Introducing solids to 4 month old baby

AngieTan

Hi all mummies,

My boy is turning 4 months old next week and I have bought Frisocrem Rice-based cereal for 4 months onwards and also some Heinz baby food from 4 to 6 months...

Was wondering how many times in a day I should feed for Frisocrem and for Heinz baby food, one jar I can feed how muc at one time in a day? As for Heinz fruit juice, I read somewhere that it's not good to give juice cos it's sweet, is that true?

diymummy

It is recommended to start solids at 6 mths, so I would recommend that you start solids only at 6 mths.

There're quite a number of threads in this forum on the same topic. Maybe you'd like to browse through the forum and check out the topics related to your question.

AngieTan

I saw those baby foods are for 4 months old onwards so I thought it is ok to give now... Is there a reason why should not intro solids now?

apollo

during 1st 6mth, milk shd be the only main food source for babies. and by introducing semi solid too early, the risk of getting allergic to the food is higher. if ur baby is taking enough milk, gaining weight well, think you shd wait until 6mth old b4 introducing semi solid. =)

AngieTan

during 1st 6mth, milk shd be the only main food source for babies. and by introducing semi solid too early, the risk of getting allergic to the food is higher. if ur baby is taking enough milk, gaining weight well, think you shd wait until 6mth old b4 introducing semi solid. =)
Thanks for enlightening me... I will take note... =)

diymummy

You should only start introducing solids when your baby is ready. Hence the recommendation to start at 6 mths. If your child's neck is still too weak to hold his or her head up, then chances are that he or she is not ready for solids. Introduction of solids is based on a child's readiness and not just age. For a checklist of your child's readiness, you can refer to the link below:
Introducing solid foods | BabyCenter

ling.er

I give my son try soild food when he was 4mth + big .. Aso friso cream rice base. He like it .. I give about 1 teaspoon to try 1st then slowly increase .. Till nw 7Mth soon every mornin i will give him cereal 1st after 1 hr + then follow by milk.. Is depend on baby itself.. Mayb u let ur son try 1 teaspoon 1st see hw it go. :tlaugh:

AngieTan

I give my son try soild food when he was 4mth + big .. Aso friso cream rice base. He like it .. I give about 1 teaspoon to try 1st then slowly increase .. Till nw 7Mth soon every mornin i will give him cereal 1st after 1 hr + then follow by milk.. Is depend on baby itself.. Mayb u let ur son try 1 teaspoon 1st see hw it go. :tlaugh:
Hi... I tried to feed him by spoon but he keep on pushing the spoon out with his tongue or spit out the cereal... In the end, I put the cereal into the milk bottle and cut a hole on the teat for him to suck... =.="

And hor, I thought cereal supposed to make them fuller and last longer till next feed? No? My son seem to get hungry easily after that leh...

diymummy

1) Your son hasn't lost his tongue thrust reflex
2) Feeding cereal thru a bottle poses choking hazards

apollo

please do not feed them cereal via milk bottle! it's dangerous as it might choke him! if he is hungry, just give him milk, just abit 'troublesome' but better than risking by adding cereal into the bottle. ds used to get hungry for milk lik every 2 hrs and we just feed him on demand.

AngieTan

Oh the cereal is not very thick kind... It's Frisocrem so still got milk in it... Actually I also don't know can feed through bottle, it's my mum, MIL and SIL told me to do so de... If it's better not to, how to intro by spoon? Any methods to stop his tongue thrust reflex and swallow the food? Or do I need to get those weaning bottle? Is it necessary?

veronica

Oh the cereal is not very thick kind... It's Frisocrem so still got milk in it... Actually I also dont't know can feed through bottle, it's my mum, mother in law and sister In law told me to do so ... If it's better not to, how to intro by spoon? Any methods to stop his tongue thrust reflex and swallow the food? Or do I need to get those weaning bottle? Is it necessary?
It's normal that they will reject for the 1st few times. Slowly they will love it..