Infant Torticollis

Lotus77

Hi Elmo,

Yes, I do have a few years of experience in dealing with torticollis. I'll need more information before I can help you though... like how bad is the torticollis?, does it come with a tumour (which is not as bad as it sounds, actually)... how old is the baby, etc....

elmo168

Hi,

Oh, actually improved alot after a few session of therapy. Now he is 1 yr plus and the paediatrician think he seems ok. Need to go back 2 months after another review.

I want info abt child who has the abv problem and who is alreay 1 yrs plus.
Like to know how is their progress.

Lotus77

HI Elmo.

I'm glad the paediatrician thinks he's OK.

For those with mild to moderate torticollis, their development should be the same as with any other child. They should start to crawl, sit up, stand, and be able to walk around like any other children by the time they are 1yr+.... That is one way we chart the progress - by comparing their development to normal children.

Is that what you meant by 'how is their progress'??

Or you want to know about the progress of the Torticollis ?? - The particular muscle involved (STM) is already 'tight' at birth.... it improves with therapy (stretching, positioning, and exercises).

So if you want to know the progress of Torticollis - it gets better with therapy, not age. If the problem is not 100% corrected yet (ie. you feel that your child's head still senget a bit once in a while), then you can continue further therapy to get it corrected.

In fact, you should be trained by the therapist to continue the exercises at home. The exercises itself can be included as part of the child's playtime - that's why we call it 'play therapy'. It works better if you do it continuously as the child grows - their body grows longer.... so you will want both sides of the neck to stretch out equally as they grow.

PS. As the child is already 1yr+ the exercises will be different from earlier on (if you havent already noticed that its difficult to restrain a child and manipulate his head once he's reached that age).

elmo168

Oh, because after a few months of therapies, the therapist concluded that he is ok but we must continue to monitor when he is 1 yr old to see whether he can walk straight. He do able to walk at abt 10mth plus and he wanted to run now. We noticed that his head still tilt abit and he whenever he falls, he falls to the left side but his problem is at the right side of his neck. Visual, he looks ok and you won't knowledge his head is abit tilted. What I worried is that it will affected his brain development and his looks. I always look at his eyes to ensure they are both the same level. Does his fall due to his problem???

:embarrassed:

HI Elmo.

I'm glad the paediatrician thinks he's OK.

For those with mild to moderate torticollis, their development should be the same as with any other child. They should start to crawl, sit up, stand, and be able to walk around like any other children by the time they are 1yr+.... That is one way we chart the progress - by comparing their development to normal children.

Is that what you meant by 'how is their progress'??

Or you want to know about the progress of the Torticollis ?? - The particular muscle involved (STM) is already 'tight' at birth.... it improves with therapy (stretching, positioning, and exercises).

So if you want to know the progress of Torticollis - it gets better with therapy, not age. If the problem is not 100% corrected yet (ie. you feel that your child's head still senget a bit once in a while), then you can continue further therapy to get it corrected.

In fact, you should be trained by the therapist to continue the exercises at home. The exercises itself can be included as part of the child's playtime - that's why we call it 'play therapy'. It works better if you do it continuously as the child grows - their body grows longer.... so you will want both sides of the neck to stretch out equally as they grow.

PS. As the child is already 1yr+ the exercises will be different from earlier on (if you havent already noticed that its difficult to restrain a child and manipulate his head once he's reached that age).

Last edited:

elmo493

Re: Infant eczema

Hi Sera,

I believe you will get alot of reply if you will to creat a thread with the subject.
I believe it is very common for infant.

Hi all,

my son, coming 7 months has slight eczema. anyone with the experience can share???

Lotus77

Ya Elmo,

Your therapist is right - We have to monitor the baby until they start walking (around 1 - 1 1/2 years old, depending on the BB). If by now his head is STILL tilted a bit (when he is sitting or standing or walking), then you have to continue therapy to correct that.

For now, I'd advise you (and whoever is taking care of him) to monitor him visually for a few days and to note down whether he really falls to the Right side ONLY, or just more often on the Right than on the Left. That sort of information do make a difference. There is a possibility that (a few) babies develop problem with balance, and strength in the opposite arm/leg. Do take note of his hand function too - does he always reach for toys with one particular hand? Does he use both hands when he needs to handle balls and bigger objects??

If we can identify the problem, it is easily corrected with therapy using Developmental Patterns, and by learning ways to change his habits (Behavioural Modification). Note - Your therapist will actually have to see your child walking around and running around, then have him play with some toys to see whether he really has a problem or not.

Rest assured that torticollis does not affect brain development (IQ, mental functions) at all, but it may affect physical develpment (balance, posture, physical performance) a little bit. It wont affect his vision or the eye position, unless the head is tilted A LOT lah..... so there's no need to worry about his looks....

U worry too much lah, Elmo. Relax. Even if you dont do anything about it now, and U feel that BB is not 100% OK when by the time he is 5years old - the problem STILL can be corrected. Just dont wait until the growth spurt of puberty before you act.

elmo493

Thanks, will bring him to PD to confirm

Ya Elmo,

Your therapist is right - We have to monitor the baby until they start walking (around 1 - 1 1/2 years old, depending on the BB). If by now his head is STILL tilted a bit (when he is sitting or standing or walking), then you have to continue therapy to correct that.

For now, I'd advise you (and whoever is taking care of him) to monitor him visually for a few days and to note down whether he really falls to the Right side ONLY, or just more often on the Right than on the Left. That sort of information do make a difference. There is a possibility that (a few) babies develop problem with balance, and strength in the opposite arm/leg. Do take note of his hand function too - does he always reach for toys with one particular hand? Does he use both hands when he needs to handle balls and bigger objects??

If we can identify the problem, it is easily corrected with therapy using Developmental Patterns, and by learning ways to change his habits (Behavioural Modification). Note - Your therapist will actually have to see your child walking around and running around, then have him play with some toys to see whether he really has a problem or not.

Rest assured that torticollis does not affect brain development (IQ, mental functions) at all, but it may affect physical develpment (balance, posture, physical performance) a little bit. It wont affect his vision or the eye position, unless the head is tilted A LOT lah..... so there's no need to worry about his looks....

U worry too much lah, Elmo. Relax. Even if you dont do anything about it now, and U feel that BB is not 100% OK when by the time he is 5years old - the problem STILL can be corrected. Just dont wait until the growth spurt of puberty before you act.

kwtsy

hi all

sorry to bring up such a dated thread.

i have a 16 months toddler that has occasional head tilt (once a month, each time for a few days). the doctor ruled out torticollis when we brought her to the PD at about 7 months. she has no other symptons, just head tilt and each time it can be left or right. we can't figure why! could it be ear infection? teething?

thank you