Is it safe for 6-month olds to sleep on the tummy in the night?

Tagmo

My 6mth old boy usually wakes up 4 times in the night crying because he couldn't flip over to sleep on his tummy. He prefers sleeping on his tummy instead of his back. It's rather worrying, considering SID... ...I found out from several reliable sources that it's safer after 8 months... ...any mummies wif similar issue?? :embarrassed:

For my boy..ever since he's 3 months old, he started to rowed over. So everytime during his nap or sleep during the night, he just loves to sleep on his tummy with no problem. you just have to makes sure his face is facing the side without blocking his breathing. N fyi, babies love to sleep on their tummy b'cos they'll feel more secure. :)

candy_ian

my boy started sleeping on his tummy since newborn. if your baby is already lifting his head up then no issue with sleeping on tummy i think. just keep a lookout.. :)

apollo

ds was slping on his back when he was young but when he turned 6mth old, he suddenly INSISTED slping on his tummy. We tried to flip him to his back and he will wake up crying, turn to his tummy again. Like you, we were wry that he might not breathe well, but so far, he is doing fine as he is able to turn his head well when he was 6 mth old. =)

kams

All my 4 kids sleep on their tummies since 1mth+. As long as they can lift up their head to change head position, shd be ok. Make sure the mattress is firm n dun use pillow ya.

Mummy to Baby V

My boy insisted on sleeping on tummy after about 9 months old.
Make sure mattress is safe, no pillows, soft toys, etc.
Check on him more regularly to make sure he can turn his head well.

Ting

actually regardless of age, this can happen, even to adults, so just keep a lookout when he is slping, check more often, even for pin who doesnt slp on her tummy (only started arnd 2-3yo), i also check on her every now n then to make sure. cos some ppl (adults n kids) die in their slp, not necessarily due to SIDS.