Is chinese name necessary?

Lynn Kho

I'm chinese and my husband is malay. We never name our baby chinese name. I'm not sure my child will attend chinese or malay as his mother tongue language when he goes sch.

Is it a must to have chinese name if he take up chinese lesson even his race is malay-chinese?

Anyone can help?

marshmallows

Not compulsory :)

I have an Indian friend and her hubby is French. Their son is studying in government school taking Chinese as 2nd language but he doesn't have a Chinese name :)

Lynn Kho

Hi Marshmallow, thks for the reply..

Your friend & her husband were neither chinese but they encourage their son to take up a different language. That's good..

I kept question by my friends asking me to give my son a chinese name maybe partly becos i'm a chinese so it is better to haf chinese name. Well, actually i wan to give my son a simple name so he dun need to write his name until so long.. haha..

ast0212

It's up to you and your hubby really. It shouldn't affect your child's education...but then again I don't know how it works there.

Me and my son are born in Australia but we have unofficial Chinese names (not recorded on any documentation and no one calls us by it) because my parents thought it would make life easier and I thought so too with my son. My hubby and I gave him a Chinese name so he holds some kind of Chinese tradition :001_302:

Don't think it is a "must" because there are non-Chinese taking Chinese in school too heh...
It will of course help the teacher by giving the child a Chinese name since some Chinese teachers may not be proficient in English.
In any case, I think they will give the child a Chinese name during class if the child doesn't have one.. so you might as well choose a nice one yourself.

Since you are Chinese you might want to do it to carry on your heritage.

pixie

By race, I am a Singapore chinese and husband is British who have lived in Australia for the past 30 years. As he prefers our baby to learn chinese language, he is find that she has chinese name. Hence, in her birth cert, she has both english and chinese (as in chinese characters) name registered.

I like the idea as I feel that although the dad is non-chinese, I being the mother is chinese. It's more like carry on the heritage/root.

It's more of a personal preference - not mandatory.

sarahjiang

I've read a couple of the comments on here saying that its not necessary and i completely agree. But it most certainly doesn't hurt. I mean, chinese names can be quite complicated to give but like pixie said, it adds to the cultural heritage of your child. If you might find it troublesome, head over to https://BabyChineseNames.com I find this website a great resource when it comes to Chinese Names

Last edited: