I'm tired of Feeding!!!

november

Dear baby is now 25 weeks. Started him solid at 6 months exact.

given: brown rice cereal, fresh mashed avocado and steamed egg yolk w milk.

I'm feeling really tired at feeding time, cuz baby will fuss and cry. He doesn't really know how to swallow and i guess he's hungry, so he got fustrated. But when he goes fussing around, i get fustrated too and just throw the job to my maid. Sometimes the maid not free, i just give up feeding and offer him milk instead.

Before 6 months old, i was so excited about feeding, but bowls, buy spoon, find recipe. Now I'm really disappointed.

I'm feeling lousy about this feeding thingy!

jojoki

hey relax mommy... bb will take time to accustom to eating solid.. sometimes dey only take two tsp.. slowly introduce dun expect him to whack the whole bowl of puree/porridge... its new to them .. taste/texture... also milk offers instant gratification.. gulp gulp gulp..full liao where as solid takes longer to fill his hungry tummy.

Try giving him some milk first, then give him a few teaspoon of solid just to introduce solid n not replace a meal. N dun attempt to give him solid whn hes already hungry.. babies cant wait. So giv him when hes not hungry n in good mood. slowly they increase the feeds, find out wat he likes to eat.. thn u can start replacing milk meals

I only INTRO at 7 mths.. now am starting to replace meals.. btw avocado alone is quite disgusting to eat.. (sorry i tried two tsp of my bb avo puree n made me puke) so try steam some apples puree it n mix with the avocado n add more water. i did dat n my bb start liking it.

gambate!

littlehelper

Don't be stressed about it.If baby is not ready can wait.
Mayb you can try giving him like really tiny piece of bread once a day.(Just one piece)
Then start him with little bit of very very soft porraidge followed by his usual milk intake.
He needs to get used to the swallowing part.
Try feeding him on time if possible too so he won't be over hungry.

apollo

november mummy, never feed a baby solid food when he is too HUNGRY..

for example, ds feeding interval is evry 3hrs. i gave him milk at 11am so when i give him cereal, i will NOT give him at 2pm. instead, i start giving him at 1.15 or 1.30pm... so he will be hungry for the solid food but not too hungry. cos if they r too hungry, they will feel v frustrated as eating by spoon is still very new to them...

that is my personal experience as i once fed ds at 3hrs later aft milk and he cried v badly so i gonna give him milk instead. and the above info are extract by book too..

hope it helps =)

and pls dont give up and give milk instead cos ur baby HAS to learn hw to be fed by spoon sooner or later.

mayb u shd just let him get use to the cereal 1st b4 intro him other food?

Last edited:

isabelandrew

Dear baby is now 25 weeks. Started him solid at 6 months exact.

given: brown rice cereal, fresh mashed avocado and steamed egg yolk w milk.

I'm feeling really tired at feeding time, cuz baby will fuss and cry. He doesn't really know how to swallow and i guess he's hungry, so he got fustrated. But when he goes fussing around, i get fustrated too and just throw the job to my maid. Sometimes the maid not free, i just give up feeding and offer him milk instead.

Before 6 months old, i was so excited about feeding, but bowls, buy spoon, find recipe. Now I'm really disappointed.

I'm feeling lousy about this feeding thingy!
Hi, Relax :) There is no need to get stress. I think you gave yourself too much pressure.

I learnt that you don't need to follow strictly to start solid at 6th month.. or change from infant to follow up formula milk. (My PD told me infant formula can be consumed up till 12 months)

Feed your baby during the time he is calm. For me, my baby is calm and happy at noon. To feed her solid in the morning is a suicide. Although many babies ate many varieties already, Im happy to be slightly slower but happier.

I started brown rice cereal, just a few spoons for her to taste and how to swallow. I continue to offer her milk - BM and FM. Btw I only started when she was 6 months +.

Only one meal a day for until 1 month. In the mean time, I increased the qty of the cereal to one bowl. Then I introduced her different cereal - Oatmeal, Barley. She got constipated taking Barley cereal. So I stopped solids immediately for a week until she is okay.

Then I made puree - Japanese sweet potato, pumpkin, carrots. One vegetables at one time. Each vegetable - for about 2 weeks.

When she is too hungry or not keen, I eat the puree or cereal myself :) Continue to offer her , her favourite milk.

So, I learn to enjoy watching her eat :) especially the puree I specially made for her.

Hope you find my experience helpful

Cheerios

Domique

november mummy... i understand your frustration...

with all the excitement then now turned to be all disappointment and anger.

Maybe you wish to just feed cereal... do not introduce too many things yet. hold our excitement first.
Let him get used to one type of food... he needs to first get used to "eating + tasting" instead of just sucking.
It may be too overwhelming for him while we felt that he should be eating already by 6 mths.

I fed Alaric with cereal for many days and I also gave up and felt he wasn't ready yet. Go with ur instinct. If he is not ready, put off for a week. Fix our emotions too... then start again..... .

