Is it too early to let 5 months old baby to use walk???

ast0212

I would think 5 months is definitely too early. Babies develop better when left on their own and they pick up a lot more skills in learning to sit, crawl and walk without walking aids and such :)

lyra

There r research saying walkers can impede baby's development instead so I'm not going to use walkers.

marshmallows

Actually like lyra, initially I was very against using baby walker too but I let my boy use it when he was 7 months til 9 months. Reason was because he was so fussy then and I had to keep carrying and entertain him ALL day. I was so exhausted and could hardly get anything done. He likes to stand upright so when I put him in the walker he was very happy and that kept him entertained for quite a while while I do my chores with him beside me. I stopped using it after he learned how to crawl cos I was afraid of the walker delaying his walking.

In fact I also think it depends with different babies. I have a friend's gal who was in walker pretty much all day long but started walking independently at 11 months. and my boy's been crawling around since 9 months til now almost 15 months still hasn't walk. I'm not worried though, he'll walk when he's ready to :)

But 5 months a little too early. Maybe 6 months if you are really gonna use one, and limit the time to not more than 20 mins per use. Also try to stop using it by 10 months cos that is the time they should be learning to pull to a stand and start cruising.

Last edited:

lyra

I also have a very fussy and attention demanding baby so I am thinking of getting him a jumperoo or something like that instead of a walker.

Actually like lyra, initially I was very against using baby walker too but I let my boy use it when he was 7 months til 9 months. Reason was because he was so fussy then and I had to keep carrying and entertain him ALL day. I was so exhausted and could hardly get anything done. He likes to stand upright so when I put him in the walker he was very happy and that kept him entertained for quite a while while I do my chores with him beside me. I stopped using it after he learned how to crawl cos I was afraid of the walker delaying his walking.

In fact I also think it depends with different babies. I have a friend's gal who was in walker pretty much all day long but started walking independently at 11 months. and my boy's been crawling around since 9 months til now almost 15 months still hasn't walk. I'm not worried though, he'll walk when he's ready to :)

But 5 months a little too early. Maybe 6 months if you are really gonna use one, and limit the time to not more than 20 mins per use. Also try to stop using it by 10 months cos that is the time they should be learning to pull to a stand and start cruising.

hotmilktea

I got something like a wagon or wat, can't remember the name. I also not buying walker for same reason.ni want a jumperoo but all very expensive and really use a while only....so still thinking about it

I also have a very fussy and attention demanding baby so I am thinking of getting him a jumperoo or something like that instead of a walker.

marshmallows

I have the Jumperoo too but my boy didn't really enjoy it for long. He screamed when he saw me walking out of the room lol.

marshmallows

I actually feel baby walker may not be that bad afterall if you have a really fussy and attention demanding baby. My boy even refused to sit in his highchair with toys and watch me cut veges in the kitchen. That fussy!

The only time I put my boy in the walker was when I really need to work on some chores and I really can't carry him with me. He gets to follow me around and keep himself entertained by touching things around him. And I would be chatting with him telling him the names of the things he touched etc. Once I'm done I'll carry him up from the walker and we resume our usual play routine. If u use it that way, I don't think it will affect anything at all. Nowadays he just crawls all over the house, following me wherever I go :).

Last edited:

Juz17

Opps, i let my boy try walker when he is 3 to 4 mths old...though i heard stories that it will slow down his progress in walking etc. Anyway my son though only started to stand and cruise when he is only 14 mths, but he started walking and running at 14 mths too... :)

shuzhen

I have the Jumperoo too but my boy didn't really enjoy it for long. He screamed when he saw me walking out of the room lol.
My son played the jumperoo before we let him sit on walker. Initiately he will jump whenever we put him in the walker and he thought it was the jumperoo. We told him he cant jump on it he has to walk. So slowly he learnt to walk with it and now he has get used to the walker, he walks fast on it and banging here and there. When he is in the walker, we have to look after him where ever he goes. Specially when he is near to the footstep, afraid he may trip and fall.

lyra

So is the jumperoo engaging for your baby boy? We brought my son to baby fair and put him in the jumperoo. I told him if he shows that he likes it, I'll buy for him. Guess what? Once his butt touched the jumperoo seat, he cried. My hubby is very happy because he saved money. The salesgirl and I are very sad...

My son played the jumperoo before we let him sit on walker. Initiately he will jump whenever we put him in the walker and he thought it was the jumperoo. We told him he cant jump on it he has to walk. So slowly he learnt to walk with it and now he has get used to the walker, he walks fast on it and banging here and there. When he is in the walker, we have to look after him where ever he goes. Specially when he is near to the footstep, afraid he may trip and fall.

shuzhen

So is the jumperoo engaging for your baby boy? We brought my son to baby fair and put him in the jumperoo. I told him if he shows that he likes it, I'll buy for him. Guess what? Once his butt touched the jumperoo seat, he cried. My hubby is very happy because he saved money. The salesgirl and I are very sad...
My boy initiately likes the jumperoo a lot. He can played for quite sometime but when day goes by he played only about 5 to 10 mins. After that he will cry and wants to be carried. Same for the walker, he doesn't like to sit for long. He prefers to be carried than seated by himself.

hotmilktea

I just got the jumperoo, my son sits in it and play with the surrounding toys that came attached. Then after a while he began to move by kicking his leg a little and realize the movement is not bu himself but the jumperoo , he cried! I think he is scared or what? When I carry him and sit beside the jumperoo, he cry too! So few times a day I put him in, he will play with the toys and then cry. I will carry on until he become confident. If He still don't, or I lose my patience, whichever comes first, I will keep it away. It takes so much space

lyra

You can keep it until 1 or 2 month later than give him. When he's older, he may enjoy it. You never know. Babies always change pattern one. haha. I kept the play gym coz my son seems to get bored of it. Cried when I put him on it. I took it out 1 month later and he played with it like its new.

I just got the jumperoo, my son sits in it and play with the surrounding toys that came attached. Then after a while he began to move by kicking his leg a little and realize the movement is not bu himself but the jumperoo , he cried! I think he is scared or what? When I carry him and sit beside the jumperoo, he cry too! So few times a day I put him in, he will play with the toys and then cry. I will carry on until he become confident. If He still don't, or I lose my patience, whichever comes first, I will keep it away. It takes so much space

magdalenechoo

actually i think excersaucer or jumperoo will be a better idea to keep baby occupied - but, again, diff babies have different 'styles'

as for the walker, oldern ppl say babies learn to walk sooner, some says it delay the learning process.

for my baby girl, we bought both the excersaucer & the walker - we will be letting the baby using it randomly, just in case she gets bored :)

as to how soon babies learn to walk, i think it really vary :)

supermommy123

Walker is good for babies only when they realized it as fun activity.
If we imposed walker on them like it’s there necessity then it will hamper the development of your toddler. While you are in some sort of work when you are not able to pick your kid with you then as an alternative its fine. Also choose the walker in such a way so that it grabs the attention of your kid as well.
And as long as the case of walking I m agree with magdalenechoo : it vary accordingly :)

echua

I think is alright to let baby use walker at 5 months old. As I let my baby boy use his walker when he only around 3 -4 months. and now he 9 months old and he know how to crawl very fast and he also know how to hold onto thing and stand up. :D