I am very excited to breastfeed. What can i do to prepare for breastfeeding prenatal

wepo12

I have bought medela free pump and bottles plus accesories.

I havent buy nipple cream ( dunnoe which brand to use)
When can i start pumping.. Shall i bring my portable avent to hospital so I can use it after delivery? What will SGH nurses do If i told them I am breastfeeding?

Re: I am very excited to breastfeed. What can i do to prepare for breastfeeding prena

^Honestly, I wont recommend pumping so early :) You need to establish your supply first. I started pumping when baby was on his 4-5th week already. Trust me, you will get disappointed with your outcome if you pump so early. 2 of my friends complained to me about pumping only 1oz and they thought they don't have enough milk when in reality babies don't really need much on their first few weeks.

It helps if you can attend those breastfeeding workshops in hospitals & also read some online breastfeeding references. You can check kellymom.com :)

And you can skip the nipple creme. Your breastmilk alone is good enough if ever you get cracked, sore nipples.

Edwinie

Re: I am very excited to breastfeed. What can i do to prepare for breastfeeding prena

i had blisters during the first few days. i used avent nipple cream and the nurses who saw the bottle commented that it is a good brand. i helps me. yes, breastmilk helps sore and cracked nipples, but they dry up too fast once it's spread around.. so nipple cream helps me a lot. just buy a small bottle. i don't think u will get to finish it because i didn't.

don't pump so early. just keep latching. i also started pumping at around 4-5 weeks. i pumped because my son takes milk faster from the bottle. i mixed fm and bm through latching during the first 3 weeks because i have not enough. after that, my son seems to like the bottle better and i feel less tired as my family members can help me to feed him. so i started pumping. given a choice, if my son is not fussy at the breast, i'll just latch.

the best is to keep latching for at least a few weeks until your milk stabilise. don't think u need to bring the pump to the hospital. the most important thing is to increase your supply and your baby is the best tool. breast pump is not as effective as baby suckling. so u need the best stimulator of breastmilk which is your child!

Mummy to Baby V

Latching on is best for first few weeks, to establish supply and prevent nipple confusion.
Need to give baby and yourself lots of practice to get the hang of it.
Can use pump after a feed, for more stimulation, without expecting milk.

If you're lucky mum with lots of milk (oversupply), can always borrow hospital-grade pump from hospital.

- Kellymom.com is great
- i attended a prenatal class covering breastfeeding in detail, by lactation consultant (in KL though)
- I read Breastfeeding for Dummies
- watch youtube videos on getting PERFECT latch. Latching well is most important to ensure baby gets milk (satisfied baby) and prevent cracked nipples
- I engaged home-visit nurse to check my latch on day 3 and 5 post delivery, until milk came

One of my articles: Breastfeeding: Top 8 Mistakes to Avoid | Mummy's Reviews

All the best!

mummy jay

Prepare yourself memtally for it. It might not be as easy as it seems to be. It can also be very painful for the first 2 weeks. Whatever happens, hang in there and don't give up. See the hospital's lactation consultant as soon as possible after you deliver. She will probably be the best person to help you. :wong19:

gumbokins

I brought my own pump to the hospi but was told off by the nurse for using it because she said it might not be sterile etc then she got me the hospital pump and clean storage bottle. Managed to get err...10 ml? haha..

but yes, agree with everything that's been said, must endure, must persist, must resist, must turn a deaf ear to the comments that you might get from well-meaning but misinformed relatives who might say your milk not enough etc

kellymom was my best friend, i was constantly referring to it during my stay in the hospi (delivered via c-sect, so was warded for 4 days).

some gel pads to relieve swelling might be useful, as well.

Last edited:

wepo12

Thanks all for your wonderful comment .. I have just bought medela freestyle... now searching for the gel and the nipple cream that was suggested buy u all. I just want to get this riight you know... really want to breastfeed.. really really want.. but i nave no friends at all who breastfeed their babies.. Than you .. very helpful comment indeed.:Dancing_tongue:

Carlisle

The best way to do is to ask your doctor when you arrive at the hospital. :)

Mummy to Baby V

The best way to do is to ask your doctor when you arrive at the hospital. :)
Be prepared to face non-pro-breastfeeding doctors (ob-gyn, paed), nurses, etc in the hospital. It's most discouraging when these "professionals" discourage breastfeeding at the slightest obstacle. Seek out the lactation consultant and surround yourself with PRO-breastfeeding people and professionals where possible. All the best!

Fiona73

Ask for yr baby upon the arrival. Usually they will hand you yr baby for first feed. Jus latch on whenever you can. Dun worry about the supply, all newborn can goes without feed for the first few days. Therefore, the amount is not important. Juz like production line, beginning is always lot of doubts, problems etc. Juz remember to latch on, the more you latch on, the more training given to both mother and baby. It take about 3 month to stablised the supply, so dun expect to have huge amount to increase overnight, dun give unwanted stress to yourself. Like you, I determined to breastfeed exclusively for my no. 2. I do not have any formula in my house. I still breastfeeding my 9mo. All the best to you.

And don't forget to include in your birthplan that you want to breastfeed your baby so they can room in baby. Also, make sure you also include to have baby do the breastcrawl and/or to make him/her latch on to you as soon as you give birth to your baby.

wepo12

What about formula milk as supplement ...should i start buying .. i dunt .. want to think these non pro breastfeedin ppl tellng me that i know nuts about breastfeeding....

And the nursing bra.. Can you guys recommend me the good cheap bra in town ... I havent buy any .. as they said your breast will get bigger after birth issit true?

gumbokins

formula milk for supplement for baby or yourself?

It depends...some people feel more secure knowing that there is a back-up at home in case, but you might 'succumb' to temptation so some people make sure they have no formula or bottles at home, not until milk supply is established.

Another person to be wary of with regards to BFing is the confinement lady...

Yes boobs will go up a bit, because of milk but I prefer to use nursing tanks because it's great for nursing in the public. If you want cheap cheap for wearing at home type, Kiddy Palace has some. Can try Mothercare as well...I think they are still having sale now?

wepo12

Nursing tanks ?
I thought of just wearing sports bra.. or those pri 5 bra.. we use to wear last time..

Edwinie

actually if you are having one month confinement at home and not going out, any bra without wire will do. and t-shirt. no need nursing top.

i found some tops at bugis village which has the same cutting as nursing tops selling at $10. i thought it was a good find. lol! i love cheap stuff!

as for nursing bras, i find kiddy palace too expensive. you can get some through online blog stores at a very cheap price!

and u can get some nursing pads. if you don't mind washing, buy the non-disposable ones. i find it very useful and economical in the long run.

gumbokins

Edwinie, can recommend a good reusable nursing pad? I've been using Pigeon but sometimes forget to take them out from my bra and end up with gel bits all over my laundry -_-

Yah I think if you're a regular sized person, can get online :)

Edwinie

Edwinie, can recommend a good reusable nursing pad? I've been using Pigeon but sometimes forget to take them out from my bra and end up with gel bits all over my laundry -_-

Yah I think if you're a regular sized person, can get online :)
why your pigeon nursing pad has gel?

i tried avent and pigeon. i find avent more 'breathable' but pigeon more absorbable. but avent cannot take my heavy leakage! pigeon absorb more.

at the beginning when i leak a lot, i prefer pigeon. then at about 4-5 months when i don't leak so much, i prefer avent. i prefer the texture. hehe!

Edwinie

formula milk for supplement for baby or yourself?

It depends...some people feel more secure knowing that there is a back-up at home in case, but you might 'succumb' to temptation so some people make sure they have no formula or bottles at home, not until milk supply is established.

Another person to be wary of with regards to BFing is the confinement lady...

Yes boobs will go up a bit, because of milk but I prefer to use nursing tanks because it's great for nursing in the public. If you want cheap cheap for wearing at home type, Kiddy Palace has some. Can try Mothercare as well...I think they are still having sale now?
ya! unless u are sure and you tell your family members u really really want to breastfeed, they will always tempt you to let your baby drink formula. especially confinement nannies.. i heard 1 case where the mum was sleeping and the baby was crying, the confinement nanny simply feed her baby fm without asking her for permission!

i did supplement with fm. but i only use it when i really really very tired and stress and my baby is very very very stress to latch on. it's my last resort.. my hubby and mil supported me with breastfeeding so i don't really need to 'fight' with them not to use fm at all.

the nurses at TMC gave me some milk samples (in glass bottles which stores the milk to be fed to the babies in the hospital). it's chilled and you are suppose to heat it up in warm water. i used that initially. i think i got about 4 bottles. and i bought 1 small bottle of similac powder at end of week 1 because i really cannot take it.. after that i manage to pump and breastfeed exclusively. but yes, remember fm is last resort.

Last edited:

gumbokins

The disposable ones got the gel inside to absorb the milk >.<

Yah i also had standby FM at home..coz my baby had to stay overnight for phototheraphy and i asked to give FM.

I remember reading this mum saying how she imagined BFing woukd be very easy, that the milk would start flowing once you give birth...remember that it would take a few days for the milk to come in, so just keep latching!!