I Was Retrenched At 26 Years Old And I Have No Savings

I am a 26 year old female and was retrenched in November 2020. It was an immediate termination. I was then an office manager/executive assistant earning $3,800 a month.

You think retrenchment only happens to people in their mid-40s and 50s, right? You’re wrong. I was let go three months into my new job in 2020, after being unemployed for almost a year. As of today, I have a grand total of $0 in my bank account, and this is how I’m coping.

Job hunting in during the COVID-19 pandemic was extremely tough

Before I get to my retrenchment, here’s a little backstory: I resigned from my previous full-time job in December 2019 to travel. I managed to tour Spain for the whole of January 2020, but COVID-19 happened and I had to cut my plans short.

Once I was back in Singapore, I knew I had to secure a job. I sent out hundreds of applications, but only heard back from two companies.

One offered me a position, but the pay was so low that I rejected it. I understand that it is natural for unemployed folks desperate for income to just grab any opportunity and accept the first job that comes their way. But I believe that doing such a thing will result in you bouncing from one demoralising, short-lived job after another.

Fortunately, an interview with another company (let’s call it Company A) in February had some progress. It wasn’t easy getting this job as I had to go through a total of five interviews.

Soon after, I finally signed a contract with them, securing a role as an office manager/executive assistant.

Unfortunately, I was slated to start only in September as that was when my role required me to be physically present in the office.

That meant I’m still jobless until September, so I had to find a way to supplement my income during this period.

More at https://tinyurl.com/68tntrwk