Is it ok not to bath newborn daily?

Judy

Hi Ladies

Is it ok not to bath newborn baby for a week or two? Reason is because both myself and my MIL does not know how to handle a dedicated baby. My MIL proposes that we towel clean my bb and not bath his entire body for the first one week or two. :embarrassed: What do you ladies think? Also we are concern abt wetting his belly button as well.

stonston

i bath my son everyday when he was newborn lei...every morning will bath...hospital got teach us how to bath before discharge...

then evening time we use wet towel to wipe wipe...

if u realli need help, u can call the parentcraft centre of ur hospital of delivery...they will ask u to bring baby in n they will show u how to bath baby...dun worry :)

Angelmum

Hi Ladies

Is it ok not to bath newborn baby for a week or two? Reason is because both myself and my MIL does not know how to handle a dedicated baby. My MIL proposes that we towel clean my bb and not bath his entire body for the first one week or two. :embarrassed: What do you ladies think? Also we are concern abt wetting his belly button as well.
get a bathing net for yr bath tub in case slippery/shaky hands. Just need to dry the belly button with the liquid (forgot name) provided by doc.

For hygiene (bb vomit milk very smelly), better bathe. If uncomfortable to handle, y not consider a conf lady.

ireneliau

the first two week use towel clean should not be a problem..
but make sure baby is clean and smell nice after towel cleaning.. Cos there skin is very sentitive..
:nah::Dancing_wub::nah:
after baby belly button heal and dry up then can start to help him/her bath in water.. Yr will enjoy bath baby very soon..

stonston

oh ya, e PD got give a bottle of cord spirit..then my colleague's mum gave us a bottle of special powder to put on e belly button after use cord spirit...the powder is very good...make the belly button dry up fast..but i forgot the name of it le...

Mrs Xie

Bathe my dd everyday since newborn... my mom taught me how to bathe her by demostrating so it's not a prob. Bathe in the morning and wipe her with wet hanky in warm water in the evening.... currently giving her 2 shower each day since she is much more active than before and tend to sweat more :tlaugh:

Judy

Hi ladies

Thanks for the advices! Will keep my finger cross and see if my MIL and I can handle the newborn when he is born. Cos both of us scare of handling newborn as the neck will be very soft and etc. Probably will ask hubby to learn how to bath him etc and will definelty attend the classes organise by the hospital.

LoVeS

Hi Ladies

as u mention ur reason not to bath ur bb is bcoz duno how to handle dedicated bb, rite? I dun understand wat does delaying 1-2wks makes any diff? 1-2wks later bb's growth aso not much diff leh. Bathing bb everyday is important to keep them clean n hygiene issue.

nickmummy

Singapore's weather is too humid so it's ok to bathe the bb.. Hospital also bathe the bb when the bb born right.. just make sure bb does not catch any cold and need to make sure "all windows closed" and need to be fast fast.. but frankly I dun close all the windows UNLESS it's really a windy or rainy day..

rjj

All mummies here give very good advises. Yes, even 2 weeks later the baby is still very 'soft' we still hv to be very careful when handling them.

I suppose we just need to be very careful and those anti-slip mat and cord spirit are a must to help.

Let the nurses know in the hospital know your worry / concern, they should be able to help you. As a mum, I always believe we can managed somehow. Cos if we don't, who will??

Take care and all the best!!! Jia You!

yulee

Hi Ladies

initially me & dl also very scared to bath dd, esp when the neck is not strong & stable. so first few baths were done by my sis-in-law. then slowly i learned to do it myself and now very confident already. the key is to let his neck supports on your arm while yr hand hold on to his shoulder and dd is on sitting position. while yr other hand washes him in the tub. best to get a non-slip mat or a baby bath support. its ok to wet his belly button so long u wipe with cord spirit or antiseptic wipes & keep dry after dat.

most ang-moh magazines suggest no need to bath daily but weather is so humid here so better bath everyday... its good to keep dd nice nice and fresh fresh! so dun worry, u will get better each day, good luck :red:

nickmummy

All mummies here give very good advises. Yes, even 2 weeks later the baby is still very 'soft' we still hv to be very careful when handling them.

I suppose we just need to be very careful and those anti-slip mat and cord spirit are a must to help.

Let the nurses know in the hospital know your worry / concern, they should be able to help you. As a mum, I always believe we can managed somehow. Cos if we don't, who will??

Take care and all the best!!! Jia You!
Yes, I certainly agree that you saying "as a mom, we can managed somehow.." - if god give us a gift.. he will help you to receive and cope with it.. all mummies can do it

lynnsilhouette

Hi Ladies

NO, it is not okay to not bathe baby, as their skin is very sensitive, and babies are very smart, they will get cranky when they are dirty.

at first i was a bit shaky when i bathe my baby, but i got used to it very soon. so dont worry ok, dont give urself too much stress. as long as u support the neck then u are doing fine.

remember to pat baby dry esp at the private area if not they will get diaper rash easily.

if the weathr is cold, u can dont bathe, just towel clean.
if the bathroom is chilly, bring to tub to somewhere warmer like in the bedroom. remember to off the fan and close the windows.
good luck.:Dancing_wub:

lynnsilhouette

Hi ladies

Thanks for the advices! Will keep my finger cross and see if my MIL and I can handle the newborn when he is born. Cos both of us scare of handling newborn as the neck will be very soft and etc. Probably will ask hubby to learn how to bath him etc and will definelty attend the classes organise by the hospital.
Mothercare got sell this special tub for new born bbay. very good to use. u can just put baby in the tub. bb wont slip or drown. haha. im still using it. my dd is 5mths alr. will switch to the normal one when she can sit up on her own. its ok if water touches the belly button and cord. just make sure u dry it properly gently aft that.

raeka

normally bathing a newborn , is it best to use soapfree soap and is it ok if is 2 in 1 type for the baby? after bathing is it a must to use the moisturing cream for the baby?

myangela

oh ya, e PD got give a bottle of cord spirit..then my colleague's mum gave us a bottle of special powder to put on e belly button after use cord spirit...the powder is very good...make the belly button dry up fast..but i forgot the name of it le...

Yes the powder name Baneocin powder is good for drying up the cord after bathing n cleanse wz cord spirit... this 2 things is given to u after discharge fm hospital if not can get fm pharmacy.

myangela

normally bathing a newborn , is it best to use soapfree soap and is it ok if is 2 in 1 type for the baby? after bathing is it a must to use the moisturing cream for the baby?
Try to use a mild soap for bathing while it's up to individual some like to use bb lotion some like to use bb powder after bath so it's up to u.

tanlengleng

TSK TSK...
The nurse at hospital uses a dummy to teach,
it'll be easy of course...

Try bathing n active baby... :Dancing_tongue: