Is it normal for...

megtan

Yes it's normal especially for newborns. Breastmilk is easily digestible and plus newborn tummy is small, just the size of his fist. Usually babies need 8-12 feeds over 24 hours.

If the latch is good, and baby has good diaper output, gaining weight, generally happy after each feed, it should not be case of low milk supply.

Could be due to growth spurts, where babies will nurse very frequently like every hour or long duration each time. You can read more about frequent nursing and growth spurts in the following links.

kellymom.com :: Frequent nursing
kellymom.com :: Growth spurts

yumitan

went for checkup today, the nurse at polyclinic told me to let him suckle for 30 mins for him to feel really full and can last longer.. but usually ds suckle for 10 mins and he will either fall asleep or feel full already.. i force him to drink and he will turn his head away.. if force again, he will cry :(

Amulet

One thing with polyclinic nurse, don't trust their advice on breastfeeding.. They are not educated on this nor pediatric stuffs, all their breastfeeding idea comes from friends or self-perceived..

10-15 mins sounds reasonable enough.. No point forcing him wen he is full.. Especially wen u can tell that he is feeling contented..

If u really wans assurance or advice on breastfeedig, it's better u call the BMSG hotline than to take breastfeeding related advices from nurses and GP..

PTB7476

went for checkup today, the nurse at polyclinic told me to let him suckle for 30 mins for him to feel really full and can last longer.. but usually ds suckle for 10 mins and he will either fall asleep or feel full already.. i force him to drink and he will turn his head away.. if force again, he will cry :(
same for my son... he will suckle 10mins and then fall asleep and he never had enuff so he will cry for milk every 1 hr + so my solution to this is express the BM and feed via bottle ... i will latch ocassionally but mostly feed via bottle ...this way i know how much he eat ...and he will stretch 2hrs ...as much as i enjoy the bonding during latching but he is not having enuff during the 10 mins so i have no choice for his good...but to feed via bottle

snooch17

same for my son... he will suckle 10mins and then fall asleep and he never had enuff so he will cry for milk every 1 hr + so my solution to this is express the BM and feed via bottle ... i will latch ocassionally but mostly feed via bottle ...this way i know how much he eat ...and he will stretch 2hrs ...as much as i enjoy the bonding during latching but he is not having enuff during the 10 mins so i have no choice for his good...but to feed via bottle
My girl has the same problem. She will fall asleep after 5-10 mins and each feed will take more than an hour. When I unlatch her, she will start to cry again. I also express to feed her and latch occasionally. I still feel bonded to her when I bottle feed her and this makes both of us happy. She has been gained about 0.75kg over the last 2.5 weeks. =)

PTB7476

My girl has the same problem. She will fall asleep after 5-10 mins and each feed will take more than an hour. When I unlatch her, she will start to cry again. I also express to feed her and latch occasionally. I still feel bonded to her when I bottle feed her and this makes both of us happy. She has been gained about 0.75kg over the last 2.5 weeks. =)
i know but latching will feel more bonded :p anyway this method of feeding has made my son gained weight above average haha... but lucky he is also taller than average so it even out :p

Amulet

try doing compression? slow milk flow bores the baby thus they falls asleep.. doing compression keeps the baby interested and drinks more and faster..

yumitan

i expressed out bm yesterday and tried to feed ds.. but he doesnt know how to drink thru the bottle ~.~ btw, i just had my menses, it's 1 month after my delivery.. is it normal ? i saw from another thread that this is symtoms of decreasing milk supply..

PinkDiamonds

When you have your period milk supply tends to dip. During this time you may find that your baby wants to drink more often than usual, but this is just his/her way of coping with the temporary drop in milk supply. Most important is to keep yourself hydrate by drinking lots of water. It helps to have a big glass of warm water every time you are BFing. Once your period is over your supply should be back to normal.

skchok

My baby girl also needs to suck for every two hours even though she is two months old now. She would spend 30 to 40 mins each time but will still cry after two hours past. I always latch on and seldom bottle feed so you can imagine she is literally cling on me all day. Tiring but satisfying when you can see her growing up.

Hi,

talking about menses, I have spotting every now and then, not a lot though, is this normal? I thought if we breastfeed, we will not have menses?

My baby also falls asleep when she suckle after 10 mins, it's more like a comfort for her rather than to satisfy her hunger. You can see her turning towards my breast when i carry her, so cute :)

yumitan

Rabby, whats your baby feeding interval? mine wants milk every 1.5 hours, evening can be every 1 hour, hes super timely..

Edwinie

Hi,

talking about menses, I have spotting every now and then, not a lot though, is this normal? I thought if we breastfeed, we will not have menses?

My baby also falls asleep when she suckle after 10 mins, it's more like a comfort for her rather than to satisfy her hunger. You can see her turning towards my breast when i carry her, so cute :)
my son is 4 months now and is on total breastfeed. i've got my menses twice and both times i'm just spotting. just require a pantyliner. i also realise that my supply drops before the spotting begins and then it goes back to normal.

from 0-6 wks, my son also feed hourly, especially at night. he's so sleepy to finish his feed. i can't wake him up at all even when i call his name, shake his hand, stroke his cheek.. so i thought he is done and i put him down. and then he wakes up within 5 mins and cry. that's when i started to bottle feed him. he gets his milk faster and gets full faster. i didn't have problem introducing the bottle to him. heard that if the bottle is introduced at around 6 weeks, the baby can learn how to suckle from it faster. not sure how true though.

yumitan

i went to KK PD 2 days ago and he told me that i need to space out the interval to 3 hours.. i asked him how do i go about doing that since baby will keep crying and it's not good for him to cry for 1.5 hours to hit the 3 hours interval.. he told me to just let him cry for half an hour and see how =.= or use pacifier to hold his hunger if i dont wanna let him cry..

ziggyy

Alpha Male
yumitan

why your PD give such advice? I thought it should be based on demand feeding? let your baby cry for 30mins? so poor thing! she will suck in so much air and get bloated instead, i would suggest you consult a lactation consultant instead.

Last edited:

Edwinie

i went to KK PD 2 days ago and he told me that i need to space out the interval to 3 hours.. i asked him how do i go about doing that since baby will keep crying and it's not good for him to cry for 1.5 hours to hit the 3 hours interval.. he told me to just let him cry for half an hour and see how =.= or use pacifier to hold his hunger if i dont wanna let him cry..
how old is your son? WHO and MOH says to DEMAND feed... I've got no heart to let my son cry like that...

Rabby, whats your baby feeding interval? mine wants milk every 1.5 hours, evening can be every 1 hour, hes super timely..
I express out the breastmilk and feed her every 2 - 3 hourly.
I agree it should be demand feeding too, I am surprised to hear that your doctor ask you to let your baby cry for 30 mins? That's not right in my opinion.

yumitan

i tried to hold his hunger with a pacifier today for 30 mins.. but the poor baby keep looking at my breast !!! so sad... i think i'll stick back to demand feeding, broke my heart to see him like this..

@Edwinie: DS is 7 weeks old now