Infant Care yes / no? Anyone knows about LSH By-the-Vista?

chengtng

Hi All,

I will be returning to work after my ML in Nov, and we are looking for infant care facilities near the Dover / Buona Vista / Holland area. A maid is out of the question has it is very hard to trust a stranger to look after your precious little one... Do children who are sent to infant care develop slower than children who are taken care of by their own parents or grandparents? I'm truly concerned as I'm worried that the infant care teachers would not put in any effort at all to help a child (especially a quiet child). Any thoughts on this?

We've shopped around the area, and found only 3 IFCs. My First Skool is completely full, and we weren't too impressed by the infant care at One-North, so we were thinking of LSH By-the-Vista (also because we dont't know of any infant care facility which is nearby). Just wondering whether anyone has any thoughts to share? My principal concerns are as follows:-

- Any idea about the hygiene standards of LSH BTV? (I am concerned because I've exhausted ALL my annual leave for this year to spend as much time with my child as possible post delivery, so I'm not sure how I would be able to care for my little one if he falls sick.)

- How are the infant care teachers at LSH BTV? I've heard stories about some infant care teachers simply leaving kids in beds/rockers staring into space all day. My little one hardly ever vocalises boredom. He simply waits for me to approach and then flashes me a toothless grin each time.. I'm worried he'll be neglected!

- Any instances of things like, diaper rash at LSH BTV (which of course shows that the child is not properly taken care of)?

- LSH BTV told me that they would help the infant develop according to interests. How effective is this? My child is missing some milestones so I would just like to know whether they would help him learn things like flipping / rolling / crawling etc.

- What are the methods of teaching? Any flash cards, books etc.? From my visit, it seemed as if there were only very few toys... Not much material to work with it seems. If we are dissatisfied with the materials, would we be able to provide them with materials like books / flash cards?

- How patient are the teachers at LSH BTV? My little one has problems feeding from a bottle (I'm training him now and trying to wean him from BF, so I'm expressing and saving milk instead). It usually takes him a long time to finish a bottle, and he makes things difficult like arching his back, uses his hands to try and dislodge the bottle from yours, kicking all the way through a feeding, but still manages to finish eventually because he's actually hungry. Not sure if the teachers at LSH BTV would have the patience to finish feeding him. I'm worried because at the last checkup we brought him to, he seemed a little underweight.

Sorry about the multiple questions! But I would really appreciate any comments / suggestions, or even referrals to good infant care centres in the area! Or just people to shed some light in the area of infant care. I've been experiencing a lot of nay-sayers who claim that infants are just left to rot in beds / rockers all day, and that the teachers are too busy to do anything constructive with your child! It's a pity that this is Singapore and it's simply difficult to survive on one income. Thanks much in advance! :)

chengtng:830080 said:
Hi All,

I will be returning to work after my ML in Nov, and we are looking for infant care facilities near the Dover / Buona Vista / Holland area. A maid is out of the question has it is very hard to trust a stranger to look after your precious little one... Do children who are sent to infant care develop slower than children who are taken care of by their own parents or grandparents? I'm truly concerned as I'm worried that the infant care teachers would not put in any effort at all to help a child (especially a quiet child). Any thoughts on this?

We've shopped around the area, and found only 3 IFCs. My First Skool is completely full, and we weren't too impressed by the infant care at One-North, so we were thinking of LSH By-the-Vista (also because we dont't know of any infant care facility which is nearby). Just wondering whether anyone has any thoughts to share? My principal concerns are as follows:-

- Any idea about the hygiene standards of LSH BTV? (I am concerned because I've exhausted ALL my annual leave for this year to spend as much time with my child as possible post delivery, so I'm not sure how I would be able to care for my little one if he falls sick.)

- How are the infant care teachers at LSH BTV? I've heard stories about some infant care teachers simply leaving kids in beds/rockers staring into space all day. My little one hardly ever vocalises boredom. He simply waits for me to approach and then flashes me a toothless grin each time.. I'm worried he'll be neglected!

- Any instances of things like, diaper rash at LSH BTV (which of course shows that the child is not properly taken care of)?

- LSH BTV told me that they would help the infant develop according to interests. How effective is this? My child is missing some milestones so I would just like to know whether they would help him learn things like flipping / rolling / crawling etc.

