'I'll die of pain without an epidural'

roudx

I guess when I'm giving birth, I will also tahan till cannot tahan then jab epi.. Hopefully can tahan until give birth ..
My friend just gave birth yesterday, she tahan for a few hours, then decided to jab epi... Then shiok-ness..
But after that she vomited also. Like so xin ku... So i am having 2nd thoughts about epi T____T

Judith

I guess when I'm giving birth, I will also tahan till cannot tahan then jab epi.. Hopefully can tahan until give birth ..
My friend just gave birth yesterday, she tahan for a few hours, then decided to jab epi... Then shiok-ness..
But after that she vomited also. Like so xin ku... So i am having 2nd thoughts about epi T____T
Haha! The vomiting was terrible. But nurses said if want, better tale early. If not when contraction strong move here move there difficult to jab. :/ And will take up a lot of energy when trying to tahan the pain. :/

mei2009

I didn't want epidural at first. Then my back started hurting. That was my first time so I had no idea if contractions pain = back pain. But anyway, it was bad. When the nurse asked me if I wanted epidural, I didn't even hesitate! So much for telling everyone I was trying to go without epidural!!!

The administration was forgettable - good! The only side effect I had was a shaking leg. Everyone is different. The nurses reduced the dosage so that I could feel some contraction and my baby slide out. Now I'm totally for epidural. I had a wonderful birth experience minus the pain. I had the mind and was very relaxed to enjoy the birth of my son. And as my gynae put it, it's more civilised haha!

Judith

I didn't want epidural at first. Then my back started hurting. That was my first time so I had no idea if contractions pain = back pain. But anyway, it was bad. When the nurse asked me if I wanted epidural, I didn't even hesitate! So much for telling everyone I was trying to go without epidural!!!

The administration was forgettable - good! The only side effect I had was a shaking leg. Everyone is different. The nurses reduced the dosage so that I could feel some contraction and my baby slide out. Now I'm totally for epidural. I had a wonderful birth experience minus the pain. I had the mind and was very relaxed to enjoy the birth of my son. And as my gynae put it, it's more civilised haha!
Yup! The back pain was terrible! Gonna opt for epidural right away for my next. :$

cookie77

make sure you have an experienced anesthetist for the epidural. my second one was done by a doctor who struggled to find the right spot... I suffered back pain for months around the spot where the epidural was administered. so thereafter for my third delivery, i asked my gynae to recommend the most experienced with strong positive feedback from patients. it was much better!

lexar

There are situations where epidural is really needed - labor is long, very painful, not progressing, mother getting exhausted. But it shouldn't be used routinely as there are many side effects and after effects to consider. We can all survive some pain for some time, our bodies are made for it. It is good to do some preparation though, both physical and mental. Every birth is different, you can never be sure how it will go. It is good to prepare by doing daily exercises for optimum baby positioning. Also practice relaxation techniques such as hypnobirthing to let go of your fears. Fear can be the main block for good labor and don't expect the epidural to take care of it :)

Hope this helps! Best of luck :)

Hi.. Can the ladies who delivered without epidural share their experience? Will gas suffice? I've had people telling me that the pain is excruciating without epidural.. I'm a little scared as I'm thinking of just going on gas..
Hi LittleMiss, if this is your first child, perhaps listen to the positive birth stories if you wish for one. I had my 2nd son without pain relief medication. Relaxation technique I learnt from HypnoBirthing and water are my solution to pain. It fact, it is the Fear that causes pain. You can choose to prepare yourself to birth with confidence now.

Haha! The vomiting was terrible. But nurses said if want, better tale early. If not when contraction strong move here move there difficult to jab. :/ And will take up a lot of energy when trying to tahan the pain. :/
If we all can put our focus on finding ways to relax, then the pain will not be an issue. It is no longer about tahan the pain but relax throughout birth and baby will be born alert. I was so determined not to have drugs and can harm myself and my son. I was glad I stayed focus and had a wonderful birth experience with my 2nd. Good luck ladies!

my husband told me on my 3rd pregnancy that i should skip the epidural i need to experience the real labour pain to be a better mother, so i told him that he should give birth in my place instead. he kept quiet.
Haha, I don't buy the idea that women must endure the pain just to be a better mother.
Birth doesn't have to be painful. Pain and pleasure is a fine line. You can choose if you know how. Youtube has lots of orgasmic birth video. They are wonderful.

