I Can Read

larkspur

Any mummies send your toddlers to I Can Read program? Currrently my girl is in GUG on the early reading and writing class but I am thinking of switching her to I Can Read. Any mummies have send your toddlers to GUG And I Can Read?

My gal is also attending GUG early reading and writing. There is not much of improvement after attending since Aug 08 till now. Has anyone tried Zoo Phonics? Any advise.

smintie16

Hi piggydwards,

My son is attending Zoo Phonics, I like their programme as it engages the children. My son loves his teacher so much and looking forward to attending her lesson on Sat.

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
My older boy (Seamus) just turned 2 this month & he has been attending GUG pre-school since Jan this year.

His twice-weekly classes only have about half an hour allocated to Zoo-Phonics ... taking that into consideration, I am pretty pleased with his progress:
1) he has mastered the association of the animals to all the alphabets
2) he has mastered the association of the actions to 2/3 of the alphabets
3) he has mastered the association of the phonics to 1/3 of the alphabets

To quicken his learning process, we've also purchased the Zoo-Phonics Basic Program (Home) ... now, one of the walls in my house is covered with the Zoo-Phonics cards.

In comparison, I have a niece who is 3 years older than Seamus ... her exposure to phonics was via her own kindergarten, where the approach was a totally "rote-learning" one.
I mean, the usual alphabet song gets sung via "air, bur, ke, dee, eh,..." instead of "A,B,C, D,E, ..."
In the end, my sis had to bring her to "I Can Read" before she made progress in her ability to pronounce new words, as well as read passages fluently.

IMHO, are you mummies too eager to see results?
Give your child a little more time to digest the benefits of Zoo-Phonics.
But if you are very sure your child has reached a saturation point with Zoo-Phonics, then considering "I Can Read" as an alternative is not a bad idea too.
:biggrin: :biggrin:

hi mommy, may know in what age you send yr girl/boy to GUG on the early reading and writing class ?
when i called the center said, requirement must at least for 3,5yrs kids.

is there any worksheet after the class ? do we need to pay for material cost too ?

thanks in advance for any reply.

yvonnemommy

My daughter is learning to read on computer. Pretty fun and she learns quickly. I registered a reading pro on beestar, a lovely website offering grade exercises for kids. The worksheets are full of interesting stories and cute pictures. Every worksheet includes 10 questions and is timed. This is challenging for her. There are many kid uing beestar, so I can find out where dear daughter has been. It helps a lot.:001_302:
Lisa

jazzle

My daughter has started on Kumon at Bedok
Reservoir recently and has shown great progress. The short ten minutes daily study helps. And at $120 per month it is the cheapest yet extremely effective program around. My child attends class twice a week for about 40 minutes. The instructor at the centre is an ex teacher. She is patient and has a way with the preschoolers. I attended the free diagnostic test prior to signing up.

Justina

Some kids are really genius - being able to read at such tender age. i just chance upon two bright kids whom, after taking the Children Learning Reading program are able to read. A 2 years and 9 months boy can read simple sentences and a 3+ year old girl can read a story book fluently!. Amazing!

Ekari

Hmm, so sending them to this kind of program means no child care or do you mummies out there send your child to both? I am not very familiar with the program itself though ..

Justina

hi ekari, the program mention is actually bought and downloaded online. imagine an ebook with step-by-step instruction to guide you on how to get your child familiarize with phonics and reading. it's suitable for any kids who can speak but haven't pickup reading, whether attending childcare or preschool.

:Dancing_tongue:Stand a chance to WIN A FREE TRIAL to our Reading Eggs programme and POPULAR Bookstore vouchers!
:Dancing_wub:10 SLOTS ARE UP FOR GRABS!!!

1. All you need to do is LIKE US at our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/givingtre3.
2. We have posted our promo poster on our facebook page so SHARE that photo on your facebook page.
3. TAG yourself on the photo.
4. Leave a COMMENT and let us know how you teach reading to your child.

Simple as that! What are you waiting for?? Go to www.facebook.com/givingtre3 now!!!

cookie77

Most programs are the same... what makes a difference is parental involvement. Don't completely outsource your role as a parent in teaching your kids.