ikea recalls high chair

uddermummy

IKEA recalls LEOPARD Children’s High Chair
IKEA wants customers who have a LEOPARD children’s high chair to stop using the high chair immediately and bring the seat and frame back to the Exchange & Returns Counter in IKEA Alexandra (Level 1) or IKEA Tampines (Level 3) where they will receive a full refund.

Snap locks that secure the seat to the frame can break, making it possible for the seat to drop through the frame. Children can suffer injury to the head and other parts of the body from falls. Detached snap locks pose a choking hazard to children.

IKEA has received eleven reports of broken snap locks, including one incident where the seat with child dropped through the frame. The child suffered bruised legs. In a second incident a detached snap lock was found in a child’s mouth but was removed before choking occurred.

No other incidents or injuries have been reported.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

For more information, please contact IKEA at 6786 6868.

IKEA | IKEA product safety information

Mummy to Baby V

It is sad to know that consumer products aren't thoroughly tested for safety before being launched. Why must injuries, illnesses or even loss of lives occur before the products are taken off the shelves?

Reminds me of the tainted milk powder incident...

PinkDiamonds

Think the $25 high chairs still better as it's been around for years with no complains.

Sometimes I think it's not that they never do proper safety checks. In the factory, they will only use machines or robots to test if the product can handle the weight of the child or wear & tear. But if u put a real child in, who will wriggle, try to climb, even bounce on the seat, then you will see the real durability test of the product.

Even for the Maclaren. The opening & shutting mechanisms work and the pram was tested durable and safe for babies/children in the factory. But only when brought out into the real world then parents realize that fingers can be amputated if the child puts the fingers there.

So there.

Heng I never buy this chair! LOL

Mummy to Baby V

As a parent, I think that manufacturers should observe real children using their prototypes before going ahead with mass production. There is too much at stake here.