PS. I very so fed up that i scolded Alaric when i just started him on semi solids. Dun be like me... :p

Domique

Alaric hates avocado....

hey relax mommy... baby will take time to accustom to eating solid.. sometimes dey only take two tsp.. slowly introduce dont expect him to whack the whole bowl of puree/porridge... its new to them .. taste/texture... also milk offers instant gratification.. gulp gulp gulp..full where as solid takes longer to fill his hungry tummy.

Try giving him some milk first, then give him a few teaspoon of solid just to introduce solid n not replace a meal. N dont attempt to give him solid whn hes already hungry.. babies cant wait. So give him when hes not hungry n in good mood. slowly they increase the feeds, find out what he likes to eat.. thn you can start replacing milk meals

I only INTRO at 7 mths.. now am starting to replace meals.. btw avocado alone is quite disgusting to eat.. (sorry i tried two tsp of my baby avo puree n made me puke) so try steam some apples puree it n mix with the avocado n add more water. i did dat n my baby start liking it.

gambate!

jojoki

Alaric hates avocado....
but avocado v good food fr baby.. u may wanna try this

half avocado.. ripe but dun cook
one small red apple. peel, cut into pieces steam until tender
place avocado n apples into blender add around 4 oz of cool boiled water n blend very very well. i did this way n netanya started taking it.

Ottermum

I always feed Yuzhe after he's awake from his nap...around noon...

last time whenever i feed him he also got cranky n fussed like hell...then i realised he's tired...didn't want to eat...

maybe you can try Friso rice cereal? it's good n tasty.

november

Thanks all mummies.

I know i just need to be patient and Anyway, i just need a place to " throw my temper "

Thanks all, once again. Feeling much better now.

Yup, guess i'll continue with the brown rice cereal slowly and surely he'll learn to accept other food. I'm too excited to intro him new taste and food le, cuz i'm someone who eats anything but hubby is extreme picky. So i was just afraid he'll take over hubby's bad ways.

Hahaha..anyway, feeling better le.

Thanks jojoki, will mix avocado w appple the next round. Any other nice recipes?

apollo

november mummy... i understand your frustration...

with all the excitement then now turned to be all disappointment and anger.

Maybe you wish to just feed cereal... do not introduce too many things yet. hold our excitement first.
Let him get used to one type of food... he needs to first get used to "eating + tasting" instead of just sucking.
It may be too overwhelming for him while we felt that he should be eating already by 6 mths.

I fed Alaric with cereal for many days and I also gave up and felt he wasn't ready yet. Go with your instinct. If he is not ready, put off for a week. Fix our emotions too... then start again..... .

PS. I very so fed up that i scolded Alaric when i just started him on semi solids. dont be like me... :p
yup too tired also will! this aftnoon ds super tired but i still 'force' him eat.. feel so bad aft tt.. haha

jojoki

i giv her

1.japanese pumkin puree (1 small slice) just steam until tender, add water n blend
2.Carrot and potato (the small spuds) same procedure as above
3.Steam egg yolk, (1 egg yolk add around 2oz water, whisk n steam) sometimes i add some pumpkin puree n then mix it ( looks like mapor tofu)
4.Banana- scrape scrape the banana giv
5.Vege puree/ spinach or brocolli... (shes not big fan of vege puree so normally i add these puree into her cereal/ porridge

Hav u tried happy bellies brown rice cereal? netanya loves it.. its got nice smooth texture n has nice sweetness to it..

uddermummy

november, sometimes the food may be too thick and sticky for bb to swallow. For first few meals, the consistency should be v similar to milk, and shouldn't be too thick.

Gradually thicken the consistency of the food when your bb is more mature.

At first, I thought that dd didn't like avocado cos she would choke and gag when i offered it to her.

then i realised that the avocado was too sticky and not runny enough for her to swallow! :p

try the sweeter vegetables first? puree them and cook with the rice cereal - sweet potato, pumpkin, sweet peas, carrots. can mix in some spinach or brocoli for the extra fibre. and also milk (if EBM, add towards the end of the cooking). babies generally prefer sweeter stuff. avocado is great food. i used that too but will mix with some sweeter veg since it tastes more nutty than sweet by itself.

my son used to shudder when he takes the first few spoonfuls - quite funny to watch - and wasn't big on his cereal. so only give about half bowl just to get him used to taking semi-solids. after a while, children will need those extra calories, especially when they start crawling and cruising. my son is a big eater now - two big bowls of porridge each time :001_302:

can also offer some fruit in between meals - papayas, bananas and pears are great to start with. just mash them up well since your baby is so small.

there's heinz teething rusk - no flavour. but made of wheat flour so try out a bit to see if your baby is allergic. they will suck and suck on it so gets a bit messy. about 8-9months, can try gerber's graduate puffs. about 10-11months - when graduate puffs disappear in the mouth too quickly! - can try healthy times teddy puffs which take more time to process and dissolve in the mouth ;) bread is great too

apollo

when can start giving spinach?? make it as puree too?? spinach can make into puree and freeze in the freezer lik the others??

jojoki

when can start giving spinach?? make it as puree too?? spinach can make into puree and freeze in the freezer lik the others??
i started givin spinach at 7 mths.. can puree just steam the leaves n blend wth some water.. but i dun freeze puree. i just make enuf for two servings.. fr one day. ;p