Is Cord Blood Banking necessary?

Dragon76

Hi, this is my first pregnancy.
I've heard from frens abt cord blood banking.
Can anyone advice me on this?
If yes, which is better? CordLife or StemCord?
How much do I need to pay?

Last edited:

CanCanMum

i did not take up becoz i wasn't informed when and how to...back in 2005. I think a majority of mummies did not take up either during tat time.

if u r given a chance now why not?

But heard the 'rent' is not cheap.

But at least it can be used to save lives during emergency~ oso nowadays there are so many who-knows-what kind of childhood illnesses tat we do not have when we were kids....scary~

Worthwhile to do so...my opinion.

Ottermum

I gave birth last Nov... initially we wanted do it but DH changed his mind...said will probably do it when we have 2nd bb cos 2nd bb's cord blood can save siblings... now only 1 child so no need... (touchwood!!!)

Even asked our Gynae about it he says it's like buying insurance...of course you buy but hope nothing bad happens right? if something happens (touchwood again!!!) well your bb cord blood will be useful!

He says CORDLIFE's better if you'd eventually wanna store your bb's cord blood

not sure about the pricing...think it's about $2000 plus a year?? my friend said it's quite ex...

Hope it helps

Last edited:

January84

well I save for both my DS and DD. This is so bcos children up to 7 years of year are in highly risk of junior sickness, I do not wish to cry and regret if any thing really happens.
#2, especially if there is any hiredietary (sorry for wrong spelling, what i mean is "yi chuan") sickness in the family line, cord blood can help too.

the percentage for matching in family line is:
#1 is sibling
#2 is mother follow by
#3 is father

I sign up with stemcord, so the cord blood is banked in science centre park.

About the fee, there is a one time registration fee of $1070 (but mine is $800+ as my gynae and stemcord are tied together <sort of la> ) and yearly is $250.

for referal 2nd year is $200.

If you have decided to store and its stemcord you are choosing, can PM me and i can be your referral.

for stemcord there is no minimum or maximum years to store, there is no contract too.

For cordlife i think there is a minimum storage of 21 years? I'm not really sure of that, think you have to google online for both stemcord and cordlife and see which one suits u better =)

i dont think there is any minimum...you can stop anytime. You have a choice to pay annually or sign up for 10 year and 21 year plans.

Velvenie

Initially wanted to keep for the 1st child but end up nvr do so. Now 2nd preggy also change our mind cos dh said we save the $$$ to buy insurance for bb cos he said even u have the cord blood but if no $$$ still no use. So we will invest in insurance but of cos is depend on different individual point of view.

Ever check with my gynae too.. he said not necessary to keep. Tats why we give up.

lynnie85

Actually I was in between in making decision in whether to invest in cord blood banking...now already in my week 35... Firstly is that I'm currently having medication for thyroid as well as that my mother's side have family history of cancer. And the concern is if I'm suppose to do this, then will it b wasteful? And on the other hand, the price also don't come cheap due to the admin fee and rental fee.

pigletif

yes, the price is not cheap. As explained by january84, the price is the same as what my gynae told me last week. the yearly charges is fine but is the 1 time charge that killz..

but my gynae told me that the % of child getting the sickness is 1 out of 10 over thousand.

pixy

Hello,

I would like to share that i have done cord blood banking. Being a 1st time mother, i really did not know the merits of cord blood banking. My gyane was the one who pushed me to consider it. I dont think she gets a commission from anyone, so definately trustworthy.

Here are the main reasons why i chose to do private cord blood banking:
1. Cord blood banking is the ONLY way safeguard my family's future health. Buying medical insurance will only cover the medical bill, it does not guarantee total recovery. Banking cord blood can ONLY be done at birth.
2. THere are so many uses of cord blood stem cells, and is growing by the day. There are 80 treatable diseases that can be cured by cord blood.
http://www.cordlife.com/sg/whybankcordblood/whybankcordblood.php?target=whysavecordblood&target1=treatablediseases

If you dont already know, there are only 2 players in private cord blood banking in Singapore. So i spent 2 saturdays attending their seminars. Of course, they both claim to be better than the other competitor in the market. So i had to do some research.

Why i chose CordLife:
1. their CordLife Quality Guarantee - It assures you of a cord blood replacement or a compensation of up to US$25,000 if the cord blood loses its viability at the point of transplant.
2. superior Sepax - automated cord blood processing technology
3. AABB accreditation. The ONLY private cord blood bank that has it in SG.
4. They are the only one who has a proven and successful track record.

Check out the Cordlife video:
http://www.cordlife.com/sg/aboutus/videoresource.php?target=singaporetvc

I know most parents think that doing private cord blood banking is EXPENSIVE. Have to spend so much money, when there are so many more things to spend $ on.

You can use the government's Baby Bonus to Pay for it!!! Yippee!!! That's what i did! So no cash out from me at all. Baby Bonus is free money anyway!

Do consider private cord blood banking and if you do so, choose CordLife.

blackpiggy

I'm pregnant with my first child too. Initially, like every mom who wants the best for her child, i thought of (private) banking my baby's cord blood too. However, after some reading up, consideration and discussion with hubby. We decided not to do so.
Reasons being:
  1. Technology still relatively 'new', there's no actual proven record of how long these banks in sg can actually store the blood in good condition.
  2. Expensive fees
  3. Question of how long do you wanna store. 10years? If the child fall ill when he/she's 11-year-old? 10 years of $ spent and worse no blood for the child, more agony than not storing.
  4. Very very low possibilities of child getting those diseases
  5. Stem cells from the child's own cord blood often cannot be used, because they may have led to the disease in the first place. So its only useful for a healthy sibling to a sick sibling. If you are going only to have 1 child there's almost no use at all
  6. I have the fear that with the need to get enough or more cord blood, cord clamping may be done too soon after birth, my baby may be deprived of the normal amt of blood to be infused to him, resulting in lower blood volume and increased risk for anemia.
There are certainly many diseases successfully treated with cord blood and I'm sure the list of potential uses continues to grow, but I think private banking cord blood is not really useful for me now.

I might consider donating the cord blood to a public bank instead. Probably won't be able to use the child's own blood, but if needed I may get from others donated there. Also, it could be used for research or for another child.

diymummy

The public cord blood bank is free. It'll be considered a donation where anyone will be able to use it if there's a match. But I feel chances of it being used is pretty low.

You might want to find out more info at the Singapore Cord Blood Bank.

angelwendy

i donate mine as well.. cause wat i understand is... if touch wood.. if ur baby really get very very sick.. the cord blood that u bank in or donate is cannot be use.... cause the sickness will be in the cord blood as well.. so they will have to throw it away... so y not doante it so that it can help other?? when u dont really need it.... but of course in the end is ur choice... hee...

Renzie

I wanted to donate mine, but before i could go for their tests and screenings, I went into labour.

They will only take the cord blood if baby is at least 2.3kg, so we wouldn't apply for that anyway, as baby is only 2.1kg at birth.

fangying

I think there is already another thread regarding cord blood banking already, but for interested mummies, Pregnancy Workshop that is taking place this Saturday (25th Sept) at Traders Hotel Singapore from 10am-5pm! It includes Cord Blood Banking Consultation too for those interested in learning more about cord blood banking But the seminar also includes highlights such has handling emergencies and breastfeeding the right way Best of all? There is free entry with gynae appointment card! Hee. This is organized by CordLife, one of the private cord blood banks in sg.

In addition, there is also a BabyTalk organized by CordLife on 2nd oct (sat) at raffles convention centre, with one-to-one cord blood banking consultation too. You can head over to wwww.cordlife.com/babytalk to register or call 6238-0808 for more info :eek:)

Hope this helps!! :shyxxx: