I am resigning as pri sch tr- last day 31 Dec 10

tenor

Alpha Male
I have finally work up the courage to tender my resignation.
I have been enjoying my time in Pei Chun Public School

So it's really difficult to let go.
I will especially miss my pupils & peers.

O I got my last parting gift from pupils
My P6 class improved, from last years' (P5 SA1 grades)
4 A stars and 32 As for EMS 80 Bs and 20 Cs
(English, Maths & Science) to PSLE where they were awarded
28 A stars, 94 As and 4Bs (No Cs. muahahaha)

It's been such a long journey.
10 1/2 years in the primary school. :Dancing_tongue:

Sorry just ranting.

gumbokins

Don't know if to congratulate you or to offer condolences!!

Bet you will miss the kids, but you won't miss the paperwork heehee.

Good job good job! Now what?

tenor

Alpha Male
Well the reason why I quit, is because I want to rectify the fact that I am teaching other people's children better than my own children.

The 1st nail in the coffin, so to speak is this. 2 years ago, I took up 3 Pri 3 tuition kids. 1 in the 20s, 1 30s and 1 50s for Maths. This SA2 2 got first in class for Maths and 2nd in lvl for Maths at P5.

The second nail is this - After PSLE (My P6 class in school), while I was preparing my own son for SA2, I found out that he didn't know a lot of stuff that he needed to know. So whose fault? I would say indirectly and directly mine. It's a vicious cycle.

So since MOE doesn't allow me such time that I need, it took me a long time to decide, but I finally am convinced that 2011 is the time. I mean I can earn money anywhere, but I can't return my kids their childhood. I want to break that vicious cycle.

My normal schedule next year will be like this
Morning - with my 2 younger ones. setting schedule for work and stuff.
Send them to school. around noon.
At 1230 to 1, no1 returns home from school. after lunch, set him for the afternoon's work.
1415 - start tuition class. I intend to do Maths from P2 to P6 at my place. 6 to 10 pupils. If it's P4 Maths, no 1 will join in.
1545 - class ends,
1600 pick no 3 up from class
1615 - start tuition class again.
1745 - class ends -
1800 check on no 1's work
1830 pick no 2 up.
1900 end of plan for a typical day.

On the sideline, I am producing a series of Maths Books. 2 books for each lvl. 1 book is specially for those who fail to cross the red line (My heart is always more for this group of pupils), one is for those who pass and want that A or A star.
I realize that there are no books for those who fail Maths in the market and those are the one that need serious help. So I am designing manipulative and stuff that can be produced along with the books.
After that, if they are well received, then I will do a range of books for English.
That's for the passive income.
The only problem now is to find a publisher. O well, get the books out first I guess, if no publisher, then I supposed I will print them myself and sell on the internet.

I am giving myself 1 year to get the maths books up.
But this staying at home job will be a 7 to 10 year plan.

bibiluvr

hihi,
yeah... i can't agree more that being a full time tr is getting more and more stressful with piling workload... did u consider going part time or flexi?

doratheexplorer

hi good for u that u have decided to concentrate on ur kids education which is more impt. i just joined the pre school teaching line and my son is going P1 next yr. donno if i shld feel happy or worried already. anyway may i ask if u give tuition 1-1 for p1. i stay cck. what would be ur rates. don mind me asking coz i am looking for good tutor to start my son off earlier.

tenor

Alpha Male
Thanks for your interest in getting me to help your child.
However I don't do P1. And I do it in a class setting at my place.
this is so that I can jagar my kids (my main reason why I quit to stay at home)
Besides, for P1-2 as long as he/she learns the number bonds and tables, he should be alright.

Regards

cmeilim

hi tenor,

u r a brave and wise woman who knows what's most important in life. the bonding, gratitude and appreciation you will get from your own children will far outweigh those from your students. i wish you all the best in your new adventure! =)

tenor

Alpha Male
Thanks cmeilim,
For you well wishes.

I do hope that my children will appreciate their daddy quitting his job to be home.

