How to stop thumb sucking?

Selina_Fong

Any one has any advice to stop thumb sucking? My boy is 3 years old and still sucks his thumb. It is really unsightly and I am afraid it will affect his teeth and thumb. :we2arghh:

Ting

think got some kinda medicine tt u can buy then put ya bb hand then they will stop sucking cos the smell or taste very yucky or sumting..not sure if pharmacy got sell...

cendrine

think got some kinda medicine tt u can buy then put ya bb hand then they will stop sucking cos the smell or taste very yucky or sumting..not sure if pharmacy got sell...
yea..heard of it before. What's the name, anyone ?

I want this ugly habit 2 go away. :(

My DD has been sucking thumb since NB, to the extent of bleeding at times.

jeSsie_Dz

mayb can try askin frm pharmacy or when ur kiddo next visit to doc..
saw one for biting of nails type at kkh pharmacy last week.. didnt see if they have for thumb suckin...

Mon_Mon

Is there really such medication? My 3yr old girl has this problem too. Doesn't seem to be able to get her out of it. I must go check it out.

cendrine

Is there really such medication? My 3yr old girl has this problem too. Doesn't seem to be able to get her out of it. I must go check it out.
Mon_Mon,

ur dd sucks thumb until 3 years old arh...:err:
that habit since nb till now has caused my dd's thumb looked ugly liao...

Mon_Mon

cendrine,
yalor.....having been trying to get rid of this bad habit since last year but not succeeding. Her thumb also looks very ugly, peeling skin and ugly nail. In fact, nail is soft and doesn't grow. Think digested by the siliva.

I bought the medication that prevents nail biting yesterday. Used it on her thumb. Whenever she tries to put her thumb in, she pulls it out immediately cos it taste really yucky. I tried tasting it myself....gosh!! it was bad.....EXTREMELY bitter. Hope this time round can succeed.

baobao

my DS also. and he's 4 now. he loves putting his fingers in his mouth and suck when he dun have his pacifer. to the extend where his fingers are peeling all the time. and he got the bad habit of using his index finger to dig his thumb until sometimes got blood.

xiaodaisy

haha here are some ways for u .. pacifier for him to suck so he won suck him thumb ...
buy those watery toys for him to bite cos maybe growing teeth itchy wanna bite ..
slighty slap his hand wenever he suck his thumb tellin him firmly NO ..
put medicated oil on his thumb so wen he sucked he feel spicy n won dare do it again..
cos not bery healthy to suck his thumb cos wen dey touch things around den rite after tat suck his thumb aiyo not gd rite.. so change it while early loh.. haha cos tats how i do to my 2 DS lolzz

cendrine

my DS also. and he's 4 now. he loves putting his fingers in his mouth and suck when he dun have his pacifer. to the extend where his fingers are peeling all the time. and he got the bad habit of using his index finger to dig his thumb until sometimes got blood.
same as me de.
mine's thumb while yr's index finger, sigh :nah:

baobao

i hate it lo.. now my DS's fingers look ugly now. wanna cut nails for him also no need liao, all either bite off by him or peeled off by him~ sighz.. boys muz also have nice looking nails.

leesm105

my gal 15mths now also suck thumb since 2-3mths old. She was dun want pacifier when introduce to her, now pacifier was used for her teething... maybe i shall monitor until she is 2 yrs old.
My ds previous like pacifier alots was stop by himself just before he turn 2 yrs old.
hopefully my ds will stop by herself, she only suck her thumb when she tired/want to sleep....

kkoh

My son also suck his thumb. He is 4yrs old and still sucking. Tried many methods to stop this habit and so far, none works. Tried the bitter solution - he washed his thumb under running water and continue sucking again. Put chilli, vinegar and whatever people taught me...it still doesn't works. Even pour away the bitter solution and refill with tap water.

Friend

Wah!!! then my P1 son is worst...he is still sucking his thumb as since baby, no pacifier, no need to cut his nail since young....He will only suck at home, but when we are out, he do not do this...out of curiosity, I asked him whether he do that in school, he will said "No, mummy, my friends will tease me".

I think this is controllable by himself. He is too old for my reasoning...nagging...do not work on him. I'm giving up... but, it seems that he is awared of this and trying to cut down his habit by himself.

I realised that he also like to use his hand to pick foods.... OMG....

Carol

My Ds is still young but Im worried it'll be difficult to kick this habit when he's much older . Any methods to stop when they're still a baby ?

cendrine

cendrine,
yalor.....having been trying to get rid of this bad habit since last year but not succeeding. Her thumb also looks very ugly, peeling skin and ugly nail. In fact, nail is soft and doesn't grow. Think digested by the siliva.

I bought the medication that prevents nail biting yesterday. Used it on her thumb. Whenever she tries to put her thumb in, she pulls it out immediately cos it taste really yucky. I tried tasting it myself....gosh!! it was bad.....EXTREMELY bitter. Hope this time round can succeed.
What medication u have bought?
Maybe I can try it also...hehe

So far, how? does it work ??