'I'll die of pain without an epidural'

Dragontail

My sis had her two pregnancies natural w/o epi too. And two of the kids weighed heavier than average. She said all women can bear the pain one... mind over matter. But she was in her mid 20s back then. At my age, I'm not too sure! I will hear what the gynae advice me when I'm at my later stage I guess.

felicity

I'm planning to go natural without epi.. A few of my colleagues did it n last time my mum too.. So I believe I can too!! :)

Oh I know in TMC only one delivery suite w water tub available n usage of it will cost over $200? I've read abt water birth online n it seems to therapeutic!
I did it without epidural! I must say its really pain until I was gg mad, but I'm glad I managed with gas only. Bb was 3.36kg :)

joy33

Hi, those mummies that did not take the epidural, did your doc still carry out an episiotomy? heard that they do it here even if you are fully dilated.

mei2009

I asked my doc before - if I don't take epidural, how? He said he would put a local anaesthetic before cutting. A friend told me that you wouldn't feel the cut as the delivery pain is greater! But I guess the pain relief is for after baby is out.. Btw fully dilated doesn't mean you won't tear as it refers to the cervix, not vagina.

joy33

Thanks mei. Didn't want to continue reading about it online as i started freaking out seeing pictures and all.

lasery2k

usually the doc will give a local anaesthetic at the leg area be4 they cut...this will numb off the pain if really require to cut..for my case..i was on epidural as i cannot take the pain...even breathe in breathe out..hold the breathe to tahan the pain..not even the laughing gas..the nurse keep asking mi to inhale inhale..ma chiam nth goes in..ended up i tahan 1 hr until filled with cold sweat and white face n finally i ask for epidural le..

it really depends on your pain trusthold..if your hold is nt good it will also affect the dilation as the more stress u feel, the more u will contract the muscles...as a normal human being will squeeze the muscle tgt to control the pain...

just to note epidural gt side effects...vomiting, uncontrollable trembling, giddy, fever...i only got trembling n slight fever...comparing to the 1 hr of contraction..the 1 hr of trembling n fever is nothing i personally think.

Haha! I thought I will die without epidural too. But I survived.

Am not too sure whether they give a jab before cutting. Apparently, mine was given just before my gynae wanna do the sitching. The jab was given on our delicate area of our private. I still remembered my gynae jabbed 5 times at different area. The needle is pretty thick and quite painful. I feel is about 2 times the pain of the drip.

msck

Hey mummies, just to share w u guys my experience.

I have very low tolerant for pain. Each cramp can kill kind. Anyway, i tried tt laughing gas mask but it has zero effect on me other than making me giddy. So aftet 1 hour, i opted for epidural.

Very effective. Effectivr until i cant really feel my contraction.

And as a result, i din really have the feeling tt she's kicking n urge to push bb out.. After 10 hours of epidural, dilation only 5cm. Mom told me to push randomly then cos bb becoming inactive n i wasnt helping in dilation. So i just pushed randomly n really dilation increased in 3 hours.

All in all, i used 2 bags of epiderals in 14 hours. Bb was born blue as she stayed inside too long. Thank god she cried after 1-2 min.

N the after effect was crap. Vomit, tremble n sweat like soaking wet.

Jenny Chia

Hey mummies, just to share w u guys my experience.

I have very low tolerant for pain. Each cramp can kill kind. Anyway, i tried tt laughing gas mask but it has zero effect on me other than making me giddy. So aftet 1 hour, i opted for epidural.

Very effective. Effectivr until i cant really feel my contraction.

And as a result, i din really have the feeling tt she's kicking n urge to push bb out.. After 10 hours of epidural, dilation only 5cm. Mom told me to push randomly then cos bb becoming inactive n i wasnt helping in dilation. So i just pushed randomly n really dilation increased in 3 hours.

All in all, i used 2 bags of epiderals in 14 hours. Bb was born blue as she stayed inside too long. Thank god she cried after 1-2 min.

N the after effect was crap. Vomit, tremble n sweat like soaking wet.
Hi,

My threshold of pain is very lousy, so will opt for epi, but can you share with us whether the epidural injection is painful also? As the doctor will poke the needle into the spine, sounds very scary....

Thank you!

reiann

Hi Jenny Chia,

YES the injection for epidural is also very, very painful.

I actually thought I could try vaginal delivery without epi, but I was hardly dilated (still at 1cm) after 12 hours since my water broke! cramps were starting to get really intolerable, and when I found out I was hardly dilated, I was not going to be stupid and asked for epi.

now, NOBODY said anything about epidurlal pain!?! everybody just marvels at how epi kills the cramping/dilation pain, but nobody said anything about the injection istelf!! and look, I'm VERY good with injections. like, jabs for vaccinations, or for blood withdrawal, or for donation, I'm soooo good with it. but this epidural injection was a killer. I really, really almost died. I was crying.. :( :(

but once epi was in, I hardly felt anything. but it wasn't pleasant either cos I was numb, culdn't move my legs.. very tired, nauseous, and I threw up during the last pushing of baby, and even after the baby was out. threw and threw up :(

msck

Hey jenny, for me the injection was ok. I think realky depend on the anesthetic person. Cos it was just one jab pain. Very fast gone alr.

I think the most painful part was when the doc checked for dilation. It's like omg. They just stuck the fingers in to estimate. Really almost faint.

reiann

Msck: hm I think this just shows that diff people have diff threshold for diff pain. The checking of dilation was nothing. I could tolerate that w no problems. The epi injection was v quick too but the anesthesia for the epi itself was unbearable to me. Maybe cos I have a spine issue. Don't like people touching my spine so epi was the worst fear of mine!!

mei2009

I guess it also depends on the doctor administering the epidural. I felt no pain, just the uncomfy feeling of the needle *shudders*

As for side effects, they vary from person to person. My doctor explained everything to me after he put in the epidural. In the end, all I had was a trembling leg - just one leg kept trembling!

Mreow Mreow

Hey jenny, for me the injection was ok. I think realky depend on the anesthetic person. Cos it was just one jab pain. Very fast gone alr.

I think the most painful part was when the doc checked for dilation. It's like omg. They just stuck the fingers in to estimate. Really almost faint.

Actually im not looking forward to that too....
Does it hurt the same for you during your gynae checks in the weeks before your labour itself?

bellaisa

I guess it also depends on the doctor administering the epidural. I felt no pain, just the uncomfy feeling of the needle *shudders*

As for side effects, they vary from person to person. My doctor explained everything to me after he put in the epidural. In the end, all I had was a trembling leg - just one leg kept trembling!
Agree! felt the same too!

msck

I think because i was having contraction etc. Then the doc check for dilation n they kept telling me to relax. My vagina too tight etc. Omg. When my hubby saw it, he was shocked too. Lol.