- What are the methods of teaching? Any flash cards, books etc.? From my visit, it seemed as if there were only very few toys... Not much material to work with it seems. If we are dissatisfied with the materials, would we be able to provide them with materials like books / flash cards?

- How patient are the teachers at LSH BTV? My little one has problems feeding from a bottle (I'm training him now and trying to wean him from BF, so I'm expressing and saving milk instead). It usually takes him a long time to finish a bottle, and he makes things difficult like arching his back, uses his hands to try and dislodge the bottle from yours, kicking all the way through a feeding, but still manages to finish eventually because he's actually hungry. Not sure if the teachers at LSH BTV would have the patience to finish feeding him. I'm worried because at the last checkup we brought him to, he seemed a little underweight.

Sorry about the multiple questions! But I would really appreciate any comments / suggestions, or even referrals to good infant care centres in the area! Or just people to shed some light in the area of infant care. I've been experiencing a lot of nay-sayers who claim that infants are just left to rot in beds / rockers all day, and that the teachers are too busy to do anything constructive with your child! It's a pity that this is Singapore and it's simply difficult to survive on one income. Thanks much in advance! :)
i'm giving birth in october. also staying at buona vista, holland dr. i enquired n theres a waiting list for d infants. finishing my ML in jan n most likely taking no pay leave for another 2 mths. my nx alternative is search for nanny nearby my inlaw place as my bto is end of nx yr. in law place has got dementia grandma n no place for maid to stay!worse:(

chengtng

i'm giving birth in october. also staying at buona vista, holland dr. i enquired n theres a waiting list for d infants. finishing my ML in jan n most likely taking no pay leave for another 2 mths. my nx alternative is search for nanny nearby my inlaw place as my bto is end of nx yr. in law place has got dementia grandma n no place for maid to stay!worse:(
Yes, My First Skool is full.. I signed up in Feb, and they said they'll call me by September, but until now, still no call... You can try Agape (at NTU Alumni Club) or Little Skool House (Community Club opposite Ghim Moh hawker centre).. Both seem to have vacancies for infants! Since your bto is next year, this seems to be only an interim solution.. but better search for infant/child care near your new place early!

Rye

I don't live in your area but regarding faster or slower learning, hygiene etc. there's no perfect situation.

Good:
1. Kick off pacifier habit at pcf without any extremities. I didnt hv to cut the pacifier like other moms n no need to dip it in chili to scare the kid. Bonus pt personally kid can now sleep thru peacefully without looking for a pacifier that had fallen out.
2. Learns to eat from spoon altho clumsily but still eagerness to self eat without my regularly teaching n training. Happy mom.
3. Learns to wait by sitting down when told to. Pretty much because there r so many infants! And pcf ratio is 1 to 3?
4. Other good habits n skills. Eager to clean hands before meals. Drink water from straw by observing other kids do it. Etc.

The bad!!:
1. Diaper change can be slow n may end up with rash. Mine did twice in 1.5 years. The teachers do not clean gently. Ends up with peel off skin n a screaming kid in bath water at home.
2. Occasional mix up formula milk feeds with another infants formula.
3. Packing medicine into wrong bag at end of day.
4. Toys r shared n may be infected with other infants drool.

Expect that your child falls sick frequently within first 2-4 mths. Mine did n I had to take so many days of leave. Recently tho I heard that we can get mc from your PD n it can be used as your mc??? Tho I have not verified. Maybe other moms can verify this??

Rye:831278 said:
I don't live in your area but regarding faster or slower learning, hygiene etc. there's no perfect situation.

Good:
1. Kick off pacifier habit at pcf without any extremities. I didnt hv to cut the pacifier like other moms n no need to dip it in chili to scare the kid. Bonus pt personally kid can now sleep thru peacefully without looking for a pacifier that had fallen out.
2. Learns to eat from spoon altho clumsily but still eagerness to self eat without my regularly teaching n training. Happy mom.
3. Learns to wait by sitting down when told to. Pretty much because there r so many infants! And pcf ratio is 1 to 3?
4. Other good habits n skills. Eager to clean hands before meals. Drink water from straw by observing other kids do it. Etc.

The bad!!:
1. Diaper change can be slow n may end up with rash. Mine did twice in 1.5 years. The teachers do not clean gently. Ends up with peel off skin n a screaming kid in bath water at home.

Expect that your child falls sick frequently within first 2-4 mths. Mine did n I had to take so many days of leave. Recently tho I heard that we can get mc from your PD n it can be used as your mc??? Tho I have not verified. Maybe other moms can verify this??
hey, thanx for d tips. when i get my infant enrolled i'll update here. haa...

chengtng

Good:

The bad!!:

Thanks much, Rye. Somehow no one I know has sent their child to infant care / needs to send their child to infant care. Will look out for the diaper rash, and also take temperature frequently. Thankfully it's the end of the year, and I still have childcare leave, so hopefully I will have enough to take leave should he fall sick in Nov/Dec.

Really really heartbreaking to have to send your child off to infant care especially after spending 24/7 with him... But no choice, MIL was supposed to care for child but she said she prefers not to, my mum works full time, so..

Rye

Thanks much, Rye. Somehow no one I know has sent their child to infant care / needs to send their child to infant care. Will look out for the diaper rash, and also take temperature frequently. Thankfully it's the end of the year, and I still have childcare leave, so hopefully I will have enough to take leave should he fall sick in Nov/Dec.

Really really heartbreaking to have to send your child off to infant care especially after spending 24/7 with him... But no choice, MIL was supposed to care for child but she said she prefers not to, my mum works full time, so..[/QUOTE]

Hi chengtng, it's alot of coordination in the beginning. I had a very flexible boss (he just left) so I could wfh or leave early on emergency days. MIL (her health is poor) could look after for 2hrs before I came back on some days so overall all these little help came in handy. Now my kid is happy at toddler class n adjusting well so now I can leave her there till almost closing on some days. We measure her everyday to get her use to a thermometer in ear, vitamin c n zinc syrup every Monday before sch, fruits at night after sch... Just about anything u can do to keep up immunity will be beneficial in the long term. Of course communications with the infant care teachers will help u feel more at ease everyday cuz u will know whether they genuinely care for your kid or not. Overall still had alot of good in sending her to childcare. Shes 19 mths now n can respond very well to conversations. :) good luck !!!

chengtng

Really really heartbreaking to have to send your child off to infant care especially after spending 24/7 with him... But no choice, MIL was supposed to care for child but she said she prefers not to, my mum works full time, so..
Hi chengtng, it's alot of coordination in the beginning. I had a very flexible boss (he just left) so I could wfh or leave early on emergency days. MIL (her health is poor) could look after for 2hrs before I came back on some days so overall all these little help came in handy. Now my kid is happy at toddler class n adjusting well so now I can leave her there till almost closing on some days. We measure her everyday to get her use to a thermometer in ear, vitamin c n zinc syrup every Monday before sch, fruits at night after sch... Just about anything u can do to keep up immunity will be beneficial in the long term. Of course communications with the infant care teachers will help u feel more at ease everyday cuz u will know whether they genuinely care for your kid or not. Overall still had alot of good in sending her to childcare. Shes 19 mths now n can respond very well to conversations. :) good luck !!![/QUOTE]

Oh dear.. Thankfully my hubby still has quite a bit of leave. My family has already offered to help us pick up our child etc., so hopefully we will be able to cope. Met someone who sends both his kids to another infant care who had good reviews, so I'm having a bit more faith in the system now :)

Unfortunately I don't have a very flexible job though can work from home at times, but hopefully between the two of us, one of us will be able to respond to anything urgent! Thanks for the tips re: the supplements for the kid... I have very very bad hours (standard 12-15 hour days), so hopefully the hubby will be able to manage to give our son what he needs!

Rye

The vitamin c n zinc syrup is called immunped. Got it fr PD but not sure what's the appropriate age but I guess no harm asking your PD.

babiesessential

My baby goes to infant care when he was 2 mths, i'm not staying in bounavista area. But maybe my sharing might help u

Hygiene is better than my house, they vacuum daily, scrub mats weekly and clean the toys.

They got developmental programme daily to aid baby development faster depending on their age. Eg, when 4 mth, they will give him toys, 6 month-shine touch light to trigger baby to crawl,music lesson etc.
Development is individual.

There are cons too, like they fall sick easily, follow the school eating /sleeping schedule

Ifc is not as scary, although accidents do happen sometimes, overall still acceptable.

chengtng

My baby goes to infant care when he was 2 mths, i'm not staying in bounavista area. But maybe my sharing might help u

Hygiene is better than my house, they vacuum daily, scrub mats weekly and clean the toys.

They got developmental programme daily to aid baby development faster depending on their age. Eg, when 4 mth, they will give him toys, 6 month-shine touch light to trigger baby to crawl,music lesson etc.
Development is individual.

There are cons too, like they fall sick easily, follow the school eating /sleeping schedule

Ifc is not as scary, although accidents do happen sometimes, overall still acceptable.
I see, thanks so much for the reassurance. After speaking to some people I think the development is not an issue at all, it's whether or not your child keeps falling sick... But i guess if he/she falls sick, can help to build up immunity too!

Sunflowercl

Hi Mummies, would you like to consider our infant and childcare centre located nearby to Clementi Mall? Please pm me if you wish to visit us, thanks.

chengtng

Hi All,

Just wanted to say that I have enrolled my child with LSH BTV and he has started infant care there. I have been going to infant care with him for the last 4 days, going in and out of class to run my own errands and do stuff I never had time for when i was taking care of him alone. I am really very pleased with what I see. The children who have been with them since they were as young as 2.5-3 months old have learnt to self entertain, and they look like they have all hit their milestones. The ones who are about to be promoted manage to say single words and also convey what they want. They also play well together. The younger kids are not left to stare into space (i have heard it happens at some places), and there is a lot of holding and comforting when a kid cries. Everyone is patient with the kids and no crying kid is unattended to. It is also a very nurturing environment... I say this because there seems to be a very good relationship between the educators and the infants - those who have graduated to the toddler class often come back into the infant room and they look very attached to their principal caregivers. The kids are rather well behaved and though they throw tantrums (sometimes! they're kids after all), they quickly realise that they can't always get what they want and move on to play with something else. There are amazingly not many fights each day! the kids also learn good habits like sharing, putting the toys on the table, asking for what they want, and also, when I told them "this is my bag / handphone, you can't play with it", they backed off without kicking up a fuss. The kids also learn how to interact with each other on an emotional level - when one kid cries for example, another kid would possibly offer that kid a toy, which is so sweet!

Also, my 4.5 month old kid is already laughing heartily when he's there. So well adjusted after just 4 days! :)

chengtng:838476 said:
Hi All,

Just wanted to say that I have enrolled my child with LSH BTV and he has started infant care there. I have been going to infant care with him for the last 4 days, going in and out of class to run my own errands and do stuff I never had time for when i was taking care of him alone. I am really very pleased with what I see. The children who have been with them since they were as young as 2.5-3 months old have learnt to self entertain, and they look like they have all hit their milestones. The ones who are about to be promoted manage to say single words and also convey what they want. They also play well together. The younger kids are not left to stare into space (i have heard it happens at some places), and there is a lot of holding and comforting when a kid cries. Everyone is patient with the kids and no crying kid is unattended to. It is also a very nurturing environment... I say this because there seems to be a very good relationship between the educators and the infants - those who have graduated to the toddler class often come back into the infant room and they look very attached to their principal caregivers. The kids are rather well behaved and though they throw tantrums (sometimes! they're kids after all), they quickly realise that they can't always get what they want and move on to play with something else. There are amazingly not many fights each day! the kids also learn good habits like sharing, putting the toys on the table, asking for what they want, and also, when I told them "this is my bag / handphone, you can't play with it", they backed off without kicking up a fuss. The kids also learn how to interact with each other on an emotional level - when one kid cries for example, another kid would possibly offer that kid a toy, which is so sweet!

Also, my 4.5 month old kid is already laughing heartily when he's there. So well adjusted after just 4 days! :)

hi chengtng. tats great to hear. i will chk out d place too. my bb is almost 1mth old now. hw much is d fee per mth?

Sunflowercl

Hi Mummies, would you like to consider our infant and childcare centre located nearby to Clementi Mall? Please pm me if you wish to visit us, thanks.

chengtng

wow tats alot. pretty ex
Yah, i ran into someone with twins at clementi polyclinic when i brought my son for his jabs and he said he is at the PCF at clementi ave 4 or 6, can't remember, and their infant care costs only 600+ a month.. you may wish to consider.. We only heard about it after we paid the fees and stuff and now that our son is so well adjusted i really don't want to go through another adjustment phase again with him, so would rather pay! It's rather heartbreaking really!