If born with weight 2.5kg, @37 weeks - need to stay in ICU?

blackpiggy

Does anyone know from what weight onwards that there is no need to stay in ICU?

37 weeks is already considered full term, i have yet to give birth but i wonder...
currently scan shows that my bb is only 2.4kg in the tummy now, i wonder if at this moment, i give birth, does my bb need to stay in ICU?

comments?
As long as baby is above 2.1kg and well, he/she does not need to stay in the NICU. When I was doing my 36week scan bb is only 1.9+kg, but I had to induce him out in my 37week as my amniotic fluid is low. Turns out he is 2.95kg when he's born. So not to worry, baby grows fast in the last few weeks of pregnancy and also the scan is not 100% accurate, just an estimation. :)

bunnybaby

Hi all, just an update. Remember sometime ago I was so worried that my boy being an IUGR baby ? He was born early November 2011, induced at 37 weeks +. Estimated to be 2.35kg and he was born 2.55kg. Tiny baby but now after 2 months , he's a smartie boy who had doubled his birth weight by month 2. Some babies just prefer to absorb nutrients from their own little mouths instead of our placentas. So mummies who are facing the same issue as mine previously, be optimistic and enjoy your pregnancy! :)

Last edited:

bunnybaby

Is it usually the case that prematures have some form of health problems in the future?
Iugr n premature are 2 different conditions. If 37 weeks, not really considered premature. As long as baby is underweight, tend to have more issues than normal babies but not always of course. But prematurity may pose more health problems than a full term baby who's slightly underweight like some of ours here.. You may want to find out more from your gynae

sorsor

I think it should be alright . If once bb is born n had no difficulty breathing should not required nicu . I also had IUGR n delivered at 36 weeks n had a 2.2 kg bb who went Hme together with me .Dun worry your bb will be fine . Remember to sleep on your sides to hav better bld flow to bb . Good luck !

paul

I think no need.

Cos i c-section due to placenta low. I give birth my boy on week 36+, 1 more day to 37 weeks and my boy is 3.115kg.

But he need to stayed in NICU due to the water go into his lung. He staying inide for 2 days.

So dun worry so much, normal birth no this issue.
I am currently ard wk 31. I have a bit of spotting due to low placenta. Did u encounter such issue ? worried on premature issue also ... as the cost of ICU is high and also the health complication. Glad to hear most bb are healthy ...

Ekari

I think it should be alright . If once bb is born n had no difficulty breathing should not required nicu . I also had IUGR n delivered at 36 weeks n had a 2.2 kg bb who went Hme together with me .Dun worry your bb will be fine . Remember to sleep on your sides to hav better bld flow to bb . Good luck !
It is stated that an average healthy newborn child is around 6-9lbs. Thats 2.7kg. But I am not sure whether they are saying in general or just the westerners. With us Asian having smaller body and stuff, probably a baby with less than 2kg will need monitoring in ICU. So I think your baby is fine! Good luck with the delivery ~

Gem2505

it will be ok ladies. i gave birth to my girl 16 months back. she was 36w5d then. c section. she weigh 2010g only! at discharge on the 4th day, she is 1.9kg. she is able to go home with me. so.. weight doesnt matter. as long as the doc find your baby normal and able to pee/poo/drink, they will let bb go home.

My boy was oso diagnosed as growth restricted. I was induced at 37 wks+. Baby weighs 2.36kg. He stayed an additional day in hospital cos of jaundice. He is now 14 mths+. Although still abit small at 9.4kg but slowly catching up.

kaymummy

My baby was born 35 weeks and 2.38kg. When he was discharged, he is only 2.2kg. No need to stay in icu. I think below 2kg then need to stay. Now he's eight months and almost 10kg.

Amy Gan

hello mummies, i would like to encourage all of you ~ i'm also worried about my baby and how this whole pregnancy that i'm in will turn out. i'm also afraid that my child will be a premature baby. i read a couple of articles online and feel that as a first time mother, a lot of thoughts will run through our heads. then i came across this article that Jamie Yeo shared about her pregnancy and had 2 premature babies, but in the end it was all okay and that was more than 10 years ago

given that the technology is so advanced, i believe our deliveries will be smooth and our babies will be healthy!