I wish you well too
And a Merry Christmas

Last edited:

cmeilim

paiseh, tenor. didn't pay attn to the note that it's daddy i am 'speaking' with. haha....all the more even more bravo becos it's even harder for men to make such a decision and give up a so-called 'proper career outside the home'. salute you ah!

merry xmas to you and your family too!

gumbokins

Thanks for your interest in getting me to help your child.
However I don't do P1. And I do it in a class setting at my place.
this is so that I can jagar my kids (my main reason why I quit to stay at home)
Besides, for P1-2 as long as he/she learns the number bonds and tables, he should be alright.

Regards
WHAT ARE number bonds and tables?????? :|

stonston

I'm also writing a series of Maths books. Currently working with a publisher.

If you are keen, I can hook you up with them. PM me if keen. :D

However, if I'm you, I would not work with publisher YET. At least not till the materials are finalised, tested and proven to be useful.

The pay publishers offer for 'first time' authors is miserable. Will not fit into your 7-10 year plan.

I'm also doing tuition from home. Have so much more spare time for myself and my son. And I'm earning way more than what MOE was paying me (no joke).

tenor

Alpha Male
@ InLoss. Erm. Well I am not working with a publisher yet as I have yet to finalize my work. So If no publisher, the most I just print then sell on the internet.

@stonston. Thanks for the very generous offer. But not at this time as I do understand miserable newbie pay as an author. Now I am only getting my tried and tested worksheets and notes of 10.5 years typed on soft copy. That's my current job atm. So that when the time comes for publishing I just need, probably a bit of editing and stuff. Can I ask you for this offer again at a later date? That may help.

nurman02

Well the reason why I quit, is because I want to rectify the fact that I am teaching other people's children better than my own children.

The 1st nail in the coffin, so to speak is this. 2 years ago, I took up 3 Pri 3 tuition kids. 1 in the 20s, 1 30s and 1 50s for Maths. This SA2 2 got first in class for Maths and 2nd in lvl for Maths at P5.

The second nail is this - After PSLE (My P6 class in school), while I was preparing my own son for SA2, I found out that he didn't know a lot of stuff that he needed to know. So whose fault? I would say indirectly and directly mine. It's a vicious cycle.

So since MOE doesn't allow me such time that I need, it took me a long time to decide, but I finally am convinced that 2011 is the time. I mean I can earn money anywhere, but I can't return my kids their childhood. I want to break that vicious cycle.

My normal schedule next year will be like this
Morning - with my 2 younger ones. setting schedule for work and stuff.
Send them to school. around noon.
At 1230 to 1, no1 returns home from school. after lunch, set him for the afternoon's work.
1415 - start tuition class. I intend to do Maths from P2 to P6 at my place. 6 to 10 pupils. If it's P4 Maths, no 1 will join in.
1545 - class ends,
1600 pick no 3 up from class
1615 - start tuition class again.
1745 - class ends -
1800 check on no 1's work
1830 pick no 2 up.
1900 end of plan for a typical day.

On the sideline, I am producing a series of Maths Books. 2 books for each lvl. 1 book is specially for those who fail to cross the red line (My heart is always more for this group of pupils), one is for those who pass and want that A or A star.
I realize that there are no books for those who fail Maths in the market and those are the one that need serious help. So I am designing manipulative and stuff that can be produced along with the books.
After that, if they are well received, then I will do a range of books for English.
That's for the passive income.
The only problem now is to find a publisher. O well, get the books out first I guess, if no publisher, then I supposed I will print them myself and sell on the internet.

I am giving myself 1 year to get the maths books up.
But this staying at home job will be a 7 to 10 year plan.

U are very brave and after reading this post, give me a more solid encouragement on what i am going to do now.

Teachers like u are very rare now... Its a great loss to those pupils...

GOOD LUCK daddy tenor! Wish u all the best...

MsKoh1973

good, I have worked in my current coy fo 10.5 yrs oso.........oso leaving after CNY...................yipeeeeee.............

jadek

Daddy tenor, I salute you for that wise decision of yours. But be prepared that teaching your own kids is very much different fr teaching other kids. At least that is what I feel.