid food, actually i dont't mind her from drinking every 3 hr but what if she goes to school for half day class? does the teacher there can feed her every 3 hr? she still refuse to hold her own bottle.

Before my son moved from infant care to play group, he was also having his mlk every 3 hrs. When he first moved over the playgroup, he couldn't adapt and was very hungry by lunch.

2 weeks later, he kinda got the idea that there's not going to be milk given at 10am. So he drinks more in the morning and eats more at lunch to make up for the drop in 1 milk feed.

Thanks in Advance

Jassmine

Hope this helps.

chiro

Johanan also struggle to lie down when he hungry and we are carrying him

cannot help u on pacifier as johanan doesnt haf them.. But mayb u can try to smear something she scaredd of on the pacifier ?

Maybe she wil quit pacifier due to peer pressure at play school..techers there shld feed her wheneveer she hungr gua

our children r at terror two stage, cant talk well and express their frustration thru anger...

I try to guess what he wants..n he will nod or shake his head to guide me...usually is he want to play wif something tat is out of reach orwant to go out..

Of course if its food... He will bring hold my mil's hand n bring her to kitchen n point to banana or tin of milk and point to his mouth jus to make sure that we know he is hungry haha

Hi mummies, my girl was 18mth old this month, yet she still sucking pacifier often. whenever we keep her pacifier, she will start searching around and scream and cry for it and even lie down on the floor ( this goes to when she wants something n when we dont't give her too ). is there anyway to teach her? she is out of my control now~ i have some qns to ask below..

-she is still drinking her milk every 3hours even she have solid food, actually i dont't mind her from drinking every 3 hr but what if she goes to school for half day class? does the teacher there can feed her every 3 hr? she still refuse to hold her own bottle.

Thanks in Advance

Jassmine

Ashbaby

Thanks in Advance

Jassmine

Ignoring her tantrum is the best. When my sis was younger she would throw tantrum whenever her goal was not reached. We just let her be!! After a while she understand if she needs anything she will need to tell us properly.

Same thing for pacifier, just have to stay firm.

Ting

actually when pin started CC at 18mths, she also had her pacifier with her, but only during nap times. subsequently, i weaned her off at close to 2 yo.
my way of doing is, asking her if her friends had pacifiers on, n most dont, so i tell her, she is a big girl now, cant always suck on pacifier. n it does help that my dad told her if she kept sucking on it, her teeth would all drop off. LOL.
then after she gets tt idea into her head, i asked her to throw her pacifier away herself. at first threw in normal bin, but she went searching for it, so i made her throw into the rubbish chute. when she asked for it, i will remind her, SHE threw it away alr. she was weaned totally within 2 weeks n didnt asked for it anymore.
actually right now, u can start to "psycho" her to wean off alr, like try to distract her when u know (im sure she will show signs) she wants her pacifier. then slowly reduce the amt of time she uses it, maybe just to bedtime n naps.

also, like diy mentioned, the teachers will help u in weaning off the pacifier, but both must work tgt. for me, when i mentioned to the teachers abt wanting to wean her off, they also try not to give her the pacifier in sch during nap time. sometimes they bluff her tt mummy forgot to pack it in her bag, sometimes they jst tell her that her other frens are not using so she shldnt too. then, i just stopped packing it in her bag. :)
my only advice is encourage her to talk. at 18mths, she shld be able to express herself to u with simple words instead of crying. ie milk, toys, etc.
first u must make sure she knows the "name" of the things, which i think she does since she can ustd u.
it might be frustrating for both u n her in the beginning but u hv to be constant n patient. if she wants milk, (n u know it) ask her: "u want MILK?" if she just cry, tell her nicely: "do u want milk? u must tell mummy if not mummy dont know what u want." show her the milk btl n ask her again: MILK? (so she can link milk to milk btl, something like that) same goes with toys, if it is a ball, keep repeating BALL to her. so she gets the word into her mind.
the best way (IMO) to encourage a child to talk is to constantly engage in a convo with her n priase her if she pronounces it correctly. :)

with regards to her temper- dun just give in to her the moment she starts crying. tell her to cool down n calm her down b4 asking her what she wants. sometimes pin whines when she wants something n no one is giving her attention. so i ask her to stop crying n whining n being angry n throwing temper (LOL) and tell me nicely what she wants if not i cant understand her at all.
i will try to sound like her whining n repeat what she says like: i want milk milk, ehhhhh eeeeeeee ahhhhhh~ those kinda sound n ask her: "can u hear what mummy say?" haha obviously she cant cos i make it sound "un-hear-able". then she slowly understands tt point im making.

usually half day classes r how long? ehh sorry i duno how long, but u can give the teachers instructions to feed her milk every 3hrs. when pin started CC, she has one milk feed b4 nap(which is after bath time) n one milk feed b4 dinner iirc.

Thanks in Advance

Jassmine
hope these help. :)

Last edited: