Insurance coverage for your children

KJ mummy

Good news ! My appeal to the CPF board for my son to be insured under the Medishield has been approved ! Thank God for answering to my prayers!!

Although CPF has approved the coverage for my son and excluded those that are pre existing conditions and its complications, I am very glad that at least there are some hospitalisation insurance coverage for him. My son's recent long hospitalisation due to bronchities has wiped out a substantial amount of my Medisave funds and if the Medishield was in force then I would not have used up so much money for the bill. Therefore, I am thankful to God and also my son's neuro doctor who has helped us to write the appeal letter to CPF to review our case.

Now I am wondering whether I am able to buy any hospitalisation plan from the private companies that comes with "as charge" rider. Anyone can share?

Mummy to Baby V

Good news ! My appeal to the CPF board for my son to be insured under the Medishield has been approved ! Thank God for answering to my prayers!!

Although CPF has approved the coverage for my son and excluded those that are pre existing conditions and its complications, I am very glad that at least there are some hospitalisation insurance coverage for him. My son's recent long hospitalisation due to bronchities has wiped out a substantial amount of my Medisave funds and if the Medishield was in force then I would not have used up so much money for the bill. Therefore, I am thankful to God and also my son's neuro doctor who has helped us to write the appeal letter to CPF to review our case.

Now I am wondering whether I am able to buy any hospitalisation plan from the private companies that comes with "as charge" rider. Anyone can share?
Congratulations on your good news! :)
It seems that "as charged" riders are for upgraded plans. You'd need to try to upgrade to a private Shield plan and apply for the rider, which would be underwritten together.

MaLee56

Congrats KJ Mummy! At least one of us is lucky.
Mine got rejected too. :(
No coverage.... must work hard to save up and to stay healthy for our kids...

KJ mummy

Hi Malee,

Did you try to ask your child's doctor to write an appeal letter to CPF board? This is what I did. I told my son's neuro doctor regarding the cancellation of his Medishield coverage and he was very helpful to help me write a letter to explain to CPF board about my son's condition and I think it helped in our appeal.

Give it a try and dont give up so soon!

vinder79

Hi i have been having the same problem but it nvr matters 2 much as my son is on subsidize ward and sees a prof.the prof is only reviewing him every 3 mths so i am going to try to get him covered under medisheild.Also thks mummies for the advise of term insurance am going to source out my husband and agent 2 morrow regarding this.Currently both my sons have endowment policies which i pay for 10 yrs and it continues paying for itself.But termm insurance is an extra bonus thing for me.Thank you once again.:Dancing_tongue:

catherinebell

You are right to have declared your son's condition. If this information was withheld, the cover would have been approved, you'd be paying premiums for years, until there is a claim, the Dr would mention the pre-existing condition on the Claim Form, and the claim would be declined and cover cancelled. That would be a bigger disappointment.

Huntsville Single Mom

MaLee56

Hi Jadepei and KJ Mummy
Thanks for your offer to help. However my girl was already diagnosed with suspected brain insult from week 30. Moreover she was born prematured at week 33. So probably cannot appeal.

MaLee56

Hi Malee,

Did you try to ask your child's doctor to write an appeal letter to CPF board? This is what I did. I told my son's neuro doctor regarding the cancellation of his Medishield coverage and he was very helpful to help me write a letter to explain to CPF board about my son's condition and I think it helped in our appeal.

Give it a try and dont give up so soon!
Hi KJ Mummy
My girl's case is under Genetic unit. Condition is diagnosed as genetic upon conception and discovered during week 30 in utero. how to appeal lei?

lphbrenda77

Hi KJ Mummy
My girl's case is under Genetic unit. Condition is diagnosed as genetic upon conception and discovered during week 30 in utero. how to appeal lei?

I had the same problem when I tried to buy insurance for my daughter. She is born as a dwarf and the insurance company had rejected and said to apply in 2 years time. She is covered under the medishield but they have made exclusion for her genetic condition. I guess I cant do much other than saving regularly on my daughter's behalf.

katz

I also had a very bad experience with ntuc. They don't even refer your case to the underwriter, reject u straight w standard letter once they know ur kid spcl needs! I queried this and some girl wrote a one line email to me with spelling errors etc to tell me that I am rejected for coverage due to my daughter's syndrome!

I was so furious I wrote a very long letter to everyone in ntuc. They called to apologise and pretended to "investigate" my case for 2 weeks and still sent me a very patronising letter to reject me again!

I wish I knew which Minister was in charge of this area and who in the ministry can help our special needs children!??

This happened like a year ago and yet everytime i talk about it or write abt it i get so worked up! Sign... :)

Angelmum

I wish I knew which Minister was in charge of this area and who in the ministry can help our special needs children!??
:)

Have not seen any MP/minister so attentive and helpful to special needs kids/family. Knowing special needs education is so expensive, they didn't try to 'up' our baby bonus nor Edusave account. Talk about insurance and that so call 'Trust Fund' also not engineered to help us or our kids!

recently my husband tried to get medishield to cover my son's therapies...medishield came back saying that "application is approved, except for conditions pertaining to your child's autism."

$%^##%^

teenie

actually now have insurance that can cover unborn babies, in our times there aren't such....
so why can't they consider covering some for the special kids especially they are the ones who really need that

hi
need some advice..what are the chances of getting a life insurance plan approved for a mildly autistic child with occasional self injurious/suicidal behavior..
i hv a education policy for my son, with a rider for critical illness, and a coverage of $100/day for hospitalisation bought before he was 1 yrs old and before the diagnosis, but thats it...