Is my BB drinking enuff milk?

Catherineong

Dear mummies,

My 1 & a half mth BB gal will latch on for a few mins and fall asleep, woke up half hr later or so on and wants milk again.
This cycle will continue... ...
Is my BB having enuff milk???

Dun worry, yr bb is definitely getting enuf milk, jus continue to latch. Their stomach r so tiny, dat's is why they feed so often. Newborn tend to be very sleepy during the beginning, try tickling his cheeks to get him to feed.:001_302:

diymummy

Try to aim for a full feed if you can during each feeding. I wake my son up to continue drinking if he falls asleep at my breast.

During growth spurts it is normal for them to feed as often as every half hr or every 1 hr.

You can tell if your baby is having milk if she is having 6-8 wet diapers a day and gaining wet.

IreneNg

Can anyone help? my baby is just borned 3 days ago and i really had problem latching on, i asked the lactation consultant at Mt A and she said that there is milk, just that it is unable to come out. I have also tried to express milk but nothing came out. I am worried that my bb is not getting enought milk and i am feeding him with abit of formula (10-15ml) cos my pediatrician said on the second day that his lips abit dry.... anyone help? should i mix formula with breastmilk?

diymummy

Mixing formula with breastmilk is fine. My son had a bit of formula with breastmilk too coz the pd also advised us to do that since my son was losing weight.

As long as your baby is having 6-8 wet diapers a day and is gaining weight, it means that your baby is having enough. If your baby is jaundiced, he tend to be sleepier than usual.

Mummy to Baby V

I also aim for a full feed every time. Keep tickling him to keep him awake while feeding. Dress baby lightly cos he feels more sleepy when warm & snug.

For my boy during newborn stage, a full feed took 30-45min, so I'd aim for that. This way, he can last 2 hours between feeds.

Growth spurt commonly occur about week 6, and my boy kept wanting to feed non-stop.

snowbear

Dear mummies,

My 1 & a half month baby gal will latch on for a few mins and fall asleep, woke up half hr later or so on and wants milk again.
This cycle will continue... ...
Is my baby having enuff milk???
If your bb is having enuff wet diapers (at least 5-6) for the day and gaining weight, it shld be fine.

There are periods when they go through growth spurts and may need to nurse more often than usual. Also, sleepy babies who may not get enough milk during a feed (coz they fell asleep) may wake up hungry again and ask to nurse. If bb falls asleep during nursing, try to tickle the chin and see if bb wakes and continues nursing or switch sides.

snowbear

Can anyone help? my baby is just borned 3 days ago and i really had problem latching on, i asked the lactation consultant at Mt A and she said that there is milk, just that it is unable to come out. I have also tried to express milk but nothing came out. I am worried that my baby is not getting enought milk and i am feeding him with abit of formula (10-15ml) cos my pediatrician said on the second day that his lips abit dry.... anyone help? should i mix formula with breastmilk?
Your milk supply is still being established in the first few days and even take a few weeks. Just continue to be conscientious in latching/ expressing and don't worry so much about how much you managed to express becoz stress will affect supply.

Mixing a bit of fm with bm is fine but rem that latching on is the best way to stimulate milk supply. The next best alternative is to be hardworking when it comes to pumping!

All the best

iwan2noe

Can anyone help? my baby is just borned 3 days ago and i really had problem latching on, i asked the lactation consultant at Mt A and she said that there is milk, just that it is unable to come out. I have also tried to express milk but nothing came out. I am worried that my baby is not getting enought milk and i am feeding him with abit of formula (10-15ml) cos my pediatrician said on the second day that his lips abit dry.... anyone help? should i mix formula with breastmilk?
All mummies,

Pls do not mix breastmilk together with FM. I mean if u wanna mix, let ur bb drink FM first then BM, not pour FM into BM.. ok?

I think it is very impt to clarify as many mummies will tot that mixing FM and BM is pouring it together and mixed it b4 feeding their bb..

Hope this clarify.. =)

blursotong

All mummies,

Pls do not mix breastmilk together with FM. I mean if you wanna mix, let your baby drink FM first then breast milk, not pour FM into breast milk.. ok?

I think it is very impt to clarify as many mummies will thought that mixing FM and breast milk is pouring it together and mixed it before feeding their baby..

Hope this clarify.. =)
May I know the reason why FM & BM cannot be mixed together? When my girl was admitted to KK for dehydration treatment, the nurse at the A&E ward mixed my BM with FM as I do not have sufficient BM supply for the baby.

Hi Irene,

First few days milk supply is low and is normal, don worry, just continue let ur bb to latch on n get nurse to help u the correct way of latch on to make sure ur nipple wont crack. I faced same prob with u while still staying at hosp n I get nurse to feed her fm cox i don know whether my milk enough for her.

I was deliver at Mt A one mth ago and nurses there did help me lot on teaching me how to bf my bb..

May I know the reason why FM & breast milk cannot be mixed together? When my girl was admitted to KK for dehydration treatment, the nurse at the A&E ward mixed my breast milk with FM as I do not have sufficient breast milk supply for the baby.
Actually u can mix ur breast milk together with FM, but we are not enourage to do so. This is because breast milk is precious, you should let ur baby fiinish all your breast milk first, then give the baby FM. If you mix both together, when baby cannot finish the milk, this mean your breast milk waste.
Thanks.