I'm grateful for all the camps, OBS experience, and outdoor CCA activities that have shaped me over the years

From my personal experiences, high-risk activities can an amazing platform for practicing (and learning to exercise) ownership / responsibility, independence, mindfulness, risk-conscious decision-making and courage in the face of discomfort. These activities tend to be physical in nature, and as such, the manifestation of aforementioned qualities in our action becomes more salient and immediate, compared to other pursuits that span over a longer time period.

Let me attempt to contextualise my opinion. When I think of high-risk activities, I imagine kayaking around Pulau Ubin, or rock climbing at dairy farm (as opposed to indoor climbing where most of your risk has already been externalised and borne by the vendor). I also think of expedition climbing (something that has been on my mind for a while), and of course, OBS / the high element activities that appear often in school camps apply as well. These activities are common in that they _expose_ the individual to danger (both real and apparent), and hence establishes a challenge for the individual to overcome. One is often rewarded with a deep sense of satisfaction when they successfully overcome the challenge by practicing any of the aforementioned qualities, and this in turn reinforces good qualities in that person by associating them with reward. I struggle to think of other activities that serve as such an effective "shortcut" for character building.

But there are two important caveats. Firstly, if the individual is already resistant to taking up the challenge, being forced to go through the activity would likely not benefit him/her. This is obvious given that the individual will most likely approach the experience with either of dread or unregulated fear and panic, instead of the intended qualities. A quote comes to mind and tangentially applies here: "you cannot coach desire." Likewise, you can't make a person take up a challenge that he/she is actively running away from. You will only be traumatising them.

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2021/02/im-grateful-for-all-camps-obs.html