Hikari

Hi ladies! I delivered my first child-a son via natural birth w/out epidural..doctor also didnt inject me with anesthecia when stictching me up..almost died from the pain! I was adamant about not taking epidural as much as I could, partly cos I dint know it would be so much pain as a FTM and I thought my labour process as I had to induce, would be short. Who's to know I tahan from 6pm till 8am the next day before my son choose to come out. *faints

I took the laughing gas & a jab (pain relief) was given on my thigh. It totally works for me too.
However a jab will be given to your new born for 'reversal of the effect' of the pain relief jab on your thigh.
I have never heard of a jab given to newborn baby to reverse the effect of the pain relief drugs given to you. Do you know the name? Which hospital was that?

elfverie

The moment I know I was pregnant, I told ny doctor im going fot epidural! Ad they said, all plans usually dun go as planned! By the time I asked for epidural, I was already 7cm dilated. Before the put the olug in my hanc, I was 9cm dilated. Epidural needs 1hr to talk effect so in the end, after thinking for a min in the midst of contractions, i decided not to go for it.

Pushed for an hr, doc did epitomey upon birthing, jab three times at the virginal for snitching, felt the snitch, out of labour.

Dunno if i am able to do it again. I told husband, no more!! Hahaha.:D

plushhome

have a talk with those with (few) experiences will definitely help to reduce the fear.
there is so many mums here, ask them out for a sharing session :)

jackygogo

to each her own experience... our gynae told us that angmo women in Spain or Italy, use large bottles and olive oil and insert it in their vagina to enlarge it and make it more elastic... then birth is easier... imagina a bottle of wine in your vagina ....!!!!????

MommyLiz

Talking about this, I suddenly reminiscise my 1st labour experience. I had inform my gynae that Im going natural. The midwife actually laughed at me but I just stick to what I want. I was relying on laughing gas from 9am till 11am...after which I asked for pain relief which is Pethidine. It was injected around my thigh.....I was dozing off actually but lucky my hubby always shook me and told me to keep on trying. around 1pm I couldnt take it anymore so I told my hub let's ask for epi. Nurse was like u want epi??? Alamak.....i can see the head la....too late. I was like...why dont u tell me earlier?!!! LOL.

So she advise to push. I did push and then it was a great relief after my baby came out. But it was a big cut. I was too tired to notice everything around me as I know there's like 4 or more people around me...I think they did a jab near my pelvic area. I just feel a sharp pain. My hub told me it was a huge cut that my gynae used 2 of a hook like thingy to sew me up. At that moment, I just cant be bothered and just rest and feel my baby on my chest.

After 2 hours, I was told to urine by the nurse and thank God I managed to pee but a lil bit of burning sensation.

But now with my 2nd baby, I am worried that I dont have the energy to push and dont wish to do a C-sect or even take epi. I hope I can just go natural again.

I totally agree with going with whatever makes you most comfortable. Drugs or no drugs. Personally, I'm one of those who can't imagine giving birth without epidural. Read more of my birth story here. Flashback Friday: Lauren, This Is Your Birth Story ~ The Chill Mom
Hi LaraCroft, I had with my first birth and my second birth is totally naturally without epidural. I would say, learn to relax, let your body do all the work without resisting it. It all worth the effort because my boy is born without being drugged. Hence, less jaundice. Birth does not always comes with pain. It's the fear and tension that causes pain. Here is my Childbirth Story. A total empowered experience from preconception to birth.
Natural Childbirth

Talking about this, I suddenly reminiscise my 1st labour experience. I had inform my gynae that Im going natural. The midwife actually laughed at me but I just stick to what I want. I was relying on laughing gas from 9am till 11am...after which I asked for pain relief which is Pethidine. It was injected around my thigh.....I was dozing off actually but lucky my hubby always shook me and told me to keep on trying. around 1pm I couldnt take it anymore so I told my hub let's ask for epi. Nurse was like u want epi??? Alamak.....i can see the head la....too late. I was like...why dont u tell me earlier?!!! LOL.

So she advise to push. I did push and then it was a great relief after my baby came out. But it was a big cut. I was too tired to notice everything around me as I know there's like 4 or more people around me...I think they did a jab near my pelvic area. I just feel a sharp pain. My hub told me it was a huge cut that my gynae used 2 of a hook like thingy to sew me up. At that moment, I just cant be bothered and just rest and feel my baby on my chest.

After 2 hours, I was told to urine by the nurse and thank God I managed to pee but a lil bit of burning sensation.

But now with my 2nd baby, I am worried that I dont have the energy to push and dont wish to do a C-sect or even take epi. I hope I can just go natural again.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am sure can. Your body has the memory since you birth your 2nd one natural as well. Have faith in yourself. Do what you can to prepare for your upcoming birth.
All the best to you.